Team Fortress 2 update thread. No hatin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess since the topic is back and choking, let's talk pipes.

SteamPipe is Steam's new content distribution system. It changes the way games (including dedicated servers) are downloaded, updated and stored.

Link to the support page, explaining the situation.

Basically, players get faster and smoother downloads, boot and map load times, easy mod management (already noticeable with Left 4 Dead 2) and servers will be updated to the newer versions a lot faster than having to wait ages for it.

With this means changes. GCFs are dead, brother. Your Source games will be directly in the filesystem, in VPK archives. This is where we'll get faster download and performance rates. And if you're hosting a dedicated server, and rely on HLDSUpdateTool, that's done. You'll now be using SteamCMD, a stripped down version of the Steam client. At this time, Team Fortress 2 is the only game you can't host a server on with SteamCMD.

DoD:S, CS:S, TF2, and HL2DM are the games getting the SteamPipe. They're all to be on it by the end of April.

I see this as a good move. The GCF system was bothersome and really did take time to load stuff. Valve's working to improve their service, and that's a good thing.

Giant updates ahead

Original post placed here
Big updates headed our way!

For years, bugs have gathered up and slowly brought Team Fortress 2 to be a crummy and often annoying time for some team. WELL NO MORE!

Move those Maps up!
-
So first off, two more community maps are being made official. cp_Standin (for who) and cp_(blast)Process(ing). Standin is a sort of multi-flank free grabbing control points map which relies on map control to complete. Process is a standard 5cp tug-of-war similar to the likes of cp_Badlands.

Along with that, we're seeing A LOT of map updates, fixing exploits that left a team incapable of progressing, and other such things.
=

Move those Weapons up!
-
Nerfs and changes to weapons in order to help balance things out. The Battalion's Backup, a Buff Banner equivalent, is being changed from charging by damage input to output, and will provide additional damage resistance on charge use. Dead Ringer is getting a nerf, since almost everyone uses the damn thing, and item set bonuses are being tweaked so having to have that cosmetic item won't be a big deal anymore, and will prioritize the weapon instead of the set. Not that it seemed like a big deal anyway, I have the Milkman and the Attendant completing some set bonuses, but whatever...
=

Move those Votes up!
-
The introduction of the item import tool has brought over 900 gold star items, which they recently selected 64 of those items to vote on. There's 6 steps to it achieving TF2 Fame and Fortune in the game. If you wanna make an item, use those 6 steps and do it.
=

Additional updates are sure to come, so I'll edit this post accordingly. Do remember the crates. We got the Summer Appetizer crates around right now, and you should get a claim check if you can for the coming crates!
Move that Update up!

The update has been released, converting summer claim checks to the Summer Cooler, and providing us over 60 new community items. Some updates are highlighted in the list below. Full patchlist in the link above.
  • In MvM, if all team members unready, the pre-round countdown will stop
  • In MvM, when robots are killed by sniper headshots or explosive headshot upgrade, they will drop ‘red’ money that will automatically be collected when it would otherwise dissolve
  • Fixed suicide deathnotices showing the dead player's last deployed weapon instead of the skull and crossbones
  • Fixed characters in the loadout page sometimes appearing as if they were cloaked
  • Added cp_standin and cp_process
  • Renamed mvm_coaltown_event to mvm_ghost_town to fix a problem with voting for challenges in MvM when on Coal Town
  • Several map patches
  • Several weapon patches and rebalances

Last edited:
Team Fortress 2

I'm going to begin this by saying that I feel sorry for any Steam user who hasn't played this game yet.

Team Fortress 2 is maniacal fun, I just love seeing my Heavy blown to little gibs by a soldier's rocket.

What do you guys think of this game?

Inb4 hat post.

TF2 is fun as all hell. It has so many different weapon combinations and a bloody massive trading community.

The art style and physics of this game are what make me love it. You know a game is awesome when you could just theoretically move around in a random enviroment in the game with nothing to do and still be entertained because of the way the game handles. The only games that gave me that feeling apart from Tf2 were the Sonic Adventures and the Jak & Daxter series.
Every class is fun to play, and while there are some balancing issues or things that are just plain annoying (stock Scattergun and Gunslinger come to mind), I still have fun every time I'm playing this game.

Almost 3000 hours in the game over a span of 4,5 years and still not fed up of it. Heck, I haven't even touched the competitive side of the game.
So much metagame potential. So much fun to be had.

Also one of the best f2p systems so far (no substantial gameplay restriction nor Pay2Win), only rivaled by Loadout's.

EDIT: I'm surprised it's been since 2007 and no one did a topic about TF2.

Last edited:
I really love TF2. The most recent update is the best one, like, damn! Conga, Skullcrack, Partner Taunts with the other team allowed in any server now, new weapons (sadly, not many, but each one of them was very cool.) AND we are still waiting for the next BIGGEST update (End of The Line, along with the movie).

Also this game is probably the best FPS game of all time! It has a lot adrenaline-pumping gamemodes. And it's definitly a very rewarding experience that any Steam User MUST try out. It's kinda like Minecraft: you can't judge the game unless you play it; seriously.

So any Steam User listen. Play this bloody game.

You will NOT regret anything.

Uhh...+Yeah.png

Steam is love,
Steam is life.

But anyway, Team Fortress 2 is endless fun, no matter what. I especially love being the Demoman.

We already had a TF2 thread. Please use the Search feature before assuming one doesn't exist.

Threads merged, anyway.

So not too long ago, while playing in a party/fun server, this guy whom I never met gave me a wrapped gift. When I opened it, I got this:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=277748779

Now, according to one of my friends, this is like one of the cheapest unusuals ever (Not even worth 1 bud), but the effort was there, and I thanked the person accordingly; with a Hi-Five and a match of Rock Paper Scissors, which ended in my favor as I got to gib him with a Medigun.

Fun times are fun.

I once met a guy called The Epic Engineer, who started to give away a lot of presents, AND THEY WERE NOT CRATES!!

He gave out around 15 weapons to EACH player on the server (Including ME) AND he went to the Mann Co. Store and bought 15 KEYS. He gave them away to everyone. Including me.

Call me a lucky bastard.

I once met a guy called The Epic Engineer, who started to give away a lot of presents, AND THEY WERE NOT CRATES!!

He gave out around 15 weapons to EACH player on the server (Including ME) AND he went to the Mann Co. Store and bought 15 KEYS. He gave them away to everyone. Including me.

Call me a lucky bastard.

People are always nice. I remember getting a (free) Festive Force-A-Nature from someone on Smissmas.

Okay... remember the hype we all had when the End Of The Line Update was announced...? When we were told weapons would be a major part of the update...? Or when we all thought the map was going to be added...?

Me freaking neither.

For FIVE Dollars you can now count ducks. You can spend more MONEY to increase the amounts of ducks you get from killing players. Heh, money well spent.

Seriously this update was freaking disapointing. At least Smissmass was a good update. Demoman got a load of shit this time. 2 New weapons, Loch N Load BUFF (Which doesn't make ANY sense, since the gun has 2 barrels but can fire 3 SHOTS.), and loads of cosmetics.

BTW, Panic Attack is my jam.

Also, festive weapons. We got a shotgun now. And a BONESAW!

Valve's been trying for a while now to shift focus away from the sticky launcher in order to shift the player's attention toward the grenade launcher. Grenades are more consistently effective now (LnL no longer randomly 1-shots classes, hence the clip increase), and stickies are a bit harder to use for offensive purposes due to the blast radius nerf. It's more of a rebalancing than a buff or a nerf.

I don't really play this game anymore, but I dig the new multi-class shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back