• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Botanic Serenity is almost here! (NiGHTS Preview; request for bugs and oddities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiku

Botanic Serenity is a single-player level modeled after the original NiGHTS game! Taking after the Spring Hill unlockable, you fly as Super Sonic in a mystical, lush dream land. Your goal is to collect rings and powerups, paraloop harmful enemies, and destroy the Egg Capsule that taints the colorful garden. All the while, you can fly in full 360-degree freedom, enjoying the lush, detailed scenery and finding hidden secrets! You may even find a few Chaos Emeralds!

And as luck would have it, next Friday will be four years since Botanic Serenity was first released -- and, it will be seeing a 2.0 release! BSZ was the original community-made NiGHTS map made back in 1.09.4, renowned for introducing the subsequent wave of fanmade NiGHTS maps, as well as helping to raise the bar for more beautiful, complex scenery. Now you can enjoy it in fully working, updated form for 2.0!

srb20041.png

srb20043.png

srb20015.png

srb20047.png
It'll be a somewhat straight port, but I'm taking this time to fix up oddities with the original release: for instance, the graphics are all touched up, and the notoriously unfair boss will be replaced. Specifically:

CHANGES
  • BSZ got a facelift, thanks to Rob and SpiritCrusher! Textures are replaced, and the scenery is optimized for better performance.
  • BSZ will also be getting a new boss (hopefully!), thanks to Prime 2.0!
  • The emeralds and emblems are rearranged! Find them all!
  • Performance is improved! Instead of High/Mid/Low-End versions, there will only be one version this time -- but BSZv2 will perform most similarly to Mid-End.
CREDITS
  • Digiku - Original mod; porter
  • Rob - Main porter, graphics artist
  • Prime 2.0 - SOCcer, boss maker
  • SpiritCrusher - Graphics artist
  • Kaysakado - WAD fixes
  • Torgo - WAD fixes
Right now, I just finished up BSZ's main level, and starting some quick work on the secret level. The boss still needs to be made, and SOCs need to be finalized. Should be relatively painless.

Oldbies: If you have any bugs or oddities, now is the time to tell me, so I can look into them! Otherwise, I hope to release all this very soon!

Last edited:
It looks excellent. I will be very glad to play this again.

But I'm not a bbig fan of the multi-coloured flower grass as it's GFZ grass underneath while everything else is just a souped up version of GFZ grass. May I reccomend changing the palette of GFZGRASS texture and the underneath of the multi-coloured flowers to have a bit more continuity?

Other than that, looks excellent and I'm glad that boss is getting toned down a bit. ;D

Ooh! Its Very Pretty, I Never Played it much in V1.09a because I Never Liked Nights Mode, But now I Do!!!

Seeing the words Botanic Serenity pop up in Latest Post caused severe blithering on my part. This was followed by a barely repressed urge to shout YES.

Botanic Serenity was one of the things that got me interested in NiGHTS in general. 'Twas a fun and awesome looking level.

The only real complaint I had about the original was that the timer for the first stage seemed a little short to me... I think I ONCE managed to get near the starting point to clear the stage before the timer ran out.

Plus the badniks in the second stage were a bit annoying at times.

Aside from that, though, I am REALLY looking forward to this level.

@Violo: Are you talking about how the underlying multi-flower grass and the GFZGRASS are not exactly the same color? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant :) But yes, I should fix that.

@SpaceKGreen: Thanks for the comments! Someone else brought up the timer, too. You think an extra 40 seconds would be enough? Maybe 50?

It's easiest to see in the last picture and first picture. The last picture shows the inconsistency with the grass colours. I'm saying the grass on the mult flowered flat should be the same colour as the grass flats around it.
The whole GFZGRASS thing I put in because it's the same condition as before. It needs to fit with the grass flat rather than standing out.

Let the oldbies who hate my texture job and want the old GFZROCK back come forth. :P
Are you kidding? I'm dead tired of GFZROCK, the CLIFF textures work great AND it doesn't look like my take on Jade Coast. How could I possibly be against it?

Are you kidding? I'm dead tired of GFZROCK, the CLIFF textures work great AND it doesn't look like my take on Jade Coast. How could I possibly be against it?
You're not the only oldbie in here. But yeah, there's no reason to prefer the old texturing.

Question: Who here has bothered to try finding all the emblems? And who has succeeded? I'm considering making the emblem hunt a required part of the game (with more fair locations,) but wanted to know if it's worth it.

Last edited:
@SpaceKGreen: Thanks for the comments! Someone else brought up the timer, too. You think an extra 40 seconds would be enough? Maybe 50?

40 seconds would probably be enough, yes. It's been a while since I've played that level, though...

I don't think I ever went and found all the emblems myself.

I am glad this is going to be updated, it was a a well made level, it was very fun and the visuals were extraordinary.
I tried getting all the emblems before but was never able to find them all.

You're not the only oldbie in here.
Sorry, man, can only offer you my own opinion.

Who here has bothered to try finding all the emblems?
Me
And who has succeeded?
Me
I'm considering making the emblem hunt a required part of the game
Define 'required'.

May I suggest GRASS3 instead of GFZFLR02?
Pretty sure that's actually not GFZFLR02, bro
I think GFZFLR02 might compliment the CLIFF textures better.
asdf?

I like the new texture job, I'm sick of seeing GFZROCK everywhere anyway. That texture needs serious revamping or a better replacement.

IIRC, there is already a straight port of this in Releases. But this is way better. Good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back