How do I soc a Hang-Rail type object...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on some levels and level ideas for my TMTO mod, and I struck up the idea of adding a sort of hang rail to give it that classic feel of STH3&K, but I have no idea how to do this, can someone (soccers/level-makers) help me out? And don't tell me that this is impossible, I know it can be done because I have seen it done before!
Also for those who don't know what I mean here is a pic of the hang-rail from STH3&K Angel Island: Zone 1 Act 1.
railhm1.png

I don't think it's possible to do that in this version, but I think it'll be possible to do it in 1.1, with the help of polyobjects.

Monster Iestyn said:
I don't think it's possible to do that in this version, but I think it'll be possible to do it in 1.1, with the help of polyobjects.

Oi, but I am not so sure that I can easily wait for v1.1 to come out...

I have an idea of how you can pull this off.

Make a zoomtube and some waypoints determining the direction that you'll travel in. Now in the direction that you'll travel in, have a big invisible, intangible FOF that is a linedef executor (Sector type, anywhere in sector) that executes a state changing linedef that's tagged to that invisible intangible FOF.

And maybe have an object capechasing you for good measure, but that's only for visual effect. Flame's explanation should get it to work.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
I have an idea of how you can pull this off.

Make a zoomtube and some waypoints determining the direction that you'll travel in. Now in the direction that you'll travel in, have a big invisible, intangible FOF that is a linedef executor (Sector type, anywhere in sector) that executes a state changing linedef that's tagged to that invisible intangible FOF.

Well, I haven't the slightest idea on how to succesfully create a working zoomtube, everytime I try it ends up not working...

Haha, no. Firefox is just trying to open it inside its browser, and it can't really do that.

Just right click the wad link and Save As.

EDIT: blarg

http://www.flame.sepwich.com/srb2/wads/test-hangrail.wad
Here's what I came up with.

Zoomtubes are quite bugged in the current state that they're in. You have to use the end sector as the starting sector. I also find that it works well without a starting sector. This is the way I did it and it works very well.

Also as a notice, I added two Zoomtube waypoints at the end in the same spot to halt the player's movement and not go flying. But of course it's your choice what you want to do.

Please, Flame, Waypoint Sequence 0 is buggy. Use a different Waypoint Sequence and your Zoom Tube should work flawlessly. Doing so works for me all the time!

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Please, Flame, Waypoint Sequence 0 is buggy.
What do you mean? It works fine for me. I was showing how to make a hang rail type thing using Zoomtube waypoints.
Rather, I don't see anything wrong with it.

You set it up right. It's just that SRB2 often messes up with Waypoint Sequence 0 for completely random reasons. You could have made it working, then add things to the level, and it would fall apart.

hmmmnk9.png

Now aside from a little scenery, how can we make this look realistic, like sonics holding onto an object attatched to the rail...

Also, if anyone is wondering why I need this type of thing for my mod, well, I plan on putting a visit to knuckles on angel island into the storyline,
as once a few strange events start occuring, sonic and tails will go to angel island to see if knuckles knows anything about it (the master emerald fits in here somewhere, apparantly knuckles can use it to sense things.)... Basically the storyline will force you to relive a couple of s3&k levels in order to get to knuckles at the altar...

I think I have an Idea, make an Mobj that is right next to the zoom tube, make it have zero gravity and pushable flags, and make an FOF above the zoom tube point that looks like a rail.

It might work. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back