Sylveon - With new sprites.

Lat'

Absolute territory where
Kart Krew™️
Sylveon has some custom abilities to make it unique compared to the vanilla characters. So, what can it do then?

Double Jump ability: Moonjump

Works just like TF2, it propels Sylveon in the air to a decent speed, allowing to get close to Sonic's! However, be aware that it will hurt you by 5 HPs . It also leaves a fancy smoke trail behind your burning butt!

CUSTOM1: Moonblast

It's a projectile that explodes. Cool story, huh?!

SPIN (while jumping): LightScreen

A kind of instashield that gives a 0.25 second invulnerability, allowing to cheese out projectiles and ERZ lasers! Unlike Sonic 3 (and probably Fucking Sonic's) instashield, it won't send back projectiles, just stop them.

Boredoom Animation: Rest
In case Sylv' needs some HPs to continue its robot genocide, it can always take a nap to regain HPs! You get 1 HP every 2 seconds by waiting.

SPIN (Standing): QuickAttack

Hold spin and smash forward to charge it, it will give you a momentum boost that lasts as long as you don't go below your normal top speed or jump. It won't destroy enemies, but will destroy bustable walls.

SPIN (Walking/Running): Slide

Press spin while moving to slide, it will allow you to go under tight spaces and damage enemies.

Advantages and disadvantages compared to other characters:

+) Sylveon uses an HP system, making it even more harder to kill than other characters!
+) The Moonjump is damn useful when used correctly.
+) Sylveon can turn Super by itself in Single Player and Co-Op.

-) Sylveon in overall is slow and is pretty useless when it's out of HPs and cannot use Moonjump anymore.
-) The Quick Attack does not damage the enemies, making it act more like a peel out than a spindash used to go through enemies.

Now the pratical question is:
"Is Sylveon cappable of beating the SP campaign?!"

The awnser is yes. Make good use of your abiltiies, and you should be okay!
Most custom levels can be completed too, the only exception being Toaster's Glacier Gear, as Sylveon cannot go farther than that one door that makes the player go in the 2D section. That's too bad, because I like this level =/

Have fun with that WAD, and don't forget to leave feedback for further versions. Go easy on me if it's about sprites, those are already a miracle from my standpoint.

Known glitches / issues:
1) Some problems related to the slide on platform moving upward.
2) The Slide shrinks the eventual carried shield.

Special Thanks to LJ Sonik and Zipper for the help with the script.

Attachments

• Sylveon.rar
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,289
Last edited:
Oh well I'm just bumping this because I doubt people will even notice this thread if I don't.

Of course unless you tell people on Skype XP

Unfortunately, I can't try out the wad ATM, but I will in a few weeks. Its nice to see a non-ripped Pokemon released.

This is interesting, I can see some good concepts going on here. I'll try it out right away :P

Okay, Played it and it's okay, but I found it a little boring but I'm just a critical guy who you should ignore and avoid ^^

I see potential, and I think a lot of people would like this. ^^

For the thin areas can't you do some Lua to make the collision detection work as if Sylveon is spinball size? (I'm probably being an idiot saying this though.)

Last edited:
For the thin areas can't you do some Lua to make the collision detection work as if Sylveon is spinball size? (I'm probably being an idiot saying this though.)

That's the point of the slide that will be added when I'll have the sprites done for it. (Will probably use a modified version of the hurt frames)

Sylveon's jump sound seems to be set to "sfx_none" in his S_SKIN, but S_SKIN sounds are of the form DSXXXXXX rather than sfx_xxxxxx. This causes him to make the thok sound whenever he jumps, so you might want to change that if you don't want him to make a sound.

Sylveon's jump sound seems to be set to "sfx_none" in his S_SKIN, but S_SKIN sounds are of the form DSXXXXXX rather than sfx_xxxxxx. This causes him to make the thok sound whenever he jumps, so you might want to change that if you don't want him to make a sound.

This is intentional.
In fact I was searching for a jump sound that doesn't look like Sonic's, so I left it to sfx_none and realized the thok sound (that plays as default) could replace the jump sound when I firstly tested it.
But I can put back the spinjump sound if that really bothers.

Because Sylveon at least needs somehwhat good super transformation frames...
AdmiredCoolGuanaco.gif

I still need to do the Super Frames themselves.

Isn't that Jasper's super lua except with the sparkles recolored to red?

