SRB2 netplay speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i found out not long ago about how to increase your internet speed and how to test how fast your internet speed is.

Test internet speed at http://www.speedtest.net/

Make your internet faster (Use at own risk) at http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

I'm sorry if this is not useful for most people but i thought it might help some people when it comes to either hosting or joining servers.

Also IF you are going to use any of the stuff to make your internet faster i recommend saving your current registry files just in case it turns out not to work.

Also another tip to speed up your internet :-
Go to Start-> Run-> and type gpedit.msc
Expand the Administrative Templates branch
Expand the Network tab
Highlight QoS Packet Scheduler
Click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth and check the ‘enabled’ box
Then Change the Bandwidth limit % to 0 %
*Note only do this if you know what your doing*

~silvex

That link increases the TCP speed which I believe doesn't effect srb2. I think it effects the internet browsing speed.

You also have to remember that latency is also a big issue for hosting a netgame with any type of game. You can have good bandwidth, but have bad netgames because of the latency your internet (lol Comcast).

Silver Fox said:
oh and don't use programs that increase internet speed the often make connections unstable
Its a bit too late for that - . -, anyways at least people can find out there internet speed now.

256433323.png

Mine must be pretty bad...

My router, (specialized for frontier) doesn't seem to allow port forwarding anyways so I can't host. My connection isn't always consistent, and the internet does periodically go out for as long as a day at a time.

Torgo said:
You also have to remember that latency is also a big issue for hosting a netgame with any type of game. You can have good bandwidth, but have bad netgames because of the latency your internet (lol Comcast).
These days latency is the only cause of lag in netgames :/ It's very strange to find a slow connection.

My connection is pretty bad, that's why I never can do servers :/

But about the link of do the connection fast is safe?

[none]

speedtestoy2.png

For those who know me in Network Games, here is mine. Upload speed is not as good as download speed (of course), but I'm not usually an uploader. I only upload my MODs, levels, and perhaps images used solely for SRB2 purposes.

For my own security purposes, I've coverted my ISP and my Server Location.
For you, R.U.B.I.K., since I know you, nice overall Internet Speed =D. Your current avatar suits it well.
188134707047f56c6b51f88.png

The Dark Fox said:
Mine goes really fast because of that exe thing. Testing speed...
what exe thing? I tried to optimize my tcp but it doesnt go any faster. is it because my computer says i dont have an internet gateway but just a local area connection?

Listen: if you want to host a server, you need a good upload speed, because the server keeps sending data to a lot of clients (then again, the game will be slowed down to the slowest speed in the network anyways, as maximum, I mean). Dedicated servers have good upload speeds and bad download speeds - exactly the opposite as normal connections. This is because they need to send more than recieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back