• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Single player collab discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I read the criticism about my Cloudy Domain Act 1 song, so I'm working on a new one that will fit the theme of the level better.

W.I.P. preview

It's similar to the original, but...different! Remember that it's not finished, things will be added and might change for the final version, which will be posted in the submission topic. When it's finished.

Last edited:
edit: Oh, about the gravity turrets, you can get stuck if you destroy them. Are you planning on fixing this?
That's on purpose. The turrets will never be used in a situation where you need to get hit by them to progress. Quite the opposite: In most cases, you will want to avoid them because the path they send you to is harder and/or longer.

Nice work, that does fit quite a lot better already.

And just so that everyone can judge for themselves, here's a WIP screenshot!
mikr2h.jpg

Looks great. Are the clouds simple platforms or do they have any special properties?

And I can't determine this from the screenshot, but the sky might blend in too much with the cloud platforms.

Looks great. Are the clouds simple platforms or do they have any special properties?

And I can't determine this from the screenshot, but the sky might blend in too much with the cloud platforms.
The cloud underneath the floating cloud is bouncy, the floating cloud itself is intangible from below. I figured I could use the bouncy platforms gimmick, because Zany Ziggurat has a lot of gimmicks while Cloudy Domain doesn't. Aside from slippery clouds (which should be utilized in Cryonic City/Frost Factory in my opinion) and weak clouds.

And you might have a point there. The sky is very much a WIP anyway, so I'll keep that in mind once I get to work on it some more.

Well now, EvilEnternity, that is a lot better, and quite fitting. Care if I remaster it a bit?

Also, looking good as ever, Spherallic.

Last edited:
Well now, EvilEnternity, that is a lot better, and quite fitting. Care if I remaster it a bit?
I don't mind at all! Feel free to do whatever you like with it. Remember that the finished version is in the submission topic, but I'm sure you knew that already.

So, earlier in 'fun, we were wondering; why is the SKY level the SECOND zone? Sky levels by nature are a giant death pit with stuff floating over it. It'd probably be best to move it to after Haunted House, since that stage ends with a cannonball escape to the skies anyway.

I like the idea of cloudy domain being zone 2, but getting the difficulty right will be tricky to pull off. The only thing I could think of is maybe a wind current gimmick: fall in a pit once and the wind blows you back up, fall in the same pit twice and you're dead. Though that may not work because I have no clue how you'd make the player understand that they're not allowed to fall in the same pit more than once.

Anyway, the level order does have a few issues with it. I'd push for Cloudy Domain sticking in zone 2 purely for the novelty of having a non-late game sky zone, but it can't be helped if it winds up not being able to be made easy enough. It's easier to make levels harder than it is easier, so it's probably good to not go overboard with the difficulty until we have a finalized order, except on haunted house and steam engine which are pretty much guaranteed the late game spots.

The smartest idea is just letting everyone do whatever the hell they want with their level's difficulty, then ordering the list based on the end results, with a few tweaks of course.

I can't find that being a good idea in the long run. Haunted House may end up the second to FIRST zone or the hive being the last.

Also, I had suggestions for some renames for Haunted House, since I recently found it its supposed to be a castle, making the name both bland AND a bit of a misnomer. So here are some things I came up with (a bit restrictive since everyone is doing the silly CD naming convention).

Frightening Fortress
Fright Fortress
Fear Fortress
Furious Fortress
Chilling Castle
Chilling Chateau

The CD naming convention is making this a lot more difficult than it should... Are we even doing that? Because some of these levels arn't even doing that.

Last edited:
How about we actually vote for the SP Level Pack Collab's level order, just to sort this out once and for all, like we did with the actual zones chosen in the first place?

As in, someone actually making the effort to start up a voting topic for that, rather than us throwing ideas around and waiting for others to deal with the problem.

The CD naming convention is making this a lot more difficult than it should... Are we even doing that? Because some of these levels arn't even doing that.
I don't think so. We just happened to vote in a bunch of alliterative levels. :V

Anyway, I think holding a vote for the level order would be going a bit overboard. You can tell the general difficulty of most of the zones just reading the descriptions for their ideas, and the ones in dispute can be moved around after they're made.

First
Charybdizs said:

Second
Tyler52 said:
I hope you don't me remastering this.

I was deciding whether to post this in this topic or the discussion topic, but this has a possibility of actually getting used in the pack, so...

Really? :|

You did a nice job, actually, but I'm still taking this one. I owe you a new visit to your soundcloud, as you're definitely improving since you went to original music.

Last edited:
Loving those textures, Katmint!

http://midishrine.com/midi/46021.mid
New song for Heavenly Tower/Cloudy Domain. Finished this time!
This is great! Most of the songs you've posted so far are

I hope you don't me remastering this.

I was deciding whether to post this in this topic or the discussion topic, but this has a possibility of actually getting used in the pack, so...
This isn't, however. It's off-key, and the instrumentation is really bad. It lacks that echo and general feel that the original MIDI has (when played under MSGS)

Last edited:
This isn't, however. It's off-key, and the instrumentation is really bad. It lacks that echo and general feel that the original MIDI has (when played under MSGS)

I must say I disagree. Where is it off-key?

I was actually somewhat impressed, I view this to be the best Tyler has done yet. The only instrumentation that is really on the edge is that horn patch. It's just a little too bold, and it's part is unrealistic and grating. I adore the violin flourishes in the background. I don't know if those were intentional or not, but they give it some nice emotion. The whole song reminds me of Sky Tower, from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Also I claim Honeyhive's theme, so no one go making it. :<
I might take a shot at Zany Ziggurat's Theme, too.

Count on a demo of Gravity Garden Zone coming soon. I'm just ironing out a few flaws in it as of present~

Yes, but his needs a lot of work. I'll probably draw some ideas from it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back