This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've ever played New Super Mario 3D World, you're probably aware that your lives are taken from a global pool, rather than given to each player individually. This script recreates that as best as it can.

Every player shares the same life counter. Once it runs out, everyone dies. It's as simple as that. On the upside, any player can increase the life counter by earning extra lives. Co-op has become more co-operative, as you avoid dying to save your friends and attempt to complete the level.

Commands list:

obituaries <0-1>
By default, this is set to 0. If set to 1, you will get messages when a player loses a life, or gains a life. Handy, if you're the server player and want to see who is purposely dying.

setlifepool <1-99>
This sets the life pool manually, and is only usable by the server and admin. If you use zero or an invalid input, it will automatically tally the current players, and give you all 3 lives per player. (That's 9 lives, in a 3 player game.)

Anyway, that's just about it. If you got any bugs to shout out to me, feel free to let me know. Good luck being more conservative in net play!

Sync error fixed, thanks to Kitoko!

Attachments

• lifepool.lua
    4.8 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Plays like a more ruthless version of SM3DW's life system, where one person's death can mean game over for everyone. I like that! I haven't been able to detect any bugs, so welcome to Releases.

Wow. Very interesting. Why has never thought this before? It makes the playability way more interesting.

Nice work!

Just gave this a whirl on a public server and had a blast. Even if we did get destroyed by Red Volcano Zone :p good stuff!

Updated to 1.3

Due to popular demand, there is now an obituaries command.
obituaries <0-1> will let you see who dies and who earns lives, when set to 1.

Sharing lives... The only thing missing now is sharing rings like in Sonic Colors' Sonic Simulator 1,5 Players mode.

It's been done before, but it's an underground wad that a certain member worked on (ManicTH14). It's probably discontinued by this point, but hey, I'd be surprised to see it come back again for the MB.

Underground wads: wads that are famous outside of forums; usually unreleasable on the MB for content with no permission.

Sharing other things like rings, shields, and damage is possible to make. My only real intent was to make lives be shared, but I'll consider this.

(If I do, I'll have to set up toggles for each one...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back