Couldn't Load 'r_opengl.dll'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virt

Trollerskates
I wanted to play SRB2 today after a while of... not playing SRB2, and I tried to do it in OpenGL mode but I get this error:
rZsl4ff.png

The regular version of the game runs fine. I have r_opengl.dll in my SRB2 folder, so I don't know what the problem might be.

Could be because you have lots of wad files in your SRB2 Folder, try moving those wads to DOWNLOADS Subfolder and retry .

Okay, first all, what does having so many files in a folder relate to the game failing to load a dll file. The best thing to do is actually help Virt find the root of his problem.

I moved all my extra wad files to another folder and nothing changed.

When I launch the game in OpenGL mode but with the regular srb2win.exe, I get no error message, but the game immediately crashes.

Alright, let's get some stuff clear here.
Having WADs doesn't affect the game until you load them.

Now, beyond that. SRB2WIN by default uses SDL2. I highly suggest, if you have a computer with Windows 8 or higher, you use SDL2, because DD is no longer being supported. By 2.2, you won't even have DD as an option.

Now, there's software rendering, and OpenGL rendering. Software uses your CPU. The game launches in software by default, for both versions of the client. If you want OpenGL, you need to tell it to with one of the included BAT files. OpenGL will use your GPU.

Now, there can, and have been problems where the GPU is prioritized by something else. I suggest you close other programs before attempting to run SRB2 in OGL. And finally, make sure the r_opengl.dll you have is the one included with the archive of the game. You can basically just re-extract the game from the installer and if OGL works then, you know the reason.

Final suggestion is to check your configurations. There's been claims that too high a resolution can mess up the game, though I've not experienced it myself.

Last edited:
Before we get any other theories and stuff flying about, I'm pretty sure the problem here is actually because we somehow goofed up with building 2.1.15's r_opengl.dll for srb2dd.exe (in addition to the optimisation problems yes), where somehow it requires some extra dll with libgcc in the name?

I don't remember the exactly dll name offhand, but if you had that in your SRB2 folder you might see srb2dd.exe's OpenGL working again. Can't guarantee that of course, mind.

I'd like to add that this isn't a 2.1.15 only issue as the older versions (can't remember well right now, but might be 2.0.6 too) also liked to throw me that error randomly.
I seem to recall that when it did only a reboot would make it work again, which is quite weird, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back