zSRB2 - SRB2 for Zandronum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Finally managed to get shields system working, Arman Force and Wind shields, along with a checkpoint system that is alot easier to setup compared to SRB2's, I just need to finish the last touches, along with few map ports.

I have also reached a point to say Monitor breaking is finished and should no longer be glitchy, with a slight ZThrust after any monitor pop.

I Just discovered there was an ACS function that somehow isn't mentioned in the ZDoom wiki called APROP_Height, this means i can finally create a much better Spindash ability that allows to go under obstacles just like the original, and with ActorFloorZ and ActorCeilingZ i can keep the character spinning until it exits the obstacle section, In the current test version of the game you can spin and break monitors with your spindash, but can't go under obstacles where it's impossible to get in while standing, this won't be an issue anymore, Hell it's getting better and better, this means I can finally procceed to Porting GFZ as a proof of concept to demonstrate the feature.

I have also discovered a way to modify the effect of 3D Floor water without having to use a tricky cheap gravity system, this is done with the waterlevel property, a script that automatically disables the fly property on waterlevel>1, combine that with the current gravity system and we get a semi-accurate SRB2 water, with bubbles spawning near player on waterlevel>1, so yeah i'll upload v1 very soon after Spîndash system is done along with GFZ, and will probably throw a video here later before that happens, Stay tuned.

Oh dear, another update, still no v1 yet, consider it another beta (Link updated in the OP) :

• Diagonal Springs will Force changing the angle of player now.
  • Yet more Improvements to collision detection with monitors.
  • 3 Shields, Force, Wind and Elemental Shield (With their abilities, Elemental shield however might kill the player and doesn't disable fire damagetype yet).
  • Railring no longer Insta-kills it's target.
  • Added Rain (Clientsided for sake of Ping) to Thunder Citadel (slight FPS issue sometimes).
  • 2 New map ports Noxious Factory and Desolate Twilight.
  • Over 20 thing types Recreated in DECORATE Format, using the exact same DoomEdNums to ease porting rest of maps.
  • Improved ZThrust after breaking monitors.
  • Velocity detection and Running animation added.
  • Disabled the Idle animation system temporarily because it has caused another Multiplayer issue elsewhere, will fix it later.

Would a benefit of the ZDoom stuff include a bigger draw distance / less buggy big rooms? Because that would be killer, my last map had some severe visual glitches because the central area was too big and so I had to cut off and reform a piece of the level. Good job with the endless stream of updates though lol

Would a benefit of the ZDoom stuff include a bigger draw distance / less buggy big rooms? Because that would be killer, my last map had some severe visual glitches because the central area was too big and so I had to cut off and reform a piece of the level. Good job with the endless stream of updates though lol
Yes, one of the benefits would include a bigger draw distance, and more stable big maps.

Good job with the endless stream of updates though lol

Thanks lol, Though i feel compelled to say i'm not gonna be able to port every Singleplayer map after basic features are finished, because some SRB2 Specific features such as gravity flip don't seem possible (unless i'm missing something).

EDIT : Nevermind, Gravity flip is possible along with proper control flip.

Last edited:
Boop, Update :

• Elemental Shield now Blocks Fire Damagetypes (Sector effects Included), And Player is no longer harmed by his own Firetrails.
  • Fixed a Glitch that caused Firetrails to Fly and Bounce on planes.
  • You can no longer harm yourself with your own Bomb Rings and Bounce Rings.
  • You no longer have to be on top of Monitor to break it, Just Jumping frames.
  • 3 More maps Ported with all their features, Frost Columns, Orbital Hangar and Infernal Cavern (Best to test the new Shield).
  • Even more Thing types recreated, such as Dropping water.
  • Improvements for the previously ported levels.
  • New : Jump height will now increase depending on how long you hold your Jump button.

Link Updated in the OP.

I finally decided to use my account again to say... this seems absolutely amazing, although I have one problem.

It won't work for me. No matter what I do, the games, no matter if it's the intended engine, ZDoom, or GZDoom, will not load the game properly. It will basically only load map01... which is basically a square of missing textures, and that's it. I do not know how to load it properly, and the included batch file does nothing. Er... help?

For some reason, when I ran zSRB2 it crashes with a fatal error. I put zSRB2 where I installed Zandronum.

