scr_The Emerald Isles (Updated July 23-Final 1.09.4 version)

How are these levels?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
on Edge said:
Well it does. The stage has no direction, and the platforming is remarkably bad.

In your opinion.

The world does not revolve around what your opinion is. FSX is neither wrong nor right in his opinion.

Personally, I do agree with you, VFZ almost rates down there with a plain maze.

Platformers aren't all about platforming. See JCZ, GFZ, THZ2, and about EVERY OTHER SRB2 LEVEL for proof.

2 1/2 months later...

*Sigh*
I've finally finished the next 3 levels in this level pack. It took a while, but I managed to also revamp nearly all of the other zones, as well. Well, except for Act 1 and 2. I still need to decide what I will do with it. I plan to redo the first zone, and add in an easier one in front of it to bring down the difficulty curve.

Rush Canyon Zone, your death is nigh.

Woot. 1st downloader. Will review soon...

Edit: Move over Mystic Realm, play this, kthxbi. Pretty much perfect in every way, has lots of redeeming valule, and Sandtrap Dune's boss? YES.
10/10

I started this months ago, jrose. besides, it's not a complete work yet. :P

I'm glad you both liked it, though. It took me weeks to refurbish all the levels.

This ain't that bad. Keep up the good work.
And I was once thinking about making a boss like Sandtrap Ruins' boss. You beat me to it.

Yeah Blade, I was inspired to do it by Sonic 3D Blast's Rusty Ruins boss and the Sandopolis boss. I decided not to add 3D Blast's boss music at the last second...you know, THAT music.

Which one? there were 3. Two of them were in the genesis version and one was in the Saturn/PC version.

The genesis version. Rusty Ruins. The more epic sounding one of the two. Does that clear it up?

Erm, something has come to my attention. While finishing up stage 4, act 1, I've found that I've neglected to lower the final platform to a reachable height. So I uploaded a version in the first post fixing this problem.

...My bad. >.>

EDIT: And yes, I already know about the off-center score display in the special stage. My bad x2.

O.o

I... I just played threw it... all threw it... and... what should I say?
I am... TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!

This thing sure is awesome. These levels are detailed, great and ,hell, very complex. Nice idea for the last boss, too!
The whole pack wins because of originallity! I get sick and have nightmares when I try to imagine how long you must have worked on this...

:D

Still there are two things that I have to criticize:
- Some parts really are cramped and interrupt the flow or mess up the camera for a short time.
- These wide open areas... as beautiful as they are, they get screwed in software. Sometimes the viewfield is just too great for softwaremode... and I dislike OGL. ;-P

Well, the levels are nice and all, but it seems like you're going for quantity over content. A few weeks doesn't seem like a lot of time. :/

Also, you REALLY seem to be taking this platformer thing too literally. I mean, platformers DO have you jumping around, but.... platforms? I'm sorry, but sticking a 3D block out in the open is in no way shape or form "epik."

Personally, I loved quite a lot of it. There were a few sections I didn't like (mostly involving cramped passages), but the newer stages are much better than the older ones, and that's a direction you always want to be going in.

I really liked how there was frequently a literal upper path directly above the lower path, like how the classics work only in 3D.

OMG IT WAS SOOOO EPIK I COULDNT BELIVE IT I ALMOST WET MYSELF LOLOLOLOL

It was. Fun is all I care about. I think you know why your levels p'wn, so I'll skip that and go to the not-so-good stuff.

1) Use star-post-activator sectors. Shadow, I beg of you!
2) About 30% of your epic gimmicks killed me at one time or another... The rest of them just really hurt. :<
3) As nice as it was to mix in old style music and such, you left in the over-used MR music.
4) If you use a green colormap, you need green water textures.
5) Visual glitches.
6) The boss maps suck. All of them.
7) Until the water gets 1.1 features, you always need a colormap. And no, JTE's ogl fixes do not address what I'm talking about.
8) Make sure the player knows which way is forwards. It's depressing when after 5 minutes of solid gameplay, I enter the spawn room.
9) Eggman monitors are gay.
10) The little things in your level-pack killed it. Ex: In the lava level, the descending corridors had too low ceilings. After crawla-hopping, I ran into the ceiling of the next step.

