Official Level Design Contest: May/June Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, first, the SP stages:

Egg Palace- Some Guy 10/10

Incredible detail and meticulous layout. I had no real trouble as Sonic beating this, actually.Those pits weren't so hard to avoid, and the traps were a minor annoyance, yet the map kept me challeged throughout. Overall, this is the first SP stage I've ever played that took me fifteen minutes on the first try.

Cold Metal Caves- SRB2-Playah 9/10

Very well done map. It has many excellent ideas, and the rooms look cool. The colormaps and textures really make this one of the most atmospheric levels out there. My only concerns is the lack of enemies and rings in the huge hallways.

Castle Wolfenstein- Shadow Hog 7/10

Is it just me, or are you trying the ID approach to things? I actually had a lot of fun in this stage. Well done on the custom Germans, but it IS rather flat. Enemies, enemies, and lots of popping Uber Soldats makes up for the bland design, however.

Gloom Metropolis2- Furious Fox 5/10

Okay, in the terms of gameplay, but, as has been said before, it is kind of boring. The enemies are just random, it seems, and it just doesn't rank up to what the first did.

Jungle Island- Roboashura 3/10

This level has no way to die! Please, Roboashura, think of all the poor digital masochists out there! On the other hand, any Sonic Adventure 1 fans out there should be having some nostalgic moments here, hehe.

I am crapping myself right now. A 10 on April Showers!?! Wow!

I'll vote later.

Now for the match stages, I'm going to rush through these explanations because I'm tired and so is my friend/opponent. The ratings are not rushed, thank you.

SMBZ 8/10
Well done, but somewhat boring in the empty areas.

FRZ 2/10
Sorry, but it's small cramped and ring boxes suck.

ASZ 9/10
Very fun, but I had trouble getting around due to the layout, otherwise, perfect.

MFZ 7/10
Not that bad, but it is repetitive and doesn't seem to have tons of effort put into it.

PRZ 7/10
Small and bland, but there's enough vertical areas to bring you a seven.

ANZ 10/10
Fun! The level is well thought-out and I had lots of opportunities to murder my cousin when we went split-screen.

EGZ 10/10
Big, awesome, and fun with two person tag. (Hide-and-seek, anyone?)

FLZ 7/10
Pretty fun, but it is around the sort of fun as the less interesting "official" stages such as Meadow Match.

CBZ 8/10
Somewhat small, but the layout is good enough. Try facing the conveyors away from the special rings, next time.

GEZ 6/10
Small, mirrored, not much fun. However, if you jump of the high cliffs on either side, and hit the ring box in the middle, you can do a "Sonic Warp" (Shameless Plug) by going from one end to the other in les than a second.

NSZ 10/10
I have no problem with giving this excellent map a perfect score. It made me all warm and tingly inside when I picked off my cousin from the high ledge with the infinity ring. Bad for one player, good for me.

CSZ 6/10
More ID-ness! Basically a retextured port of the seventh map in DoomII, so no points for originality, but it is fun for a little while.

That's all the maps for this month, with THREE perfect scores, one nine, two eights, three sevens, two sixes, and one one score under five, a two. Way past cool, people!

Blue Blur said:
Now for the match stages, I'm going to rush through these explanations because I'm tired and so is my friend/opponent. The ratings are not rushed, thank you.

ASZ 9/10
Very fun, but I had trouble getting around due to the layout, otherwise, perfect.

MFZ 7/10
Not that bad, but it is repetitive and doesn't seem to have tons of effort put into it.

PRZ 7/10
Small and bland, but there's enough vertical areas to bring you a seven.

ANZ 10/10
Fun! The level is well thought-out and I had lots of opportunities to murder my cousin when we went split-screen.

*drops a load*

Here we are!

MAP01 : This map looks nice and has a good, size to it, but it lags to Hell and back. There's a lot of lag even playing alone, though. There's also a lot of graphical glitches in the unground areas. 6.

MAP02 : Waaay too small! I wouldn't even think of playing this as Sonic. Too many boxes, too little space. 3.

MAP03 : MINE!

MAP04 : MINE!

MAP05 : MINE!

MAP06 : My personal favorite, but still MINE!

MAP07 : This map is quite big, which makes it hard to find people in 2-4 player netgames, which I (and a lot of other people) do a lot. The water is a problem, too. But,it's nice and big, so it's fun in larger netgames. 7.

MAP08 : This level is way too garden variety. It has too much space that's just grass and flowers. 5.

