SRB2 for Dreamcast Beta 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is mostly because putting ACS in would be too much work.

I honestly don't know which one is better. Both do the same thing rather well... I guess I prefer ACS a smidgen just because then you get into the whole realm of variables and such, which linedef executors don't have, and that can add a LOT of freedom in mapping...

Question: Will we get a mod menu like nxDoom? Basically, before Doom starts up, nxDoom presents you with a menu for mods. This menu is defined from modlist.txt. A typical modlist.txt will contain something like:

AliensTC, DOOM2.WAD, -file ATC.WAD ATC.DEH, AliensTC MOD
Simpsons Doom, DOOM2.WAD, -file ulsimpdm.wad, Simpsons graphics hack

Basically, it's

Modname, iwad.wad, -file pwad.wad dehacked.deh, description

Would it be possible for SRB2DC to get a similiar feature later on? Would make loading mods like The Mystic Realm a lot easier.

wow, that's a great idea
Don't think we can change what file to use as the iwad, but other then that, it seems doable

just point me to nxDoom's soure code

It'd be pretty cool if that modlist just looked for every wad in the SRB2 folder (and it's subfolders) and told you the filename and the map name.

Also, Logan, seeing as how Chui's SDL driver does OpenGL, have you tried to see if SRB2DC will load through that? It might help with the framerate issues (3D Acceleration and all that). Because I know, even on my 1.30ghz, THZ2 runs at a very poor framerate in Software - but switch to OGL and everything is smooth.

Found the source, here you go:

http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/files/ports/nxDoom_Beta2_R2_Src.zip

----
EDIT
--------

Also, I know this isn't probably what's on your mind atm, but when you port SRB2 to the XBOX, do you plan on having a MOD launcher for it too?

The reason I ask, is:

1. This project kicks much ass, and of course being able to launch custom maps would only add to the greatness that is SRB2.

2. Carcharius (of xbox-scene.com) was porting Legacy to the XBOX, and was working on OpenGL support, which was going well, but then he abandoned it and switched to Quake III. The main reason he abandoned the project is that NO ONE showed any interested in coding up a MOD loader for his port, thus making a port of Legacy about useless, except for those handful of Legacy specific pWads that would merge into doom2.wad without crashing the XBOX.
Anyhow, if you write a launcher for SRB2X (or what ever you call it), I'm almost posative that it would be able to work for the Legacy port with little hassel, which could mean that this project would blow the doors wide open for not one, but two of the best DOOM source MODs for the XBOX!

A neat trick:

- Bring down the console with your keyboard (tab)

- Type "addfile file.soc". It won't find the soc, but this will turn off "secure mode"; in other words, it will treat your game as if it were "modified" (it won't save the main game data).

- Now you can warp to any map (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9) by typing "map map##" (normally disallowed in singleplayer).

One bug I noticed in this is that the THZ3 boss doesn't act right. He keeps appearing at random in certain parts of his cycle rather than fly around in a circle (Kiddo calls it "popping"). I'm not sure if this is a side-effect of me using the map command or if it's a problem with the Dreamcast port.

I also think I know why nxDoom takes so long to load: It's precaching. SRB2DC pauses for a second whenever it loads a new resource (sounds, mostly). nxDoom doesn't. It probably takes doubly long to load because nxDoom converts the sounds to 11khz before it loads them into memory (saving as much RAM as possible).

Brian, by the time you get your question answered, you could have your DC hooked up.

brianv said:
brianv said:
Hey is it possible to do this for the xbox, because I'm too lazy to hook up my dc.
Uh, no? The Dreamcast and Xbox are completely different, that's like asking if you can play Super Smash Bros. Melee on the PC :|.

XBOX is just an easy port, thus EVERYTHING should be ported to it that can. :)

The Dreamcast on the other hand would ba a challenge, which I think would be fun for most coders. And it is probably a nice break from Winblows dev.

Hopefully someday BeOS or Amiga gains this sort of attention again.

XDelusion said:
XBOX is just an easy port, thus EVERYTHING should be ported to it that can. :)

The Dreamcast on the other hand would ba a challenge, which I think would be fun for most coders. And it is probably a nice break from Winblows dev.

Hopefully someday BeOS or Amiga gains this sort of attention again.
OpenXDK have no working alloca

I have a dreamcast right here on my linux pc with a TV tuner

AND who said I work on windows?

also, i think tail92 is doing BeOS

I really like Beta 3. The Frame rate is improved a bit and control is much better. I cant wait for sound though. Its kind of odd playing without SRB2s great soundtrack.

Only one question (or equal pair of in): What do I have to make? :(
1. The file download
2. on which burn? (cd/DVD??)
3. into the Dreamcast put (the respective Disc)
4. Play?

I do not know so well English however help me please.

walter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back