Which level do you like/hate the most in SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crappy story? It's essentially the same as the classic Sonic games. By that I mean, it's nearly non-existent.

Another bit I forgot to mention, Mystic said it's to emulate the classics in 3D. So obviously, a transition from 2D to 3D is going to be very different. But it still has all the elements of the classics. For example: Chaos emeralds are collected at the player's leisure, rather than a part of the story; Sonic can actually be Super Sonic anywhere; there is no "doomsday monster" as the final boss instead of Eggman.

The classics had shitty stories also, I never said they were safe from that. doesn't make the games bad, I'm just picky.

I guess that makes sense. I never considered that a part of the classics, only that it's something SEGA neds to do instead of being retards and not doing it.

The problem I have with hat, though, is why can't anybody else turn super? I want Super Tails back, he was awesome in Sonic 3K. =/ There's no point to collect the emeralds with anybody else if there's no reward. Why not just make he stages only available to Sonic if it's never going to be added for other characters to have the same privilege?

IIRC, Glaber complained about this topic as well. This is because they wanted Sonic to be special. Super Tails also only existed with the Super Emeralds, which are nonexistent in this game because they didn't want "everyone and their mothers" to have super forms.
Also, Tails already breaks a lot of the gameplay, so why make him super? If we went with the old Super Tails, he would break it even more with homing flickies.

SP:

Favourite: Red Volcano Zone Act 1
Worst: Arid Canyon Zone Act 1

Match:

Favourite: Meadow Match Zone
Worst: Tidal Palace Zone

CTF & Race:

To tell the truth I hate all the CTF & Race maps.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

THZ1, well, is so incredibly linear that it wouldn't work.
I don't think that's "so incredibly" linear. I got lost there alot.

Man,I love Deep Sea Zone 1 & 2 !!!For me is just...AWESOME! I always like aquatic zones in Sonic games.But i hate Egg Rock Zone 2.This stage is a good challenge...but i don't like the gravity switching...

IIRC, Glaber complained about this topic as well. This is because they wanted Sonic to be special. Super Tails also only existed with the Super Emeralds, which are nonexistent in this game because they didn't want "everyone and their mothers" to have super forms.
Also, Tails already breaks a lot of the gameplay, so why make him super? If we went with the old Super Tails, he would break it even more with homing flickies.

I'm not asking for Super Tails to be thrown at you at the beginning of the game but I want a real reward for actually working for the emeralds. (They're bitches to find.) And where you're looking at it as 'broken gameplay' I'm looking at it as replaying the game in GOD MODE! >:D

Wich is really the reward I want with the emeralds. I want to play in God Mode. Sonic isn't very god like, and super forms are supposed to break the gameplay. They're supposed to be massively overpowered.

And fuck the super emeralds. That was just a cheap excuse for SEGA because they apparently needed one because "OMG FLYING BREAKS GAMEPLAY." Well, I miss the broken gameplay. What better reward than giving a middle finger to a level you hate by raping it brutally in the ass in GOD MODE? :D

The problem I have with hat, though, is why can't anybody else turn super? I want Super Tails back, he was awesome in Sonic 3K. =/ There's no point to collect the emeralds with anybody else if there's no reward. Why not just make he stages only available to Sonic if it's never going to be added for other characters to have the same privilege?

Getting the Emeralds with Tails requires practically no effort, compared to Sonic.
Are you seriously suggesting that we let players break the game with Tails, who's overpowered enough in single player?

Getting the Emeralds with Tails requires practically no effort, compared to Sonic.
Are you seriously suggesting that we let players break the game with Tails, who's overpowered enough in single player?
I actually agree; if you really want to get Emerald-unlocked secrets, you should have to do it as Sonic. This game was designed to give Sonic a challenge, not Tails or Knuckles. I'd even say that Tails and Knuckles are cheaper than Super Sonic in Single Player (but that doesn't stop me from using Knuckles most of the time). If you really want to break the game, you can always download a complete gamedata file.

Playing as Sonic isn't any fun for me though. It really leaves out the people that don't like Sonic.

What's the big deal anyway? If you have all the emeralds, you've already played the game so it's not like breaking the game will do anything to it. What's gonna happen? Is it gonna crash my computer and shut down? Is it gonna freeze on me? Is it gonna cause me to be electrocuted? No, it's just going to make levels I've already played piss easy and fun to rape, that's it.

Playing as Sonic isn't any fun for me though. It really leaves out the people that don't like Sonic.