MAP09 : This map is nice, but a bit too small. It's fun in netgames, but it needs a little more space. 7.

MAP10 : I like how the level is symetrical, and it's design is lovely. 8.

MAP11 : This....this is a little creepy, considering Digi and myself have the same EXACT level theme, a desert level at night. This level is kinda bland, even though it has a lot of vert. The rocks are simply pointless, they don't have any function besides hiding. This level is OK. Just OK. 6.

MAP12 : This level is exactly what it's called. Dead Simple. It's fun in netgames with any amount of people. The textures use chose were a bit odd, though. 7.

And there you have it. I'll have SP levels later.

Sorry for the double posts, but here's what I have so far :

SMB 6 6 8 8 6
FR 3 5 3 2 3
AS 8 7 10 9
MF 5 5 7 7
PR 6 5 7 7
AN 8 8 9 10
EG 5 9 10 7
FL 6 6 7 5
CB 7 6 8 7
GE 4 7 6 8
NS 10 5 10 6
DS 7 6 6 7

I might have some of them mixed up. If so, sorry. :oops:

Current Scores for the match levels:
currentcontestscores2mt.gif

Here are the current single player results so far (plus my ratings)
Make sure to note that all of the scores are rounded to the nearest one.

Cold Metal Caves Zone
6 5 7 8 9 8
AVERAGE: 7
Its was a fun map, and was very neat. Good work!

Jungle Island Zone
1 1 4 5 3 4
AVERAGE: 3
Poor Robo. Good for a start, but it needs to be more intresting

Egg Palace Zone
10 9 7 2 10 9
AVERAGE: 8
Great map! It might of been confusing at parts, but it certainly was intresting!

Castle Wolfenstein Zone
3 5 9 7 7 6
AVERAGE: 6
Now i've never played Castle Wolfenstien, but regardless, the wad was...unique in that mannar.

Gloom Metropolis Zone Act 2
5 5 7 7 5 6
AVERAGE: 6.5
FF, i've seen your work, and It could of been a bit better.

I don't mean to go off topic, but...

SCR_CASTLEWOLFENSTEIN.WAD - What SRB2 feature did you use to make the doors open/close automatically? This isn't functioning in 1.09...

SCR_COLDMETALCAVES.WAD - 1.09 won't even load this map. Do you use anything special/fancy in it?

SSNTails said:
SCR_COLDMETALCAVES.WAD - 1.09 won't even load this map. Do you use anything special/fancy in it?
Well, depends on what you mean by special/fancy...

2 Conveyer belts on one platform zooming outward...
Falling icicles triggered by Linedef Execs. (Trigger (Once) and Move floor/ceiling by front sector)...
Floating platforms that move together (Ex. Turret room crushers, Metal Platforms floating on a stream of slime, etc.)
Ring Draining water...

If you want, you can root around in it with WadAuthor or DoomBuilder.

SSNTails said:
SCR_CASTLEWOLFENSTEIN.WAD - What SRB2 feature did you use to make the doors open/close automatically? This isn't functioning in 1.09...
Sector tags: 974 - Trigger Linedef Executor (Anywhere in Sector)
Linedef tags: 96 - Trigger Linedef Executor Continuously, 107 - Linedef Executor: Move Sector Ceiling

CMCZ - Wow. This is one of the best single player levels I have played in my life. Kooky gimmicks, traps, a creative theme, THIS is what Sonic the Hedgehog is all about. 10/10

JIZ(hehe) - This level isn't that good. The hallways are too narrow. There was a point were I actually had to noclip it to get through. No enemies at all, too. 1/10

EPz - Jeez, this is huge! This looks great, but doesn't play as well. There are too many of those God damn holes in the ground. 7/10

CWZ - I got so many good memories of this one, from Doom 2 to the actual game. I wish you did something better with the ceiling and the floor. 8/10

GMZA2 - This level is too boring, a real change from the last. Has no creativity what so ever. 5/10

Come on, People! Keep the reviews coming!

What? You don't have enough tens on your levels?

Just kidding. :) Actually, we had a good voter turnout this time around if you compare it to some other contests. Don't quote me on it though.

I've still got to vote, but I can't say as I can get into too many games where I can actually check out multiplayer; I may have to stick just to SP.

Map 01: Super Mario Battle 9/10
nice level but very cool :wink:

Map 02: Floating Rock Zone 5/10
looks very good 8)

Map 03: April Showers 9/10
not so bad but it's ok

Map 04: May Flowers 7/10
looks so great that it's good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back