Super Jasper's sparkles are already red. :V

EDIT: Okay, they're maybe more pink. You got me.

Now about the script, it's true that I took Jasper's idea to use A_BossExplode to spawn random shiny sparkles around the player (I needed those). But I did not steal the whole Lua too.
the only thing I took from it is the thing to check if the player done a double jump (This is also on the wiki but I was lazy to get it there as I already had it in Jasper's Lua lump.), go check yourself if you're not believing me, I'm not "A Cat-like".

Last edited:
Death frames somewhat affected by gravity!

ApprehensiveHotChafer.gif

and the new super frames in the work.
I also changed the way the colors flashed because of how awful it was, it looks MUCH BETTER now, and removed the sparkles as it semt to bug someone. (Yeah I'll have to improve that first frame, I feel like I rushed it, somehow.)

RectangularCoordinatedIrishsetter.gif

Last edited:
The super frames are all done (or almost, aside of the hurt frame and the ledgeborder one that are just gonna be reskins of the frames assigned for those actions when Sylveon is not super.), and Sylveon in overall is almost ready to see the light of its -hopefully- final release!
And because I got bored, here are the Super death frames! (Yup, they exist!)

InsignificantFondGrunion.gif

(I did TOTALLY NOT USE TURNSUPER.LUA)

As a side note, Sylveon's MoonJump will now assigned to the "double jump", this saves CUSTOM2 for a new ability (Hyper Voice.), and makes it accessible more easyly, especially to those using controllers or having the CUSTOMs buttons put in weird places (Like mines. I never found where they would be useful, so I use B, N and M.)
It still functions the same way tough.

So, from what I can tell by playing the (currently released) version of this WAD...

Admittedly, the sprites are kinda bad - but you seem to already know about this and I doubt I could explain it any better than any of the sprite artists already on this board. Honestly, sprite work isn't my forte, and it's not really what I look for in a WAD.

Character mechanics is. And hoo, does this WAD have some interesting and fun character mechanics!

First thing I noticed upon booting up this WAD.. Sylveon uses a HP system. Second thing I noticed, it's capped at 50 - which means I can't get any extra lives from collecting rings anymore! This meant I ended up scavenging around for the lives I could remember the locations of within the levels. A suggestion for this would be to have Sylveon gain 200 points for every ring he* collects while at full health. While this would mean that Sylveon could gain lives from playing carelessly (as Sonic & Co. actually have to not get hit to gain their ring-lives) - this also means that it takes 250 rings to earn a life, and the rings can be collected between stages - so I think it balances out well. Naturally Sylveon wouldn't earn any points for collecting rings while Super, as he has infinite max HP then.

Second thing, I noticed the Moonblast projectile, while slightly hard to aim in third person (easily cheesed by just switching to first), is crazy OP. Arguably more OP than the movement ability - I wouldn't mind having this ability cost 3 HP to fire, just like the movement ability. Especially considering Sylveon can Rest to gain HP anyway, so it's hardly an issue to the lesser skilled players - as they'd be standing still more often. Probably.

The Moonjump thing.. that's actually pretty fun. Using it a lot is risky (as you lose HP), which I like. Also like how it interacts with Light Screen (reducing the HP usage from 3 to 1) Basically, I really like this ability. It should stay as it is. It doesn't feel too powerful, either - you need to get enough of a running start to get any speed from it, and the air it gives you - while a bit better than a whirlwind-jump - is still not too much. (Although I don't like how using it at 3 HP just outright kills you. I'd prefer it just prevent you from using the ability instead - basically having Sylveon be too tired to actually use it. Pretend he's out of PP or something.)

Light Screen.. I always forget to use defensive moves, and this is no exception. All I can really say is that the HUD looks a bit horizontally crushed for it.

And Quick Attack.. I gotta say, I'm not too fond of how this works. For starters, charging it takes long enough as it is, but then hurtling forwards at Chaos Control-like speeds is just.. disorienting. I do like how you can stop it with spin, but the speed you get is just a bit too much. Personally, I'd like it just to be a quick forward-dash you can do just by tapping the spin button. Only lasting about half a second or something, and probably only propelling you about 10 Sonics distance. (Yes, a Sonic is a measurement of distance) Kinda like how Quick Attack works in Pokémon Rumble, in a way.

