Which level do you like/hate the most in SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they are single player stages. That's what they are designed to be and any support they happen to have for coop was added as an afterthought, if at all.

Fine, then why did you add the option at all? Because from tat, it doesn't sound like anyone really cared about it.

Last edited:
You're right. We really don't care about Coop. The option was part of Doom, and we keep it around because we know a significant amount of people DO like it. That doesn't mean we design for it or worry about it much when making our stages. Surely it's obvious that our levels really don't support Coop very well, even with little hacks like the side passage in RVZ1 to prevent players in Coop from being trapped and other similar measures.

You're right. We really don't care about Coop. The option was part of Doom, and we keep it around because we know a significant amount of people DO like it. That doesn't mean we design for it or worry about it much when making our stages. Surely it's obvious that our levels really don't support Coop very well, even with little hacks like the side passage in RVZ1 to prevent players in Coop from being trapped and other similar measures.

It was never obvious to me, except for Red Volcano. I actually used to think the only way to beat Techno Hill 2 was co-op, because it didn't look like Sonic could pass over some slime at one part,and Deep Zea looks ideal for co-op because of alternate routes.

Why don't you care about co-op enough to make levels around it?

Because SRB2 isn't designed as a cooperative game. It's designed to emulate the classic Sonic games in 3D, which are mostly single player affairs. Sure, there was essentially a cooperative mode in the game by having the second player control Tails, but that really WAS cooperative because player 1 moved the camera and it was therefore not possible for player 2 to go off and explore on his own.

There are games that ARE designed around multiple players supporting each other to defeat challenges, but classic Sonic isn't one of them. If you'd like to make your own Coop-required level pack, you're free to do so and the support is in the game, but it's not something that we're interested in doing ourselves.

Because SRB2 isn't designed as a cooperative game. It's designed to emulate the classic Sonic games in 3D, which are mostly single player affairs. Sure, there was essentially a cooperative mode in the game by having the second player control Tails, but that really WAS cooperative because player 1 moved the camera and it was therefore not possible for player 2 to go off and explore on his own.

There are games that ARE designed around multiple players supporting each other to defeat challenges, but classic Sonic isn't one of them. If you'd like to make your own Coop-required level pack, you're free to do so and the support is in the game, but it's not something that we're interested in doing ourselves.

Oh.

Question about the emulating Sonic in 3-D thing: why are there no loops or halfpipes to run around?

Considering how difficult it would take to even have slopes render, doing full-blown loop physics is simply a huge waste of time. There'd have to be tons of new sprites to be designed.
Loops and halfpipes are shallow gameplay and cheap gimmicks that are just wastes of time. More often than not, it doesn't add to the gameplay and it's not worth the trouble.

What actual reasons could we have for slopes and loops other than "the classics had them"?

Considering how difficult it would take to even have slopes render, doing full-blown loop physics is simply a huge waste of time. There'd have to be tons of new sprites to be designed.
Loops and halfpipes are shallow gameplay and cheap gimmicks that are just wastes of time. More often than not, it doesn't add to the gameplay and it's not worth the trouble.

What actual reasons could we have for slopes and loops other than "the classics had them"?

No reason, I was only asking because the classics relied on them.

It probably doesn't really matter as much in a 3-D game, but there are tons of things that differentiate this from the classics, that being the main thing.

Slopes are a different thing, they could actually be used for some interesting gimmick. They essentially force you to keep moving, and putting hazards on a slope would open up some interesting gameplay possibilities. It's still too much effort for too little change, but slopes are certainly more useful than loops.

Which level do you like/hate most in SRB2?

I like GFZ and THZ, because I like music here. You can call me a n00b, but I don't care. I just like them.

I hate DSZ, because it's full of water. It can be a easier zone in co-op, but lags in the beggining are horrible.

As for co-op I think it's good ONLY if you RP or want to find secrets with friends. Matches are OK, but if you look down everything changes shape and for me it's hard to shoot.

BTW. When i was playing match in Meadow something Zone (i can't remember the names) I could enter a secret rooms full of ammo, shields and 1-ups. I don't know it was a wad file or what, but when I was trying to enter on another server I saw something that looks like a star or something (sprites were big and I saw it for around second...).

Oh, I'm from Poland in Europe, so my english sucks... (learning language by playing MMO)

Deep Sea Zone is very, very annoying. It always goes slow to the point of one minute I'm on one tile, the next I'm two tiles away. I blame this, however, not on SRB2, but my old and slow computer. I must say, I love Greenflower zone two. It's easily one the best places and certainly one of the most fun. Pity the boss of the zone isn't so great.

I completly Hate ERZ, it's the hardest and the only level that has caused me to have to restart the computer.
Anyway, my favorite is Red Volcano Zone, because it's the only level that uses Lava.

ERZ? I just joined yesterday, and have no idea what that's short for. Could you please explain? I know Z stands for zone, but that's about it.

ERZ 2. For some reason I can never make it to the end which I hate. I like all the other levels. They are no problem for me.

Slopes are a different thing, they could actually be used for some interesting gimmick. They essentially force you to keep moving, and putting hazards on a slope would open up some interesting gameplay possibilities. It's still too much effort for too little change, but slopes are certainly more useful than loops.

That, I agree with, but I think the game has slopes in places, doesn't it?

Honestly I was trying to point out the game doesn't do a very good job of recreating the classics. That doesn't make it a bad game, since I think it's awesome, but it's not a classic Sonic except for the art style.

Edit: And no, it's not because there's no loops. there's much more missing from it, but there are other things that take it's place, which I like, since I've always thought the shields sucked (except in Sonic 3 =3)

It's meant to emulate the classics. Not be them.

And no, there are no slopes at all. There are places where it looks like there are sloops, but looking closely, it's just a series of very small steps.

It's meant to emulate the classics. Not be them.

And no, there are no slopes at all. There are places where it looks like there are sloops, but looking closely, it's just a series of very small steps.

What's the difference in trying to emulate the classics and be the classics?

Aside from 'being' the classics meaning to completely copy a game, which I didn't say a classic emulation should. I meant that it's very different from them, art style and crappy story aside.

Crappy story? It's essentially the same as the classic Sonic games. By that I mean, it's nearly non-existent.

Another bit I forgot to mention, Mystic said it's to emulate the classics in 3D. So obviously, a transition from 2D to 3D is going to be very different. But it still has all the elements of the classics. For example: Chaos emeralds are collected at the player's leisure, rather than a part of the story; Sonic can actually be Super Sonic anywhere; there is no "doomsday monster" as the final boss instead of Eggman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back