Why isn't there any momentum in Srb2?

DocThok

May Thok
And by that I mean, why do the characters don't gain momentum by going down slopes? Is there any design choice that prevents this? Because it IS possible (momentum by cobaltbw, classic physics and XMomentum come to mind).

It hasn't been implemented properly. You do get a speed boost down slopes but its severely capped

Edit: 2.3 will have proper slope/momentum physics based on the Discord dev leaks

Last edited:
It's a problem with the way friction is applied in SRB2—the movement code is kind of a giant hack where it's simply built to overpower friction while on the ground. Once you're past your normalspeed and aren't accelerating anymore, friction just pulls your speed back down until it's below your normalspeed again. Friction's power is even multiplicative based on your speed, so it's more powerful the faster you go. It's awful!

Also similar to Sonic 1, SRB2 has a speed cap on the ground while not spinning, although you don't decelerate instantly.

Except a fix in 2.3 or later, as lots of 2.2 level packs would probably break or be cheesable if they added slope momentum. That's not the only reason, but I'm sure that's enough to prevent a patch going out, let alone the exploits we could do in the main game

The devs generally keep MAJOR MAJOR gameplay changes to major versions, aka 2.3, for reasons TmanLong872 mentioned alongside others.

so basically i think it's because srb2 was built off a doom engine. that's my take.
yes i was too lazy to properly write this

so basically i think it's because srb2 was built off a doom engine. that's my take.
yes i was too lazy to properly write this

no, it's actually because of what lach said. there is actually slope momentum, more clearly if you're rolling down a huge slope. mods like cobalt's momentum mod and classic.wad simply change the way friction works to help noticeably preserve momentum.

It isn't accurate to say there's no momentum in SRB2. Rather, momentum is severely restricted if you are on ground and not spinning, which sticks out like a sore thumb if you really try experimenting with going at high speeds. You can charge up a full spindash and do a wide jump, perhaps stacking it with a character ability, but as soon as you land on the ground, you're back to the comparatively low max ground speed. This speed cap unfortunately detriments gameplay quite a bit, especially with things like horizontal springs or downward slopes; what's more satisfying than doing a cool aerial stunt in a Sonic game and then landing on the ground running at extra-high speed? SRB2 would certainly benefit from allowing cool stuff like that.

Well there is one character with some form of momentum in the base game. Metal Sonic because of his boost mode.

And by that I mean, why do the characters don't gain momentum by going down slopes? Is there any design choice that prevents this? Because it IS possible (momentum by cobaltbw, classic physics and XMomentum come to mind).

The lack of momentum, is caused by application of the friction in SRB2, 2.3 is addressing the problems related to momentum and is adding improved slope physics (like rolling up a half-loop properly). Obviously I know this because of those devleaks.

I'd love to blabber about what 2.3 is adding, but for the sake of the conversation I'm not.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Except a fix in 2.3 or later, as lots of 2.2 level packs would probably break or be cheesable if they added slope momentum. That's not the only reason, but I'm sure that's enough to prevent a patch going out, let alone the exploits we could do in the main game

Definitely, but at the very least most mods and levels are still are going to work (though differently and more "chesseable" since proper momemtum is here, XMomentum shows that).

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back