• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Mars (Updated 6/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TITLE.png

Sonic Mars is a level pack in active development. Demo 1 will be released on July 4th. Exact time of day to be determined...

Sonic Mars Staff:
Director/Map Designer/Etc: akirahedgehog
Tester: Roy
Sprite Artist: Blade (Made me an awesome palm tree!)
Texture/Sprite Artist: Scizor300

Level Structure:
1.) Quartz Cove Zone 1
MAP01M.png

2.) Quartz Cove Zone 2
3.) Quartz Cove Zone 3
MAP03M.png

4.) King's Gambit Zone 1 (New Castle)
MAP04.png

5.) King's Gambit Zone 2 (Old Castle)
MAP05M.png

6.) King's Gambit Zone 3
7.) Blue Ocean Zone 1 (Aqua Dome)
8.) Blue Ocean Zone 2 (Petroleum Proteus)
9.) Blue Ocean Zone 3
10.) Ice Breaker Zone 1 (Crystal Valley)
MAP10.png

11.) Ice Breaker Zone 2
12.) Ice Breaker Zone 3
MAP13M.png

13.) Akira Canyon Zone 1 (Nine Mile)
14.) Akira Canyzon Zone 2 (Valles Marineris)
15.) Akira Canyzon Zone 3
16.) Sparkling Cider Zone 1
17.) Sparkling Cider Zone 2
18.) Sparkling Cider Zone 3
19.) *
20.) *
21.) *

50.) *
51.) *
52.) *
53.) *
55.) *
56.) *
57.) Vuvuzela Volcano (Seventh Special Stage)

Last edited:
srb20093.png

Those textures! They are so AWSHUM! Buildings are so decent.

Where did you get them? Did you make them? ^^

Very nice screenshot. The textures look really nice and the concept to name a mod after a cancelled 32x game really seems good, because this may show what SRB2 is truely capable of.

Is it in 2d or 3d? Both? I wish you good luck with this. The textures remind me of a city so they are acurate

Out of curiosity, are you using Camera Scanner to achieve these effects? DON'T. Camera Scanner is really crude and hard to get along with at the best of times.

This is kind of hypocritical coming from me, seeing as how my own Tortured Planet mod uses a camera scanner in Star Showdown Zone. But I plan to get rid of it.

BTW, akirahedgehog, I LOVE THAT AVATAR! Does this mean you're a fan of The Onion, too?

I really don't like the choice of wall texture for Jade Gully, but it looks nice so far. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the responses!

Steven: I put that there to see if anyone would notice!

fawfulfan: No camera scanner. I use the following console commands:

Code:
analog on
cam_dist 320
cam_still 1
and yes I am a big fan of the Onion.

D00D64: I am considering changing the textures for Jade Gully.

Is analog the only way to move in all directions with a locked camera?

No, but if you play without analog then controls will act normally but without the camera facing the same way you are, which is really, REALLY annoying.

Uh, autoexec.cfg, IIRC. Though I don't even know how to make one. Anyway, this is awesome, akira. I love it, especially the custom textures.

Wait...how do you make a level execute console commands on level load? That would be really useful for my mod!
I don't know if he has the same method as me, but I would personally spawn the player onto a sector that activated the script.

Wait...how do you make a level execute console commands on level load? That would be really useful for my mod!

I remember doing this for my Bomberman mod which set the CAMSPEED at .25. Inputting some extra lines in the MAINCFG lump of the wad proved to be succesfull.
Code:
LEVEL #
SCRIPTISLUMP = 1
SCRIPTNAME = <LUMPNAME>
Providing if SCRIPTISLUMP and SCRIPTNAME still exist in 2.0, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

On topic of this mod, this actually caught me by surprise. The topic title is Sonic Mars, which just so happens to be my last name in real life. I don't have much more to say other than I'm loving the progress. Good job, Akira.

Last edited:
This sort of thing can be difficult to do correctly. Fortunately, you seem to be doing quite nicely, from the screenshots. The only thing that worries me is the screenshot with Sonic running toward the camera, which demonstrates just how hard it is to see where you are going when running toward the camera at full speed. I would not recommend making many hazards in such situations, at least in early levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back