What do you use to edit exe source code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any text editor, though you'll need a compiler to actually do anything with the source code.

It's also highly recommended that you understand the C programming language before attempting to modify the source code.

From what I can gather, this person is confusing executables with source code.

An EXE is compiled code. It's not human-readable. Open it up in a text editor and you'll get garbage. Heck, several text editors on Linux will warn you that saving changes to the executable through a text editor will corrupt it.

What you're looking for is the actual human-readable source code. To obtain that, you need to use the Subversion (SVN) repository. A client such as TortoiseSVN will allow you to do this.

Heck, several text editors on Linux will warn you that saving changes to the executable through a text editor will corrupt it.
Someone please tell the Windows devs to do something similar. People are stupid enough to try stuff like that, I swear...

犬夜叉;649353 said:
Someone please tell the Windows devs to do something similar. People are stupid enough to try stuff like that, I swear...

You mean like replacing shutdown.exe's (If it were in there) "Shutdown" command with "Shut the **** down", and saving it?

If not on the SRB2 dev team, but:
I use notepad/wordpad for editing of source codew (included with Windows)
And I use Cheat Engine or XVI32 to edit the compiled files, ie. exe's.

You mean like replacing shutdown.exe's (If it were in there) "Shutdown" command with "Shut the **** down", and saving it?

Editing it at all will corrupt it. Let's say you change one value to another value that would actually do something valid, like change a JNZ to a JMP, and save, it will be corrupted anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back