Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

CD Sonic Details »»
CD Sonic
Developer Last Online: Oct 2018

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating:
Released: 03-24-2018 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
Characters SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Spoiler: Background Information
So, I started dabbling in Lua scripting for SRB2 about a year ago this month, and CD Sonic was the first project I remember working on. I took all the sprites I could find from Sonic 1 and Sonic CD to create a barebones character upon which I could construct custom abilities. Needless to say, it wasn't a particularly impressive project, nor did I ever have the intention of bringing it to the Message Board. Yet for some reason it was quite popular among the people I showed it to, and soon it somehow became an uncommon but fairly present mod in many public servers. There are several different versions and edits floating around at this point; in fact as I was writing this post I stopped to check the Master Server and, sure enough, I found a server playing with someone's edit.

Because it became so popular, I've decided to release a definitive edition onto the Message Board! I'm aware that sprite rip characters are generally frowned upon and I would be lying if I said it wasn't an awkward thing for me to submit, but I've done my best to make up for it by including a plethora of fun abilities.

As if you haven't had enough of Sonic clones, here's CD Sonic! Don't worry; you'll find there are a lot of differences between CD Sonic and any other Sonic we've had in SRB2 so far.

First off: the crouch.

Instead of charging his Spin Dash right away, CD Sonic crouches when you press spin. From here, you can do two things: start a Spin Dash, or start a Super Peel-Out. To charge a Spin Dash, repeatedly tap the jump button; you'll retain the charged up speed until you let go of the spin button to burst forward as usual. To charge a Peel-Out, press forward instead. Unlike the Spin Dash, you only need to press the button once, and you can cancel the move by jumping.

Oh yeah, and the crouch also reduces CD Sonic's height. Might come in handy for certain levels.

Now for CD Sonic's primary ability: Spring Spawn!

While jumping in mid-air, you can press either jump or spin to spawn a spring that will propel CD Sonic either forwards or upwards, respectively. (Note that if CD Sonic is wearing a shield, pressing spin will perform a shield maneuver instead.)

Finally, CD Sonic's unique mechanic: Chaos Emerald powers!

Inspired by Sonic CD's Time Stones, each Chaos Emerald that CD Sonic acquires will grant him a unique ability. Use the weapon selection keys to highlight an emerald, and press fire (or Custom 1, if you prefer) to activate it! Do note that as a drawback, CD Sonic can't use his springs while any emerald slot is highlighted. Collect enough emeralds, however, and you'll start learning how to chain the actions together to perform some nice maneuvers! Here's a peek at what a couple of the powers are—you'll have to figure out the rest on your own!

CD Sonic can't use the Chaos Emerald abilities in ringslinger gametypes, to avoid conflicts with the regular weapon ring selection.

There are a few other neat additions, such as NiGHTS sprites while FSonic is added, and a classic-style control set in 2D levels. Enjoy!

(Please note that the WAD is Wadzipped.)

Download Now

File Type: zip cdsonic.zip (596.7 KB, 3879 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20556.gif
Views:	9649
Size:	5.66 MB
ID:	12447   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20559.gif
Views:	8486
Size:	4.59 MB
ID:	12448   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20560.gif
Views:	8181
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	12449   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20558.gif
Views:	8522
Size:	5.00 MB
ID:	12450   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20557.gif
Views:	8484
Size:	7.39 MB
ID:	12451  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 5.51.48 AM.png
Views:	7710
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	12453  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-30-2018   #22
who-what-where-whale
who-what-where-whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I mean if you really want to poke at the super sprites being wrong, he's got 2 extra spines there
I thought those were supposed to represent the anomalous extra spine that appears when looking at super sonic from the side; the extra spine that toei Sonic also mysteriously has sometimes.
Old 03-31-2018   #23
Chrispy

From the Sonic 3 sprite I always assumed that extra spine was just one from the other side of his head
Old 04-02-2018   #24
Fres
oof

So I played around with this a bit, and it was really fun, even without a single emerald, the spring thok and double jump made speeding through the stages fast and exhilarating.

I've yet to try the emerald abilities, but what I've seen so far kind of reminds me of the Custom Shoes' gem abilites from Sonic 06.

Disregarding the whole sprite color situation, this wad is a solid 10/10 for me, and that's just without the emeralds.
Fres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #25
ToeiSoni1998
Default Homing Attack Addition?

I love your CD Sonic Character Mod here. If it's possible, could you please update CD Sonic with the Homing Attack...? Maybe then it can balance everything out instead of CD Sonic being to overly difficult since I have an extremely hard time playing as him. I love the ability of using the Chaos Emeralds and everything, but I feel (and possibly others) would agree that CD Sonic needs a Homing Attack to balance CD Sonic's Move set and Game play. This wad is a solid 10/10 for my book in my Mod Folder, and that's just without the emeralds. I still very recommend you give CD Sonic a Homing Attack.

