• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Well, I'm making a character...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBones

Hey guys! Do you want to see my terribly uninspired Sonic fan character that I literally made in under thirty seconds to parody the terrible designs of most Sonic fan characters, but is still, very sadly, more original than most seriously designed characters as a playable character in Sonic Robo Blast 2? No? Too bad.

SnappytheTurtle.gif

So far I only have the standing frames done (I even took the time to make you guys a fancy little ol' gif.), but I want to see if you guys think it fits the SRB2 style okay. Considering SRB2 has pretty limited palettes and this is my first time making a graphic this large (I'm used to about 32x16, 16x16 or 32x32 pixels for my graphics), this probably isn't my best graphic work.

As for the characters special gimmick, I figured I'd try to do something different: He can't run fast. Before your mind explodes I'd like to point out that he only can't RUN fast, his spin dash will be Sonic's speed (I would have done slightly faster, but Sonic already moves at max speed in most attributes), and if I decide to leave him with the swimming ability (I wanted him to have a homing attack as well, but apparently custom characters can only have one power, and swimming fit the whole turtle theme better anyways...) he'll move fast in the water as well. I just hope that this gimmick will play out well, but if it doesn't, I'm willing to let him run fast as well.

Comments would be appreciated, and thank you for your time!

Looks alright. Could use a bit more shading and such.
Maybe ad some of those groves to his stomach. You know, kinda like bowser.
A moves fast in water character sounds kinda cool. I can't recall the last swimming character I saw. Even a chaos wad I found one day doesn't have it.

There aren't many swimming characters because the ability is all but useless.

It's the same as the Flight ability but can only be used in water.

There's only one level in each current game mode (race aside) that gives the ability actual use throughout the entire level.

Looks alright. Could use a bit more shading and such.
Maybe ad some of those groves to his stomach. You know, kinda like bowser.
A moves fast in water character sounds kinda cool. I can't recall the last swimming character I saw. Even a chaos wad I found one day doesn't have it.

Yeah, I thought the shading was a bit flat as well, I'll try to fix that. Also, I can't believe I forgot to add his shell groves... *facepalm*

ThunderNova said:
There aren't many swimming characters because the ability is all but useless.

It's the same as the Flight ability but can only be used in water.

There's only one level in each current game mode (race aside) that gives the ability actual use throughout the entire level.

Yeah, I've noticed that the swim is kind of underpowered without the fly ability. I tried changing it to the homing attack, but found that since its a modified thok, you can break Snappy's low speed cap by sticking to the air. I think that for the moment (unless I come up with a custom power he should have), its best to stick with swimming.

Well, I got a few more frames done and assembled them into a wad (for all the frames I haven't done yet I just copied another frame over it), but for whatever reason, the run speed for thrust factor 5 seems to be hardcoded, as even though it's set to five times the normal speed, it still will always jump to the run frames at about the same time Sonic does. I can't use a different thrust factor, because for some reason this is the only thrust factor that won't let Snappy move faster than his running speed in the air, and I can't just use the run animation for the walking one because it has less frames, is there any way to disable the running frames?

Normally you would disable running frames by making runspeed higher than normalspeed; like you did, but I think currently SRB2 has a bug that doesn't disable running. I'm pretty sure this is fixed in 2.1.

Normally you would disable running frames by making runspeed higher than normalspeed; like you did, but I think currently SRB2 has a bug that doesn't disable running. I'm pretty sure this is fixed in 2.1.
Lets hope so...until then my only option is to skip frames in the walking animation or to do what I chose to and set the running frames to the spin dash frames (Snappy inside his shell), which seemed like the frames which made the most sense without having to create new ones. I just hope that I don't create any confusion by doing so... On the bright side, most of the angle 5 (from behind) frames are done, so I might be doing some closed testing (after a few more tweaks) if I can get server hosting to work...

Hey guys! Do you want to see my terribly uninspired Sonic fan character that I literally made in under thirty seconds to parody the terrible designs of most Sonic fan characters, but is still, very sadly, more original than most seriously designed characters as a playable character in Sonic Robo Blast 2?

It looks more like a koopa to me than any kind of Sonic fan character.

The sprites just need more shading but otherwise they look fine to me. Swimming isn't completely useless. He would do fine in DSZ. But if you're going to give him an under powered ability it might be okay to balance him and make him faster- if you want to do that. It might be a better idea and a nice change of pace to play as a character who doesn't have the same level mobility of other characters.

It looks more like a koopa to me than any kind of Sonic fan character.

That's probably because my spriting style is very heavily based off of the older Mario games. Also, I'm thinking that if I keep working on this wad, I just might speed him up to balance him off. Because unless I genuinely think something else would fit him better, the swimming is staying. (Well better a swimming turtle than a flying turtle, am I right?)

The reason I think I might stop working on this is partly because I don't feel like making all these sprites, and partly because I don't think I did a well enough job parodying fan character enough (a turtle in Sonic is too slightly original. If I want to properly emulate fan characters, I probably need to recolor Sonic, call him Cinos, and give him a really cheap custom ability...), but thank you for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back