What's the big deal anyway? If you have all the emeralds, you've already played the game so it's not like breaking the game will do anything to it. What's gonna happen? Is it gonna crash my computer and shut down? Is it gonna freeze on me? Is it gonna cause me to be electrocuted? No, it's just going to make levels I've already played piss easy and fun to rape, that's it.
You wanna rape levels after playing them? Weird attitude. Also, breaking the game should be well-earned, and completing the game with all emeralds as Tails is piss-easy. Also, if you don't like playing as Sonic, you must have misunderstood something O_o

You wanna rape levels after playing them? Weird attitude. Also, breaking the game should be well-earned, and completing the game with all emeralds as Tails is piss-easy. Also, if you don't like playing as Sonic, you must have misunderstood something O_o

You still have to earn the emeralds with Tails.

I've never liked playing as Sonic, but it is fun to occasionally try when I get bored as an experiment in WAD levels, because some of them let you get some momentum, but he can't really do anything or reach some of the places Tails can so exploring with him's a chore I can't be bothered with. I don't play the game for long enough stretches anymore to put up with Sonic's limitations. He's like the autistic kid of the family everyone else has to wait for. The other two can get around just fine, but Sonic has a hard time with everything.

And how does that not make sense? I've already played the levels, now I'd like to gi back and see what it would be like to literally own them. That was the awesome thing about Sonic 3, once you got all the emeralds, you could own the levels provided you had the rings. And why not? What's the point of a level you've already played ten times anyway? It's certainly not hard anymore, especially on a game that's all about memory.

Finding the emeralds is the hardest part as Tails. The stages are ridiculously easy to complete, since they require little to no skill with Tails.
On your Sonic argument. It seems like you like characters who make the stage easy to beat. That's fun and all, but what do you get out of it? Not much. Plus, Sonic has a lot of time attacks faster than Knuckles and Tails.
I'd also like to say that comparing Sonic to Tails is like comparing an apple to a carrot. They have few similarities, yet you're trying to compare them to one another.

Finding the emeralds is the hardest part as Tails. The stages are ridiculously easy to complete, since they require little to no skill with Tails.
On your Sonic argument. It seems like you like characters who make the stage easy to beat. That's fun and all, but what do you get out of it? Not much. Plus, Sonic has a lot of time attacks faster than Knuckles and Tails.
I'd also like to say that comparing Sonic to Tails is like comparing an apple to a carrot. They have few similarities, yet you're trying to compare them to one another.

Because you're saying that's why Tails can't turn super.

I get far, FAR more out of being Tails than Sonic, your argument is arbitrary, assuming someone can't get any joy out of a game if it isn't hard for them.

I like Tails because Tails can fly. Now, if someone would happen to make a WAD that made challenges revolving around flying, I would still like flying. If that became implemented for Tails, I would still like flying. In fact, the thing that drew me to SRB2 was that Tails was a fully playable character that could fly for an exceptionally long time in a 3-D environment. Turning super would do little to nothing to the levels if you already know the levels.

Again, why not just say "screw it" to the other characters and make the emerald tokens available to Sonic only if you get nothing from it with anyone else?

I'd like to remind you that there were two, opposing viewpoints in classic Sonic about this.

1. Sonic is the only player that gets to go super. (Sonic 2, Sonic 3)
2. Everybody and their mother gets to go super. Some people even get to go hyper (Sonic 3K)

We have chosen to use the design from Sonic 2, where Sonic gets to go super and Tails does not. I consider the super form insanity in S3K to be one of SEGA's biggest mistakes in the classic era (although nowhere near as bad as that god-awful CNZ2 barrel), diluting something cool until it no longer was cool at all.

Sonic 2 has the same "issue" that you complain about where Tails had no real reason to collect the emeralds, yet I personally considered that a benefit. It meant that I could play the game with a different style, even collecting all the emeralds and getting the good ending. This is especially relevant considering how Sonic went super in Sonic 2 (simply jumping). Lots of the time I spent playing Sonic 3, I would keep a shield at all times simply to avoid accidentally going Super Sonic. That didn't even work as Tails and Knuckles, either.

SRB2 uses multiple characters to provide different gameplay experiences. One of those differences is Super Sonic. If you want to blast through stages with reckless abandon, Sonic is the character to play as. Tails and Knuckles have a far more relaxed gameplay style more focused on exploration. If that appeals to you (which by your posts it appears to), then great! Enjoy yourself with it. Just understand that there are other gameplay styles in the game that are very different, and one of them includes a form purely designed to let you run really, really fast.

I'd like to remind you that there were two, opposing viewpoints in classic Sonic about this.

