Forum Rules Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

The forum rules have changed. Specifically, here is what was modified:

3. No spam. Create topics about the ruler of pie and your website somewhere else. Do not post useless lines, such as "ok", "lol", etc., as they clutter up the forum and don't add anything to the discussion. Placing links to your website in your signature IS acceptable, however. Forum games will also be considered spam.

Forum games are now considered under rule 3. Don't post them.

8. Don't bump topics pointlessly. If a topic is more than three weeks old, ask yourself whether your post adds to the conversation or you have a good reason to post in the old topic. The following are _NOT_ good reasons:
  • Asking the author to reupload a file with a broken link.
  • Frivolous statements like "This is cool."
Likewise, do not complain if someone bumps a topic. The administrators are fully capable of moderating the forums without your help.

Okay, people have been complaining a lot about this, and on a few accords, they're absolutely right, so here is the much-requested anti-bumping rule. I'd like to directly note that if you complain about someone bumping a topic, you will be tempbanned as WELL as the person who bumped it. Just a simple bump isn't a problem until people complain about it, bumping it AGAIN. Don't do it.

Oh geeze. Something tells me that more people are going to get banned now (Hopefully n00bs), seeing as n00bs don't give a damn about the forum rules.

Wow, look at the destruction that noobs have caused this forum, if they keep up this forum will keep getting stricter and stricter until its impossible to not get banned......

Sonow Hakura said:
Wow, look at the destruction that noobs have caused this forum, if they keep up this forum will keep getting stricter and stricter until its impossible to not get banned......
Rule 1782: No registering for the forums, if you register an account you will be banned on the spot.

I'll Begin said:
Sonow Hakura said:
Rule 1782: No registering for the forums, if you register an account you will be banned on the spot.
Haha, I could actually see that happening at the rate that this is going. But seriously Mystic, this needs to stop, this place doesn't need any more rules, trust me, you'll overrule the place and no one will want to join it anymore. I've seen it happen before, ever heard of Chao Civic? I bet you haven't, it used to be the #1 Sonic Forum, but it got too strict and less and less people started coming, then it just died...... Stop now before it gets out of hand. If there is anything I don't want to see happen to a forum, its that. I'd rather have a couple noobs here than see this place have a strict set of rules....

Personally I don't see us as being that strict. All we ask is that people type properly and use common sense. Honestly, we shouldn't even HAVE to ask people for that, they should just know it. However, apparently people can't figure it out on their own, so we have to do something about it.

Look, this forum's objective is to talk about SRB2. It's not to post a stupid game on the forums, and it's not to bump ridiculously old topics.

I don't like adding rules for things that should be damn common sense, but I'm required to. See, if I don't, people will complain when I ban them with "But you didn't SAY I couldn't post 3 pages consisting entirely of the word "penis", so why did you ban me?" By spelling out the rules clearly, there is simply NO excuse for people breaking them.

Let's put it this way: I don't want to administrate a forum I don't even read. Back before the rules tightening, I didn't even READ the forum. Now I do. If it takes a few more rules to fix the problems on the forums, so be it.

My objective is not to make the "majority" happy or make this some kind of democracy. The SRB2 forums are and always will be a dictatorship. If I scare away a few users doing this, that's a small price to pay for the long-term benefit of keeping the forums intelligent.

Haha, I could actually see that happening at the rate that this is going. But seriously Mystic, this needs to stop, this place doesn't need any more rules, trust me, you'll overrule the place and no one will want to join it anymore.

He's got it! More rules, posthaste!
Although to stay on topic, I haven't visited a single topic recently where my eyes haven't bled. These rules are supposed to keep idiotic users out, so that we can half-way intelligently discuss SRB2. This place isn't supposed to be troll heaven.

EDIT: Better yet. New rule.

All of those who disagree with these rules are free to go to gamespot, and join the rest of the horde.

Well, crazy, we're trying. I'm personally responsible for 28 tempbans and 1 permban in the past week. We are indeed weeding out the idiots. It's just taking a while, because termites aren't THAT easy to kill off.

I wasn't saying that this place is already out of control, I was saying that predicting how this is already going that this could end up like many sites I've seen before that have been overruled which caused people to leave. Yes, the common sense rules should be in place, but I am suggesting that it doesn't go any farther than that.

Mystic said:
Well, crazy, we're trying. I'm personally responsible for 28 tempbans and 1 permban in the past week. We are indeed weeding out the idiots. It's just taking a while, because termites aren't THAT easy to kill off.

You must be doing pest control or something simular.

And it seems to be slightly working, but seriously, why are so many topics being locked? Some of them were still being used and they weren't pointless...

Like what? We lock topics for various reasons, and honestly, it doesn't have to break a _rule_ to be locked. Forum games are annoying as an administrator because they're painful to moderate, so I locked them. Several topics were degenerating badly so I locked them BEFORE they became rules violations. It's my job to maintain the forums. That means dealing with stuff BEFORE it becomes a problem.

A suggestion to stop rules from becoming strict, and encourging a nicer community.

Make a forum games section. Make it allow any random old content, so people can post "OH WOW I JUST DONE [insertsomethinghere]"

A question: If a topic bump is worthwhile, should it be allowed? By worthwhile, I mean a great contribution to the topic.

We are not adding a spam forum. If you wanna act like an idiot, find another forum with a spam forum and go to town. This isn't going to be that forum.

Mystic said:
Like what? We lock topics for various reasons, and honestly, it doesn't have to break a _rule_ to be locked. Forum games are annoying as an administrator because they're painful to moderate, so I locked them. Several topics were degenerating badly so I locked them BEFORE they became rules violations. It's my job to maintain the forums. That means dealing with stuff BEFORE it becomes a problem.
So far I've only seen one forum game topic, i wasn't talking about those, i was talking about topics like Fan Characters which I can now understand why it was locked since there was a dispute in there....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back