Official Level Design Contest: July/August Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
shadowstar said:
Yes, I sent it by email.
Hmm...aha! It appears there was a screwup somewhere because it didn't have an attachment as it was a link.

Sorry about that. It's now the first submission for next month. I'm going to change the submission policy for next month, because this isn't the only difficulty I had trying to find all the files.

MAP01 - Greenery Hills 2 - JJames19119 - 6/10
Well, this was certainly an okay map. But I felt crowded due to the small landmass size, and the huge pit of death occupied most of what is a relatively small map. I never noticed any problem with the weapon ring layout, but it is not a good thing to have all five on the same map. It's decent.

MAP02 - Cynicism - RedFox34 - N/A
Okay, well to be honest, this is my first map (ever) and I basically went back and redid it, since nobody had ever played it before and it had not been released (it was under the name Hue at the time). I think I did a decent job on it, I realize it's small, but I hardly ever play match games, and so if I make another match map it won't be until I get DSL. I appreciate the positive comments though.

MAP03 - Insanity Planet - SRB2-Playah - 3/10
This map disappointed me to say the least. Some cool concepts but ultimately flawed presentation and horrible balance. There were hardly any rings on the map that I could tell and I basically ended up trying to stay in the shuttle so I wouldn't drown.

MAP04 - Amphitheatre - Oogaland - 4/10
An interesting concept, but it doesn't play so well, at least in my opinion. I personally think that a sniper's paradise kind of level doesn't work well in SRB2, due the fast moving characters. I also despise levels where I have to hop up sets of stairs and slow down to get the rings, which are far spread apart. But it's much more polished than the majority of the other maps.

MAP05 - Peach's Castle - Chaos Zero 64 - 3/10
Not much to say about this one: The level looks awesome, but the balance is bad and the NiGHTS is terribly noobish, though I give you props for getting it to work in the first place.

MAP06 - Diving Meadows - Sonicandtails218 - 2/10
Ugh. I do not like this level AT ALL. The Special Stage textures are horrible on any level, and this one seems an ugly hodge-podge of those, the XMAS textures, and metal. The level is so big that it's impossible to find anyone, and it's just generally bad design. The top FOF is a good example of this, with boxes and and an Auto ring haphazardly scattered around.

MAP07 - Up and Down - Sonicandtails218 - 3/10
Well, not much to say. Tons of rings, but the ones on the top level were too high to reach for the player without jumping, and generally nobody killed each other and just ended up falling in pits.

MAP08 - Koth - Hotdog003 & Spazz - 1/10
Look at other people's comments about this map, mine are the same. It plays horribly.

---
Wed - Arf - 3/10
Narrow passages, cramped spaces, starpost glitches, extremely dark impossible maze=no fun. I applaud you for the size, though.

Dark Palisades Zone - Tets - 6/10
I was not that impressed by this level, actually. The music was very annoying, and the design was okay, but there were lots of open spaces and dead ends. The scenery was absolutely fantastic though. Points for that.

Aerial Factory Zone - Sonicandtails218 - 4/10
Annoying, cliff based level. The beginning part annoyed me, as I had absolutely no control whatsoever. The laser part was a nice touch but the level felt sloppy and the death pit at the end was cheap.

Storm Ruins Zone - FuriousFox - 6/10
The level was okay. It felt rushed to me (which it was) and the textures were pretty bland. The air boxes were unique, but they weren't that great, or useful. I'm not going to lie and say that the boxes were great just because you know SOC editing. I felt the level was average, but props for getting the first water level out. Just polish it some, add some things here and there, and you'll have a winner.

I'll be working on my own water level...(evil laughter, crickets as everyone leaves)

Wow, there's, like, not a single score above 6 there.

Not to pressure you into changing your mind, of course - your opinion is your opinion - but wow, man, not a single 7 or above...

Great, now it dropped from 6 to 3. I keep hitting myself for those extra monitors. And curse you all for not liking supersonic in there.

Look at some of the others' votes: it simply was not an exceptional contest. I'm not going to give false praise to something I didn't like much in the first place.

Plus, you have to account for the fact that if they vote, their lowest vote is discounted.

The match contest was rather below average, but personally I really liked the single player contest this month. To each his own, I guess.

Mystic said:
The match contest was rather below average, but personally I really liked the single player contest this month. To each his own, I guess.