1. Sonic is the only player that gets to go super. (Sonic 2, Sonic 3)
2. Everybody and their mother gets to go super. Some people even get to go hyper (Sonic 3K)

We have chosen to use the design from Sonic 2, where Sonic gets to go super and Tails does not. I consider the super form insanity in S3K to be one of SEGA's biggest mistakes in the classic era (although nowhere near as bad as that god-awful CNZ2 barrel), diluting something cool until it no longer was cool at all.

Sonic 2 has the same "issue" that you complain about where Tails had no real reason to collect the emeralds, yet I personally considered that a benefit. It meant that I could play the game with a different style, even collecting all the emeralds and getting the good ending. This is especially relevant considering how Sonic went super in Sonic 2 (simply jumping). Lots of the time I spent playing Sonic 3, I would keep a shield at all times simply to avoid accidentally going Super Sonic. That didn't even work as Tails and Knuckles, either.

SRB2 uses multiple characters to provide different gameplay experiences. One of those differences is Super Sonic. If you want to blast through stages with reckless abandon, Sonic is the character to play as. Tails and Knuckles have a far more relaxed gameplay style more focused on exploration. If that appeals to you (which by your posts it appears to), then great! Enjoy yourself with it. Just understand that there are other gameplay styles in the game that are very different, and one of them includes a form purely designed to let you run really, really fast.

Then, will there ever be any reward for getting all the emeralds? The problem with the gameplay in Sonic 2 was, even though Tails did the same amount of work as Sonic, he got jack shit, making Sonic overpowered in that game. Obviously since Tails has his own ability in this one that isn't present, but it still makes getting all the emeralds redundant and without purpose. It just makes no sense, and it basically says "Ok you get to collect these emeralds but only Sonic can use them so even if you get all 7 they do absolutely nothing to benefit you,so it's just pointless to even try! You could pretty much go through the game without them and have the exact same game experience, only you save yourself a lot of work! Isn't that awesome?"

It just makes no sense, and it basically says "Ok you get to collect these emeralds but only Sonic can use them so even if you get all 7 they do absolutely nothing to benefit you,so it's just pointless to even try! You could pretty much go through the game without them and have the exact same game experience, only you save yourself a lot of work! Isn't that awesome?"
So don't collect them. You're complaining about them even being there? If they were removed, people would complain about them not being able to get the tokens. And as SpiritCrusher said,Tails makes secret obtaining way easier.

Well, preferably we could get a different "good end" for each character, but in practical terms it will probably be a long time before we even have ending cutscenes, never mind four of them.

If you don't want to collect the emeralds as Tails, _don't_. You can if you'd like, though, and you can use this to unlock secrets if find doing it as Sonic to be too challenging.

Just so you know, there is absolutely no chance we will allow Super Tails/Knuckles in the normal game without cheating. We would remove the emeralds from being collected as Tails/Knuckles over that, most definitely.

Well, preferably we could get a different "good end" for each character, but in practical terms it will probably be a long time before we even have ending cutscenes, never mind four of them.

If you don't want to collect the emeralds as Tails, _don't_. You can if you'd like, though, and you can use this to unlock secrets if find doing it as Sonic to be too challenging.

Just so you know, there is absolutely no chance we will allow Super Tails/Knuckles in the normal game without cheating. We would remove the emeralds from being collected as Tails/Knuckles over that, most definitely.

I thought you literally got nothing for getting the emeralds. Secrets is something.

You miss the point. You should always give people an incentive for doing something in a video game. Always. That's why we play as hedgehogs saving animals and not pixels that just jump across different, one-shaded colors. That's why most Adventure games work on item collecting; they work as a reward to unlock places you couldn't go before. Hell, that's why Super Sonic was invented. That's why platformers have level progression, instead of just unlocking everything from the start. That's why the museum in Sonic Gems has to be earned. To give players a real incentive to even try to get all the emeralds.

But if you actually do give something, at least you're not being dicks about it.

I've already suggested that.

No Super Tails I understand, but Knuckles was always able to go super when he got all 7 emeralds when playable in the classics.
S&K alone: S&K Super
S2 alone: Sonic Super
KiS2: K Super
S3&K: All Can go super, only Sonic and Knuckles can go Hyper.

I can also under stand removing hyper as there were no super emeralds.

Remember, use the based off the classics argument and people can use the same argument for adding Super Knuckles.

Use the argument of basing off of Sonic 2 and people can still use the same argument, after all Knuckles could only be used in Sonic 2 via lock on.
We could also use it for removing Knuckles too.

But this is off topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back