Ringslinger script not executing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoctor

For a certain map for my walls of the void, the ringslinger is to be useable, but when I try to make a script in the wad to activate it, it tells me that it cannot be executed.

Here is what the script says:
RINGSLINGER YES

And here is the level header:
level 1
levelname = babidi's ship
act = 0
scriptname = script
scriptslump = 1
nextlevel = 2

Well, I do not think you can activate a command using "Yes". Try using "on" or "1". That MIGHT do it.

Changing the yes to 1 or on wouldn't make a difference (just tested right now). It still says that the script couldn't be executed.

The script name may be case sensitive; lump names certainly are. Try making it all upper-case, or changing the name to something else. Additionally, the ringslinger command can't be used directly, you need to enable devmode first before it will work.

If that doesn't work, find a map with a script that runs from the level header and transplant the header and script lump from there to see if it works. If it does, just start swapping parts of it out with your script setup until it breaks to find out what's keeping your script from working.

Last edited:
I had just changed it all to capitals and added an extra line saying "runsoc kiblast", abd I seem to have stepped up into getting this to work, but now I have a new problem. This time when entering the map, it said, oddly, that ringslinger is an unrecognized command (spelling is correct).

Here's an example of what you need to do. I made a test WAD and tested it, and it works perfectly. If you need the test WAD, just ask and I'll provide a link.

This is the lump called SCRIPT.
Code:
devmode; ringslinger 1; devmode
And this is the level header.
Code:
LEVEL 1
LEVELNAME = BABIDI'S SHIP
ACT = 0
SCRIPTNAME = SCRIPT
SCRIPTISLUMP = 1
NEXTLEVEL = 2
I also noticed that you misspelled ScriptIsLump as ScriptSLump, so that might have to have something to do with it (unless if you already corrected it).

Last edited:
That seems to have done the trick. I think it was the devmode that was needed in the script/lump. Thanks!

EDIT: since this is still a active topic, I'd like to also ask this question. How can I change a certain sound only for a certain thing? In this case I mean the ringslinger, so that it could have a custom sound and yet not override the thok sound?

Last edited:
EDIT: since this is still a active topic, I'd like to also ask this question. How can I change a certain sound only for a certain thing? In this case I mean the ringslinger, so that it could have a custom sound and yet not override the thok sound?
I don't believe that's possible.

I actually wanted to know as well a while back but sadly, I could not find any answers or try to perform this with a soc. It's not possible (I don't think). Yet.

I'd like to also ask this question. How can I change a certain sound only for a certain thing? In this case I mean the ringslinger, so that it could have a custom sound and yet not override the thok sound?

You can in fact replace the sound of a thrown ring without overriding the thok sound in general. Also, specific types of thrown rings have other sounds (like scatter or rail).

Look in this page in the wiki for the (thrown) weapon objects, and then use the SOCEditor to find out which property of the objects to change in order to replace the sound.

Look in this page in the wiki for the (thrown) weapon objects, and then use the SOCEditor to find out which property of the objects to change in order to replace the sound.
Actually, unless he's using a fixed info.c, SOCEdit will crash when it attempts to view any of the thrown weapon rings besides the redring itself, so as an alternative he could just write it out himself; just the infotable header (thing number) and a line changing seesound underneath it (seesound number) with an empty line at the end will do the job. For reference, the weapon ring thing numbers are as follows:

207 red ring
220 thrown bounce
221 thrown automatic
222 thrown scatter
223 thrown explosion
224 thrown grenade

Well, shoot. :\

I confess that I looked up this information by searching the source code, instead of following the steps I mentioned. And yes, I knew about the seesound.

It's just that I was hoping TheDoctor would realize what to do by themself* using more accessible means like the SOCEditor and wiki. I forgot about that stupid bug.

It seems the old adage of "teach a man how to fish" failed completely here...

*Please excuse the gender neutral pronoun.

Well actually SOCEdit managed to work for me, I had just replaced the deathstate sound of the red ring which was originally dsitemup, and have now replaced it to be dspop. Now, when I get home, I will try to learn to do freeslot sounds to replace the thok in the redring object. (I already have the sound that I want to replace it with, I just need to learn how to make it dsfre001 to be a freeslot) but I have tested the ringslinger with the modified death sound and it works, I guess I have an updated socedit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back