• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Walls of the Void (Map Pack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoctor

This is a map pack side project that I work on when not working on other map packs (such as the Sonic Adventure 2 TC mod that TSDude and I are working on). This map pack will have different levels from many different games, not just Sonic games (the just was a hint).

Levels that will be included (So far):

Portal 1/2 (100% completed)

Welcome back, to science! These maps will at first be similar to the first maps in the game "Portal" but will later on change to my personally built maps and will require the player to think of ways how to get to the goal. Enemies would include Sentry Turrets found in both Portal and Portal 2. Obstacles such as spike pits, death pits, and acid pits will be included. Also, a re-appearence from the blue and orange Gels that will make the player jump higher and run faster are included. There will also be an appearence of a character from the game of "Portal" who will appear as a boss.

MineCraft (30% completed)

A note before we go on to pictures, this is a huge leap in the SRB2 maps section. This map will be a full 3D adventure map, where instead of going to the goal, you will need to find the goal. There will be all sorts of places such as caves, forrests, deserts, and underwater places. The goal ring could be anywhere in the map. Good luck finding it :D. (The picture may seem lacking, but thats only because its 10% done, and there is alot more behind the character, but not finished yet and looks rather ugly when not finished, so here are a few blocks to look at):

Mushroom Hill Zone (50% completed)

This will be a complete replica (excluding impossible things, such as loops) of Sonic & Knuckles' Mushroom Hill Zone down to the very item box:

Babidi's Ship (Not started, but idea of layout formed)

This is babidi's ship from Dragon Ball Z. The ship will be similar to the gameboy game of "Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury" in ways that the player must find 3 switches in order to advance to the next section. This is another new map style this map pack will include along with the MineCraft full 3D adventure maps. There will be a boss fight after this map.

Pallet Town - Cerulean City (20% Built)

Ah, Pokémon games. Who doesn't like them? This map will have the player going through the towns and routes destroying enemies that pop out of the tall grass to try to get to the very end of the Victory Road. Who knows, there might be a boss? The beginning of the map will be very similar to the gameboy game of "Pokémon FireRed", but will later on turn to a more Sonic-like game style.

Blizzard Island (15% Built)

Another pokémon game, but I consider it to be different. The game of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. This map will have you go through a series of tunnels fighting enemies that will try to stop you from finding the goal that is hidden in a room. (Think mazes).

The Alamo (Layout fully planned)

The Allied Base in the Alamo based on the game Red Alert 2. This map will have the player fight enemies, getting inside the enemy base, and destroying the enemies, and getting to the goal ring inside their construction yard.

Toad Village (Layout half planned)

Crash Bandicoot. I remember playing one of his games when young, and thanks to a request from Sonic fan2000, Toad Village will be in the map pack. The gameplay will (obviously), be similar to that of Crash Bandicoot 3.

Veg-O-Fortress (Layout planned)

This is the Fortress made by Robotnik on Mt. Mobius to try to turn all animals into robots, Sonic once destroyed this area by collecting the 7 chaos emeralds through its large Pinball security system. This map in the map pack however, will show the fortress from the actual inside, through the security system. This level will have the player go through crazy rooms to wacky (can't believe I'm using this word.) pathways.

Dalek Ship (Layout not planned, but will be thought of in near future)

The Daleks are an ancient yet living alien race whose main purpose is to kill all other species that are not Dalek. Sonic has found himself on the Dalek ship and must now defeat the Daleks, and escape from one of their ships. Enemies would obviously include Daleks themselves.

Final Boss:
Metal Robotnik Upgraded

Eggman, who we find out was also transported to the same dimensions/universes as Sonic was, had found allies who had helped him upgrade his old invention that he had saved from the past due to the walls of the void breaking. Metal Robotnik, now upgraded with the help of
GLaDOS, Dr.Gero, and Team Rocket, Classic and Modern Eggman/Robotnik
, is now nearly indestructable and can travel anywhere in space using the polarity of the neutron flow, and when reached full power, can travel through time. Sonic uses the power of the 7 Chaos emeralds that can be collected throughout the levels to go Super Sonic. The gameplay of this boss is like the first boss of SRB2, but this time the map is extremely huge, rings are distributed around the map incase the player is short of rings, and if the player runs out of rings while Super Sonic, you lose.

