Duke Nukem Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke nukem isn't dead, maybe the 3D version is.

Update: Apogee Software and Deep Silver have issued a statement to Shacknews, confirming that the situation at 3D Realms has not affected the development of Frontline Games' upcoming handheld Duke Nukem Trilogy.

"Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms," a representative for the companies told us. "Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

Still expect a Duke Nukem game..but on a (handheld?)

Autosaver said:

Update: Apogee Software and Deep Silver have issued a statement to Shacknews, confirming that the situation at 3D Realms has not affected the development of Frontline Games' upcoming handheld Duke Nukem Trilogy.

"Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms," a representative for the companies told us. "Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

They already have Duke Nukem on Xbox live arcade, but as a handheld game? Uh.....Last time I checked, it's a little hard to control in first person with a control pad. Not that im saying they shouldn't do it. I guess a DS version is in hand?

TrueTenguMan said:
Autosaver said:

They already have Duke Nukem on Xbox live arcade, but as a handheld game? Uh.....Last time I checked, it's a little hard to control in first person with a control pad. Not that im saying they shouldn't do it. I guess a DS version is in hand?

The original Duke games were 2D platformers, so it wouldn't be to much of a stretch to assume that the Trilogy will follow a simliar format, but the fact is we really don't know what these games will entail exactly as of yet.

It's time to be skeptical and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum. Those are my initial feelings, though I will have to see how this pans out.

Looks like the deadline for finishing SRB2 is back in action. I'd say we've got another 10 years if we want to beat DNF to the punch.

Always bet on Duke.

You can always bet on Big the Cat too, but everyone hates him and want to kill him. So which is it? :(

I don't believe DNF is dead. The production team employees on release doesn't mean "cancelled" as assumed by the press and speculation everywhere.

I actually read a fascinating article about DNF, and why it died the way it did. Duke Nukem Forever is an example of something in the video game design world which is extremely rare and is basically a kiss of death: a creation process in which the designers had unchecked power over the publishers.

What does that mean? I'll explain.

The fundamental goal of game designers is to make their product as beautiful and fun as possible, no matter how much time or money it takes. The fundamental goal of publishers is to finish the game as fast as possible and put it on the shelves for a quick cash grab. Here, the designers had so much acclaim and cash from their first game that they could basically do whatever they wanted...which was precisely what they did.

Every time a new, updated game engine was invented, the DNF developers would throw out what they were working on and start over in the new engine, because they wanted their game to be the best on the market. At first, this wasn't a problem...they had tons and tons of money, and people were willing to wait as long as it took for the explosive sequel to be released. But eventually this caused everything to collapse; when they ran out of money, the project became unprofitable and full of disputes. Pretty soon, it all fell apart, and the game was canceled.

So we should be grateful that there are publishers to demand that games be done faster. Granted, this can be quite as bad (Perhaps the opposite of Duke Nukem Forever was Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly, which was originally going to be a lot longer and more elaborate but was ultimately rushed, and ended up short and buggy), but if someone has too much power in any kind of system, it's bound to fail in some way or another.

Looks like the deadline for finishing SRB2 is back in action. I'd say we've got another 10 years if we want to beat DNF to the punch.

Great, because we have until the 4th of May to do something big, because that's when that counter is counting down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back