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding C:/Program Files (x86)/Zandronum/zandronum.pk3, 696 lumps
adding srb2.wad, 607 lumps
adding C:/Program Files (x86)/Zandronum/announcer/ZanACG.pk3, 104 lumps
adding C:/Program Files (x86)/Zandronum/announcer/ZanGeneric.pk3, 105 lumps
adding srb2.pk3, 2828 lumps
adding srb2.pk3:desolate.wad, 13 lumps
adding srb2.pk3:icicle.wad, 13 lumps
adding srb2.pk3:lava.wad, 13 lumps
adding srb2.pk3:meadow.wad, 13 lumps
adding srb2.pk3:newcitadel.wad, 13 lumps
adding srb2.pk3:orbital.wad, 13 lumps
adding srb2.pk3:toxic.wad, 13 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Speed: 3817 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
Name: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor
Family 21 (21), Model 2, Stepping 0
Features: MMX MMX+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.24.16
V_Init: allocate screen.
Using in-memory database. The database will not be saved on exit.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
P_Init: Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
Unknown patch 'REDWALP' in texture 'REDWALL'
Unknown patch 'REDWALP' in texture 'REDWALL'
Unknown patch 'ACZRWP' in texture 'ACZRAILW'
Unknown patch 'BARRLP1' in texture 'BARLSIDE'
Unknown patch 'BARRLP1' in texture 'BARLSIDE'
Unknown patch 'BARRLP2' in texture 'BARREL2'
Unknown patch 'BARRLP2' in texture 'BARREL2'
Unknown patch 'CEZDOORP' in texture 'CEZDOOR'
Unknown patch 'EGOLDT1P' in texture 'EGGOLDT1'
Unknown patch 'EGOLDT2P' in texture 'EGGOLDT2'
Unknown patch 'EGTRAP1P' in texture 'EGGTRAP1'
Unknown patch 'EGTRAP2P' in texture 'EGGTRAP2'
Unknown patch 'ERWAL16A' in texture 'ERZWAL16'
Unknown patch 'GFZBRIK1' in texture 'GFZBRICK'
Unknown patch 'GFZBRIK1' in texture 'GFZDOOR'
Unknown patch 'GFZBRIK2' in texture 'GFZDOOR'
Unknown patch 'GFZDOORP' in texture 'GFZDOOR'
Unknown patch 'VINE2' in texture 'GFZVCRCK'
Unknown patch 'VINE2' in texture 'GFZVINES'
Unknown patch 'GFZBRIK1' in texture 'GFZWINDW'
Unknown patch 'GFZBRIK2' in texture 'GFZWINDW'
Unknown patch 'GFZWINDP' in texture 'GFZWINDW'
Unknown patch 'ACZSKY' in texture 'SKY13'
Unknown patch 'ACZSKY' in texture 'SKY13'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY1' in texture 'SKY21'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY2' in texture 'SKY21'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY8' in texture 'SKY21'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY9' in texture 'SKY21'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY1' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY2' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY3' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY4' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY5' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY6' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY7' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY8' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY9' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY10' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY11' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY12' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY13' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY14' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY15' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY16' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY17' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY18' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY19' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY20' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY21' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY22' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY23' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY24' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY25' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY26' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY27' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY28' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY29' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY30' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY31' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'ERSKY32' in texture 'SKY22'
Unknown patch 'SRBWIP2' in texture 'SRB1WIP2'
Unknown patch 'SRBWIP2' in texture 'SRB1WIP2'
Unknown patch 'WARNING' in texture 'THZWAL10'
Unknown patch 'XMAS03P' in texture 'XMAS03'
Unknown patch 'XMAS04P' in texture 'XMAS03'
Unknown patch 'XMAS04P' in texture 'XMAS03'
Unknown patch 'XMAS03P' in texture 'XMAS03'
Unknown patch 'XMAS03P' in texture 'XMAS04'
Unknown patch 'XMAS04P' in texture 'XMAS04'
Unknown patch 'XMAS04P' in texture 'XMAS04'
Unknown patch 'XMAS03P' in texture 'XMAS04'
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Tried to register class 'BrownSTLGagmiteTall' more than once.
Tried to register class 'OrangeSTLGagmite' more than once.
Script warning, "" line 0:
Icon 'CTKN' for 'ChaosToken' not found

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "srb2.pk3:actors/rings.txt" line 1:
Expected '{', got 'Blast'.