This really is just a summary. If you'd like me to expand on this, come play a netgame with me. I think It'd help you improve a lot, seeing how other people play the levels.

Btw, get this topic out of editing. Beg a mod to move it or something.

BlueZero4 said:
Well, the levels are nice and all, but it seems like you're going for quantity over content. A few weeks doesn't seem like a lot of time. :/

Also, you REALLY seem to be taking this platformer thing too literally. I mean, platformers DO have you jumping around, but.... platforms? I'm sorry, but sticking a 3D block out in the open is in no way shape or form "epik."
Few weeks? O.o he is doing this for months.

@On Edge:Why move this topic? The mod isn't finished >.>

Wow, I was unimpressed from the screenshots for some reason, but first impressions aren't everything nowadays. :) What a fun little mod, I'm very impressed, especially since this is done by a beginner.

OK, I'll respond as well as I can, as I have NO idea why people are calling it epic, anyway(I prefer the word "interesting", myself.).

Yes, I try to do my best to design these levels with a bit of variety. Heck, I thought you people liked platforming. If I knew you would have rather just run forward all day, I would have made them a lot...flatter. And for the record, I took about four weeks each for the last two acts and two days for the boss level. Yes, I know I haven't worked on these for OMG 4 YEARS DSFARGEG, but I was still hoping that you at least enjoyed them(i.e. the reason I started this whole thing).

OMG IT WAS SOOOO EPIK I COULDNT BELIVE IT I ALMOST WET MYSELF LOLOLOLOL

It was. Fun is all I care about. I think you know why your levels p'wn, so I'll skip that and go to the not-so-good stuff.

1) Use star-post-activator sectors. Shadow, I beg of you!
2) About 30% of your epic gimmicks killed me at one time or another... The rest of them just really hurt. :<
3) As nice as it was to mix in old style music and such, you left in the over-used MR music.
4) If you use a green colormap, you need green water textures.
5) Visual glitches.
6) The boss maps suck. All of them.
7) Until the water gets 1.1 features, you always need a colormap. And no, JTE's ogl fixes do not address what I'm talking about.
8) Make sure the player knows which way is forwards. It's depressing when after 5 minutes of solid gameplay, I enter the spawn room.
9) Eggman monitors are gay.
10) The little things in your level-pack killed it. Ex: In the lava level, the descending corridors had too low ceilings. After crawla-hopping, I ran into the ceiling of the next step.

This really is just a summary. If you'd like me to expand on this, come play a netgame with me. I think It'd help you improve a lot, seeing how other people play the levels.

Btw, get this topic out of editing. Beg a mod to move it or something.

1)All right, I suppose I should. It's hard to judge my own stages' difficulty, so if you have any places in particular that could really use them, I'd like to hear them.(I was afraid of making this too easy on you X_X)
2)Hmm. It was probably the last zone, wasn't it? Not sure how to improve here, as I'm not sure which ones you say are particularly painful to get by.
3)The only reason I have to add in extra music is either a-If the level has no fitting music in the lineup, or b-The music that is available is utterly carpy. I see no reason to bloat the file size with rips from other video games. :/
4)Yeah, I really should do this. I didn't think it mattered at the time, but I suppose I should get on changing those. Thanks.
5)Bleh. I made two areas too large in the third zone. I'll try to find a workaround, but in the meantime, it looks like OpenGL fixes that to some degree.
6)Heh. I can honestly admit that the structure is bland and boring. Since I find that hitting capsules is rather generic in itself, I decided that I may as well make up for it by having you exit the level yourself and find where you will be led next.
7)They do? Well, I suppose...
8)Yeah, I guess I should try to make it painfully obvious. Maybe if I added in a few signs, you would get less confused? Blatantly obvious arrows ftw.
9):P FINE. I guess I may get rid of a few in the immediate path, but they make for good traps. That they do.
10)Rush Canyon Zone is unsupported, kthxbai. I plan on redoing this level.

Thanks to everyone for the heads up on most of these things. Do you see why this is in editing? D: As you can see, I'm still trying to figure out what makes the perfect SRB2 stage.

As for being cramped in areas, could you point me in the right direction so that I may fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back