Take into account that there were a few maps that did well. Amphitheatre was good, and Diving Meadows was a fan favorite of people who like big or verticle maps. And apparently, my map was good too, if I count the scores. Cynicism was somewhat average. The rest...they sorta...feel short. ^^;; A hint guys: This is a match contest, build your map based on how well it plays, not on how good it looks or how well the concept seems. *CoughPeach'sCastleCoughInsanityPlanetCoughUpAndDownCoughKOTHCough*

*Dies from breath shortage*

How about "YOU SUCK, DO BETTER"? :[

Oh, and I wanna see AJ vote. Let's pester him.

Yes, I want to see AJ vote too. Being the almighty god of SRB2. (Or something like that, I dunno)

EDIT: Well I think it's almost done, for those who want a hint at who wins, it was a close race between Greenery Hills 2, Amphitheatre and Diving Meadows.

Multi-Player Maps

MAP01 - Greenery Hills 2 - 7/10

Fun. The pillary-bit could have been better, as has been remarked several times before. I like playing around the edge of a map, as is required here.

MAP02 - Cynicism - 6/10

I'm rather fond of small maps. Rail was wrong for this map, though; auto instead might have elicited a couple of extra marks from me.

MAP03 - Insanity Planet - 5/10

Novel, but the poor frame rate I got dampened things a little. I think making it a little smaller and being more liberal with rings would have improved this map, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

MAP04 - Amphitheatre - N/A

It worked better in my head. :P

MAP05 - Peach's Castle - 5/10

Visually pleasing, but lacking in floor-space. Good use of vertical space.

MAP06 - Diving Meadows - 4/10

A nice idea, but I think it could have worked better. I don't share the popular aversion to the SS textures; rather, my qualm was that I had trouble finding people to shoot at.

MAP07 - Up and Down - 5/10

A promising floor layout, I feel. A more even distribution of rings might have helped things a little.

MAP08 - KOTH - 6/10

I liked this map. Giving a ridiculous advantage to someone who's just died (so, normally me) is an ingenious twist. A slightly more complex layout would've merited further marks.

Single-Player Maps

Wed - 4/10

Lots of original ideas, but a little incoherent. The narrow paths also detracted somewhat from my enjoyment.

Dark Palisades Zone - 7/10

Full marks in aesthetics. Custom music is always welcome (divergences in taste notwithstanding). My one quibble is that the player isn't always guided in the correct direction. I lost count of the number of times I went backwards.

Aerial Factory Zone - 4/10

I was never quite sure where I was when playing this level. However, the falling-floors bit was meritorious. Lacking visual polish, but not bad.

Storm Ruins Zone - 8/10

This level directs the player in the way that the others didn't. I can't find anything in particular to fault this map on, but neither can I quite justify a nine or a ten. Quite what's missing I don't know; sorry.

[Looks at watch.] Phew: I made it in time this month.

If it were over-appreciated, I would have played more than 4 CTF games in the past. Keep in mind that I joined a year ago.

JJames19119 said:
A CTF contest would be great. Such an unappearciated mode. :\
Unfortunately, CTF is rather unstable in 1.08. It may be considered after 1.09 comes out.

Results:

MAP01 - Greenery Hills 2 - JJames19119: 776767667 = 6.63 (6 dropped)
MAP02 - Cynicism - RedFox34: 645876556 = 6 (4 dropped)
MAP03 - Insanity Planet - SRB2-Playah: 477546335 = 5.12 (3 dropped)
MAP04 - Amphitheatre - Oogaland: 786766644 = 6.25 (4 dropped)
MAP05 - Peach's Castle - Chaos Zero 64: 6686233335 = 4.5
MAP06 - Diving Meadows - Sonicandtails218: 6X98444624 = 5.7
MAP07 - Up and Down - Sonicandtails218: 3877242335 = 4.4
MAP08 - Koth - Hotdog003 & Spazz: 414713116 = 3.38 (1 dropped)

Wed - Arf: 6528332334 = 4.11 (2 dropped)
Dark Palisades Zone - Tets: X9897X8767 = 8.33 (6 dropped)
Aerial Factory Zone - Sonicandtails218: 57756644344 = 5
Storm Ruins Zone - FuriousFox: 7788X87768 = 7.78 (6 dropped)

The winners are:
Match contest - Greenery Hills 2 by JJames19119
Single Player contest - Dark Palisades Zone by Tets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back