My bad, I should have mentioned you need Zandronum 3.0 to run this game, It requires some of the newer ZDoom 2.7.1 Features that aren't currently supported by Zandronum 2.1.2, and also some Multiplayer specific features that aren't available in ZDoom or GZDoom, I'll update the OP.

My bad, I should have mentioned you need Zandronum 3.0 to run this game, It requires some of the newer ZDoom 2.7.1 Features that aren't currently supported by Zandronum 2.1.2, and also some Multiplayer specific features that aren't available in ZDoom or GZDoom, I'll update the OP.

Oh, really? Thanks! If I knew that 3.0 had features the other version did not have, I would have gotten that instead, as it would be better. Simple mistake, huh? Well, now I finally get to try this out!

Thanks! That fixed the fatal error that I was getting with zSRB2. BTW, zSRB2 is much faster than vanilla SRB2.

It's because of the uncapped FPS, vanilla SRB2 / Doom Legacy is capped at same FPS original Doom was capped at, which is 35, ZDoom gets rid of that issue by setting object times directly through DECORATE (35 tic for second) so it doesn't have to worry about things going ridiculously fast if FPS is uncapped.

It's a cool advantage IMO.

Ok, More changes done :

• Cleanup: Fixed all annoying Startup errors, this also makes the game editor friendly and will show thing types there now.
  • New Score system, You receive 50 Points for hurting opponents and 100 for killing them, Bind a key for the new Scoreboard in options.
  • Removed Unrelated / Unncessary controls from controls list.
  • Re-enabled OpenGL Options Menu that was accidentally disabled last time.
  • Timer.
  • Monitors no longer require "sv_nomonsters" to be false to spawn (thanks god finally).
  • New Drowning system and Bubbles to breath.
  • Elemental Shield will let you breath Underwater.
  • New Map Ports, Diamond Blizzard, Celestial Sanctuary and Tidal Palace (Best to test the Drowning system).
  • Added Tails, he doesn't get tired of flying yet though (lol), I Added this to make some Tails areas reachable (Such as the ones in Desolate Twilight) but will update it eventually to play just like SRB2's.
  • Yet more Improvements to the existing levels, Frost Columns now has Snow effects and non solid snow blocks.
So now we have total of 10 Match Levels fully playable, still missing few, Eh whatever, go give it a shot (Link updated in the OP).

I love how we dragged our feet over the prospect of porting SRB2 to another engine under the assumption that it'd take way too much effort, and yet this one guy has pretty much implemented the core of the game in, like, a week. Eager to see how far you can take this.

I love how we dragged our feet over the prospect of porting SRB2 to another engine under the assumption that it'd take way too much effort, and yet this one guy has pretty much implemented the core of the game in, like, a week. Eager to see how far you can take this.
Only the multiplayer, though. It's Singleplayer and the modding features that were always a bitch to move.

Meanwhile, we have better slopes than they do now, so there's that.

I'm also eager to see how far this goes, though.

30% SRB2 Specific features aren't possible to recreate so I'd have to use some alternates, Surprised to see it's even possible to recreate Electric shield with Negative Radius thrust towards the player, So yeah expect it to be inaccurate, but hey, It's the best you can do without touching the engine.

My goodness, it seems like every time I breathe a new update to this is released, and I like that!

Another great update, although... may I request something from this? Single player support. Not exactly SRB2 like single player, I just think it would be cool to go through the main campaign of Doom 2 as Sonic without things working incorrectly. While weapon rings don't damage monsters, I can jump on them, so that's one step in the right direction for people like me.

I'm planning to port few Singleplayer SRB2 Maps (But not all of them since some Sector types and linedef effects aren't possible to recreate, even UDMF Format doesn't have proper 3D Polyobjects support), Right now it won't be possible to go through Doom 2 levels as Sonic, the new gameplay mechanics, heights, systems (like the new Health system) ... etc don't lend themselves well in Doom, I Just need to get the basics ready to ensure it's bug-free.

EDIT : I Just got permission from TheArmyGuy to use his Chasecam mod for the game (with few updates), SRB2 Chasecam here we come :), Great thanks to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back