Special Stage Remastered. (special_stage_remastered.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
My be my first release of a special stage level pack from me. Containing 7 levels.

Since this took me awhile to get it done, I'll give you of what contains in each level, plus a screenshot.

Special Stage 1
Rings needed: 130
Time limit: 80

Special Stage 2
Rings needed: 500
Time limit: 320

Special Stage 3
Rings needed: 250
Time limit: 150

Special Stage 4 (This one might be changed.)
Rings needed: 800
Time limit: 300

Special Stage 5
Rings needed: 700
Time limit: 400

Special Stage 6
Rings needed: 650
Time limit: 200

Special Stage 7 (Took me a few tries to get this one done, honest.)
Rings needed: 999
Time limit: 480

Warning: Special Stage 7 have GOAL blocks, do not touch them or pass them, doing so and you fail the stage. Before you ask, yes, its those Black & white checker textures FOF's.

Link
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=852580810e280d498883682b198ada82

Perhaps the biggest post I've made...

Well, I haven't tried them, but they don't look too shabby, and I've never seen goal sectors in Special Stages before (but I imagine it can be done by simply tagging a sector with the Death Pit tag), and there have been almost no special stage WADs done before. Looks good. :)

SonicX8000 said:
Lightdash just owned you man. These stages are very impressive though great work.

Edit: FFH sux dude. use sendspace or something like that. Not everyone can D/l from FFH

Chaos Knux said:
SonicX8000 said:
Lightdash just owned you man. These stages are very impressive though great work.

Edit: FFH sux dude. use sendspace or something like that. Not everyone can D/l from FFH
lightdasher.wad ftw *shot*

Alright, two main problems:

Firstly, the goals. Making the player collect 999 rings, no matter how long the timelimit, is incredibly unrealistic. Wouldn't you get bored during all of that? Some of the challenge of special stages is collecting a reasonable amountof rings in a short amount of time, although it shouldn't be impossible if you're going through a bit lazily. Although honestly, is it even possible to finish some stages?

And secondly, you're just plain making the special stages wrong. Sometimes it seems like the entire point of the map is to find the patch of about 300 rings. Special stages should have rings dispersed evenly across them. The challenge comes in actually trying to collect the rings as opposed to thoking randomly. Hazards are good sometimes too, but basing the entire map around them is a generally bad idea.

Gah. I didn't play them all, but I played enough to know what's wrong.

1) Don't go for epic. Go for well made.
2) BLAND. This is a side-affect of making it huge.
3) Unoriginal themes. Well, it's a special stage, but STILL...
4) Don't make the player collect all the rings in the stage. It's unfair, even with lightdash. Try 60% or the total rings.
5) WAY to many rings needed.
6) Don't design for light dash or water run. I have a feeling you love SA2SV3 so much you forgot that 70% or us use Sonic.
7) The second special stage is unbeatable.

on Edge said:
7) The second special stage is unbeatable.

Errr...

Rings : 499/500 (I'm near 1.)
Time left : 43
Level : 2

Also note I didn't use startrings in there., and this was all done by Sonic.

Not sure if its possable, but any chance of setting the times differently as from Hard, Normal, and Easy? Like for Easy you can start with +100 more seconds, and in Normal you can start with +50 more seconds, and in Hard you won't able to start with any more seconds, can that even be done or something?

I'll try and make changes.

on Edge said:
6) Don't design for light dash or water run. I have a feeling you love SA2SV3 so much you forgot that 70% or us use Sonic.

... I mostly use Sonic, I don't need to test this with other characters besides Tails and Knux. Plus, what is SA2SV3?

I'll be getting rid of #4 due to light dash.

HMS + JTE =

2nd stage: 496/500
3rd: 224/250
4th: 999/800
5th: 643/700
6th: 653/650
7th: 147/999

If I can't do it with HMS, there is _NO WAY_ I can do it with Sonic. The last stage was especially cheep and yucky. I shouldn't have to spend 8 minutes hunting for a thousand rings, much less with insta-fail FOFs fencing me in.

light dasher said:
Chaos Knux said:
SonicX8000 said:

lightdasher.wad ftw *shot*

No Offense, but this definetely needs a revamp :/. Also there's too many rings on your stages. Try to have a limit on how many rings you put on on some of the stages that you make.

Erm, guys, "This level fails" isn't constructive. I think that SX8 would get way more help by saying something like "I appreciatethe idea, but I keep falling in the muck on the sides and I can't get out."

BlueZero4 said:
Erm, guys, "This level fails" isn't constructive. I think that SX8 would get way more help by saying something like "I appreciatethe idea, but I keep falling in the muck on the sides and I can't get out."

Haven't you seen the pic of the giant stage of rings in the air BZ?, no offense, but it looks pretty bad. I wasn't trying to make that negative (ok maybe I could change some of it) It was meant to be constructive :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back