Last edited by ToeiSoni1998; 04-11-2018 at 03:06 PM.
ToeiSoni1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #26
Elyos03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeiSoni1998 View Post
I love your CD Sonic Character Mod here. If it's possible, could you please update CD Sonic with the Homing Attack...? Maybe then it can balance everything out instead of CD Sonic being to overly difficult since I have an extremely hard time playing as him. I love the ability of using the Chaos Emeralds and everything, but I feel (and possibly others) would agree that CD Sonic needs a Homing Attack to balance CD Sonic's Move set and Game play. This wad is a solid 10/10 for my book in my Mod Folder, and that's just without the emeralds. I still very recommend you give CD Sonic a Homing Attack.
Just to make sure, he ALREADY has a Homing Attack. If you get the 3rd Emerald, of course.
Old 04-11-2018   #27
Lach
hop

Elyos is correct! Grab the third emerald and you can use ringfire/custom 1 to perform a homing attack.

Also, apologies to all for not getting the update done yet. I'm really busy with school at the moment, and I've also been working on other WADs (I worked on the recently released TSonic; go check that out if you haven't already!).
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #28
Sinny33

Are there plans for CD Tails for Tag Team for them both? I'm just wondering and it would be cool to see it.
Sinny33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018   #29
Cabelio
The "Last Hero"

Some of these gems really need balancing and tweaks so that all of them are fun to use and able to all be used more often.

1: White gem may benefit from a range debuff, an inaccuracy factor or a cooldown (suggestion of 30-60 seconds, or using rings).

2: Orange gem should probably be able to give invincibility to projectiles, just enough so that it can be used as an anti-enemy tool, but not so that you can cheese everything like the white gem.

3: Red and blue are fine, in my opinion.

4: Light blue gem would likely benefit from a built-in attack if it doesn't have one. (I'm not entirely sure if it can be used as an attack, but being able to collect rings while attacking would be fun to use and used more often).

5: Purple gem should NOT be able to be used with an elemental shield, it makes a combination that breaks almost everything due to extreme constant jump with the bounce.

6: Green gem should be able to be held for easier use, like the purple gem.

7: I think it'd be helpful if you could reorder the gems so that you can have your favorites up front.

I'm not afraid of critiquing, go ahead and bounce your ideas off mine.

Last edited by Cabelio; 07-04-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Minor wording change, as to avoid confusion.
Cabelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018   #30
Lach
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny33 View Post
Are there plans for CD Tails for Tag Team for them both? I'm just wondering and it would be cool to see it.
No, sorry! I don't want to work on any more sprite rip WADs. I've already outlined the reasons why this one was an exception.

With regards to updating CD Sonic—I'll hopefully pull out a small patch in the future to fix some of the bugs/issues, but I've decided I'm not going to make many changes to his moveset (if any at all). I'm involved in a lot of other projects for 2.1 at the moment, so I don't think this character is worth much more of my time.
Old 07-06-2018   #31
Sinny33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lach View Post
No, sorry! I don't want to work on any more sprite rip WADs. I've already outlined the reasons why this one was an exception.

With regards to updating CD Sonic—I'll hopefully pull out a small patch in the future to fix some of the bugs/issues, but I've decided I'm not going to make many changes to his moveset (if any at all). I'm involved in a lot of other projects for 2.1 at the moment, so I don't think this character is worth much more of my time.
Then what if MotorRoach can? I will just give links to Tails' Sprite Sheets. He did appear in CD after all.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc...1/sheet/55459/

https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc...1/sheet/55461/

I just would like to see that.

Last edited by Sinny33; 07-06-2018 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Just wanted to see more and the scource.
Old 07-06-2018   #32
Lach
hop

Quote:
Then what if MotorRoach can? I will just give links to Tails' Sprite Sheets. He did appear in CD after all.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc...1/sheet/55459/

https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc...1/sheet/55461/

I just would like to see that.
MotorRoach is the person least likely to make a character out of ripped sprites, lol. If you want CD Tails so badly, you should have a go at making it yourself! I highly doubt you'll find anyone else who thinks the effort is worth it. Remember, the only reason CD Sonic exists at all is because I felt the urge to learn to make mods for the game.
Old 07-07-2018   #33
Golden

Hah, I started making a CD Tails a couple months ago and I've got the concepts I want to add and everything; the thing is that I haven't really felt any motivation to actually do it more often than I usually do.. I haven't gotten past replacing all the sprites yet but I'm getting closer.. To be honest I'm just doing this to figure out how to make a character mod for the game. :P
Old 07-07-2018   #34
Lach
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hah, I started making a CD Tails a couple months ago and I've got the concepts I want to add and everything; the thing is that I haven't really felt any motivation to actually do it more often than I usually do.. I haven't gotten past replacing all the sprites yet but I'm getting closer.. To be honest I'm just doing this to figure out how to make a character mod for the game. :P
Oh, nice! Good luck with that. It's rewarding to see my first project inspiring others to also take a shot at modding!
Old 07-08-2018   #35
Sinny33

GreenKnight is planning on making a CD Tails.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
Lennon
Default "I'm outta here" sequence?

I know in Sonic CD that if you were not controlling Sonic for ~10 mins. he would say "I'm outta here!", jump off the screen and cause a game over. Is there any way to do this here? That'd be pretty cool and funny.
Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
Lach
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
I know in Sonic CD that if you were not controlling Sonic for ~10 mins. he would say "I'm outta here!", jump off the screen and cause a game over. Is there any way to do this here? That'd be pretty cool and funny.
Why don't you give it a try? ;)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
GreenKnight is planning on making a CD Tails.
Excuse me?
I just said that it was initially a "base" wad, there's no way in HELL it'd get accepted
Sorry to let you down