And yeah, a slide would be pretty useful too. Perhaps having to get a running start and just diving flat with high friction until you stop would be suffice? (Similar to how the Rosy WAD handles things)

* 87.5% of all Sylveons are male, so I'm calling him a he. ;U

I must say, thanks for the feedback!

So, I'll get point by point, as you did...

*For the HPs, I think your suggestion is fine. I'm just gonna have to find a proper way to do it and that should be good. I also thought of separating the HPs from the RINGs counter, which would make Super Sylveon have to collect 50 Rings and lose them instead of HPs, which makes more sense.

*I already added a Knockback that is relative to your current aiming and speed from performing moonblast. It would possibly allow a weaker Moonjump by aiming down (For the cost of some momentum, dunno if I should let the Player perform both abilities in a single jump tough) but it also makes the player want to be more standing still to avoid loosing momentum in the air whatsoever. It's pretty much done, but the horizontal momentums are pretty screwed up when firing for the momment. The fire delay is now 2,5 secs, and 0,5 for Ssylveon.

*The suicide Moonjump message was even more lovely in the very first version. I liked the suicide mechanic as it actually punished the player for not taking care of his HPs, even tough, I modified it so it just prints something in the console instead

*I found the LightScreen text too big (Look the first gifs) so I used a thin font. I could also just make a shorter text.

*I changed the QuickAttack to do what you said -or close anyway- pressing it once without charging thrust the player to its running speed. Charging it for 1 Second or more thrust the player to 1,2 x -almost- Sonic's speed for 2 seconds.
I don't know if the durations are good tough.

*As for the slide, that's how I intended to do it, it will just keep the player's momentum and let it slow down on the ground (Like the spin, it will not let you down under a wall). I'll let to the player the ability to jump out of the slide tough.

**I have to add a "whatgenderisit" command.

Here is the hopefully last update!

- Sylveon now has a separate RINGS counter, allowing it to get extra lives and proper end-of-level bonuses out of the Rings collected. It sets back to 0 if it gets hit.

- Added a lot of new frames; hurt, 1-up icon, super transformation, super, slide, deaths frames affected by physics, super death frames, drowning frames (even tough they're not properly working, they only work if the player dies form anything else than drowning underwater. I was lazy to fix that as no one really cares.)

- Moonjump has been moved to the double-jump ability and now costs 5 HPs instead of 3. It also won't kill the player anymore if it doesn't have the required ammount of HPs.

- Moonblast now gives Knockback to the player. The knockback is relative to your speed and viewing angle. The cooldown has been lenghtned from 1 to 5 seconds.

- Added a slide, allowing Sylveon to be fully able to complete the SP campaign without worrying about ERZ1's right path!

- LightScreen has been moved to CUSTOM2.

- Sylveon now always respawns with 50 HPs.

Updated the main post for abilities explanations, gifs and the attachement.
Have fun, and don't forget to leave your feedback so I can improve this!

Lat' said:
Sylveon's slide is a straight downgrade to the other characters' spin, not sending the player forward or even allowing them to glitch the game's physics.

Four14S.gif
I had to screw around with it for maybe two minutes, but jumping instantaneously after launching the slide basically allows you to zoom in the air with a ton of control much like a spindash. You could also follow up with a Moonjump to abuse the speed even further, and I guess I could've used the Whirlwind Shield to abuse the speed even more if I wanted to!

Also as a sidenote, sliding causes your shield to shrink down with you; not sure if that's solvable or not

Last edited:
Uhm... Sliding doesn't even thrust Sylveon's momentums when you use it, it just keeps the player's speed and slows it down by letting go the controls until the player stops. Also, I dare you to try to control Quick Attack... with analog mode on.
Now about the shield I'll try, but I doubt I can do anything. ...If only SRB2 wasn't that bitch when it comes to change the height of the player -_-'

A friend of mine suggested to replace the actual Light Screen by a kind of Insta-Shield.
Should I keep it like before or use this?

QuerulousMaleHoiho.gif

(Not Sonic Advance shield recolored pink.)

A friend of mine suggested to replace the actual Light Screen by a kind of Insta-Shield.
Should I keep it like before or use this?

QuerulousMaleHoiho.gif

(Not Sonic Advance shield recolored pink.)
You can use it if the lovered price for moon jump is kept if not just no

You can use it if the lovered price for moon jump is kept if not just no

Well they function in a pretty different way, but making the player using LightScreen AND Moonjump at the same time could actually work, as the player will then be unable to use LightScreen in the jump.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back