Story Line:

There was an explosion from a machine, the most powerful machine of all time. The machine was called the TARDIS. It is a machine that is bigger on the inside and can travel anywhere in time and space. The Silence (a religious order, made to stop a man, the most powerful man, in hope of him never revealing a dangerous secret), have blown up the TARDIS in hopes of killing the pilot, but failed. The explosion of the TARDIS was so tremendous, that cracks in time and space were made, and the Walls of the Void (The void is the gap between universes and dimensions) started to break down, and through the cracks, fell places, people, and things. One day, as Sonic was running around trying to stop Eggman's latest plan, a crack in time and space appeared in-front of him. Sonic fell through the crack and was rendered unconsious. As Sonic woke up, he found himself inside a facility called "Aperture Science"...

If anyone has any ideas for levels from other games, please do suggest them. Even if I never heard of the game, suggest a level and I will see if I will make it. For example, I'm not a huge fan of MineCraft, but I thought that the idea of an adventure map was cool, so I added it. Also please add your thoughts and opinions about this map pack so far.

Last edited:
TheDoctor said:
Mushroom Hill Zone (30% completed)

This will be a complete replica (excluding impossible things, such as loops and swings) of Sonic & Knuckles' Mushroom Hill Zone down to the very item box
I thought you were using cb for that because then you could replicate loops also swings are possible.

I thought you were using cb for that because then you could replicate loops also swings are possible.

I'm sure CB can replicate loops, but I don't think they would work in 2D mode seeing as how the player stays on the same X (or was it Z...) axis.

If there is a way how to make loops in 2D mode, could you tell me how? Much would be appriciated.

EDIT: *facepalm, of yeah, swings are in the game :P.

Last edited:
I've decided to add another map:

Veg-O-Fortress from Sonic Spinball. Yep...Sonic Spinball. You see, that game had sonic go through the Veg-O-Fortress through it's pinball security system. But thats all it was, a security system. The map in this map pack will show you the inside of the Veg-O-Fortress, followed by a boss near the end.

This looks really cool! I can't wait for this to be released, it looks fun.

Wait till you get to the last boss, it is extremely fun, yet extremely hard, and extremely long..my record for beating the boss was around 11 minutes. Well, off to play it for the 15th time :D.

Wait till you get to the last boss, it is extremely fun, yet extremely hard, and extremely long..my record for beating the boss was around 11 minutes. Well, off to play it for the 15th time :D.

Oh god, I love and hate hard bosses at the same time.
Will we be getting any beta of any of the levels anytime soon? Or will we need to wait for you to finish them and release them with the pack?

Oh god, I love and hate hard bosses at the same time.
Will we be getting any beta of any of the levels anytime soon? Or will we need to wait for you to finish them and release them with the pack?

It will all be released when finished. I will also try to make cutscenes in it to provide a storyline throughout the entire map pack.

There's a generally good reason for that: cutscenes and story aren't important, and slow the gameplay flow down considerably.

I told myself I wouldn't post frequent updates, but this update deserves to be shown, even if not completed:

That level is not even close to being finished, but this picture shows a fun thing from Portal 2 that will make an appearence in here.

I told myself I wouldn't post frequent updates, but this update deserves to be shown, even if not completed:

That level is not even close to being finished, but this picture shows a fun thing from Portal 2 that will make an appearence in here.

Now i'm 100% going to get this pack when it comes out.

Regardless if the cutscenes aren't important or not, In this particular mod I agree cutscenes are used here. And honestly, it won't harm anyone if story is added. If people don't want cutscenes and story, they will say it here.

If people don't want cutscenes, then I will make a seperate version in the attachments (when/if released) that will not include cutscenes.

Maybe you should add levels from Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2 or maybe Kingdom Hearts. It would be pretty cool.

Team Fortress, Half Life and kingdom hearts' levels are too big, and have way too much places to go and many slopes (maybe not half life), but either way it would take a hell of alot work to do those maps. But I love those games nontheless :P

Also, I updated the precents done on the maps.

Have you got any more screenshots of any level at all?

I will add 3 pictures to each zone/level, the portal ones are finished and now I'm starting to work on Mushroom Hill Zone.

The reason why only 3 pictures is to keep the level design a mystery to the player, while still having a clue what it will be like. I do think that I will replace the portal screenshots though, not using the md2's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back