• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[WIP]Zhire El.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, good first impressions are good... But remember, first impressions have to be made to be good, and too much work (for example anti-aliasing on a first character Wad) can cause one to give up long before finishing.

I can tell you one thing that I know the spriter personally and he wants to AA for the sake of it looking good. He doesn't care if it will take a while, as long as it looks good. Plus hard work pays off in the long run.

Anti aliasing helps the sprite to look smoother and more well defined, specially in SRB2. Chances are that your sprite will just look bland without any anti aliasing, specially if it has outlines to it.

There's nothing odd about it, r543, why are you so defensive about it being otherwise? Spriting is supposed to take effort, and anti aliasing is nothing more than one of the efforts applied to it.

Exactly, r543, I'm willing to do everything I can to make this look tip-top, I've updated the same sprites several times to match my preferences, shading, AA, etc.

Even without anti ailising, which should be used on any sprite larger than 16x16 I don't give a fuck what anyone says, your character's lineart is incredibly blocky and wonky. The shading is all over the place and I can see a lot of parts that have banding around the outline, which you should NEVER EVER do.

But it looks alright.

Can you explain what you mean by "blocky" and "wonky"? people tell me you're god-tier at spriting so can you reiterate?

Yes, good first impressions are good... But remember, first impressions have to be made to be good, and too much work (for example anti-aliasing on a first character Wad) can cause one to give up long before finishing.

This is actually true, I've restarted this wad about 3 to 5 times, spanning 2-3 years, I was inexperienced, didn't have any outside help, and was pretty frustrated at everyone telling me to anti-alias, even though I didn't have a clue what that was at the time, but don't worry, I know enough about to not have problems with it anymore, I get stuff done pretty fast, I actually updated Zhire's look 2 hours after the new post I made before.

I'm not saying that it's bad(I was talking more to Sonic100000, non antialiased sprites aren't as bad as he thinks/shows and are more a nice to have than a srb2 spriting standard), of course it adds more details and a nice effect, but it's a lot of extra work(srb2 already needs a lot of frames) and adding that for the first character wad might be too much. He already did some sprites and it's bad to have to start all over again many times.

I have about 1/3 of everything done, AA'ing is easy for me to change and improvise, it takes me some minutes just to AA 5-10 sprites, chillax

Until I have a lot more to show you guys, this is me just reminding you that I check this thread a lot, so give me a lot of feedback and chances are I will get to it.

( Thanks, Larz)

The outline is very blocky, I can't explain it any other way. There's a lot of jagged areas and the lineart doesn't look as smooth and polished as it should. Before all of you people start rambling about anti ailising, something this community can't even do properly for it's life most of the time, you should probably get rid of all shading and look at how good the actual lineart on your sprites are. Then we can move onto shading, anti ailising is an advanced thing and comes last, but it's probably not worth learning that on some fan character since you're beginning of course, so it's passable.

I can tell you one thing that I know the spriter personally and he wants to AA for the sake of it looking good. He doesn't care if it will take a while, as long as it looks good. Plus hard work pays off in the long run.
That post changes a lot, if the original creator wants to have the best possible sprite quality and restart all over, then it's ok.

Making the sprite have a more good looking quality doesn't necessarily means he has to restart it all over anyway.

Making the sprite have a more good looking quality doesn't necessarily means he has to restart it all over anyway.

To add on to this, anyone can simply just take their current work and build upon it to make it look better.

whGzrra.png

I'm not dead yet..

By the looks of Zhire, this would fit better on a 3D model rather than in 2D sprites.
I may do an MD2 dedicated to him when it is finished :) Can't wait to model the arm shields xP

The hair on the front seems to be incredibly flat at that angle. Perhaps some slight shading under said hair might help show that it is pointing out somewhat?

I think you should make the borders of your character lighter, so they don't stand out. Tails is a good example, since he's directly beside your character, allowing for easy comparison. Your character's ears are also a decent example of what the rest should be like, especially those two tufts of hair going left and right - don't use dark borders on light areas, especially if they're facing upward (keep in mind your light source). Also, your antialiasing could use some work. It's definitely improved since the last time I saw it, though, so keep up the good work.

Also, some metallic shading on those arm shields would work wonders.

Last edited:
I think you should make the borders of your character lighter, so they don't stand out. Tails is a good example, since he's directly beside your character, allowing for easy comparison. Your character's ears are also a decent example of what the rest should be like, especially those two tufts of hair going left and right - don't use dark borders on light areas, especially if they're facing upward (keep in mind your light source). Also, your antialiasing could use some work. It's definitely improved since the last time I saw it, though, so keep up the good work.

Also, some metallic shading on those arm shields would work wonders.

Yes, I have been lightening up the outlines on brighter areas recently, been slowly improving on my AA for some time now, I'm seeing more improvements each time I go back and refine my sprites a bit so the next update on the sprites should be promising, never thought about metallic shades on the shields either, guess I'll do that as well then.

Thanks.

I do feel your character seems to lack in anti aliasing mostly regarding around the outlining of the sprites.

282f899350.gif

I still have some stuff to iron out( like the heels), but yeah, if you haven't noticed, new hairdo and gear.
I was thinking about making the tail a separate object since it's pretty long/huge, that's why I left it out as of now.

The back sprite has way too strong contrast on the shading, given that it looks way too dark. The front sprites seem flat due to having just brightening and barely any shading at all, so you might want to give shading to those spikes in those three angles.

Also, why is his hair so big? As in, it looks too big for his head.

I liked the older sprites better for some reasons.In those there are the problems MotorRoach mentionned, however I think the hair is fine, just make them A BIT smaller. And about the shading, you should look forward to fix it; it seems to magically disapear once it reaches the side frame.

The back sprite has way too strong contrast on the shading, given that it looks way too dark. The front sprites seem flat due to having just brightening and barely any shading at all, so you might want to give shading to those spikes in those three angles.

Also, why is his hair so big? As in, it looks too big for his head.

I think the second is a complaint about the design of the character, rather than actual criticism. Besides, the hair looks fine.

I think they look nice, but it'd be easier to tell if you slowed down the gif a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back