Fixed Strafing while spinning increases your speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubat

GFZ (WIP) theme enthusiast
Forwards and backwards helps in extending a spindash, but it always slows and stops after a short time. Strafing, on the other hand, slowly builds up speed. I've only tested this in srb2win.exe while playing as Sonic.

I originally found this in Thokker mode. It works there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has worked for a long time now, so it could be intentional, but I'm not sure tbh.

I discovered this a while ago, and it's hilarious. Please keep it in.

BeautifulUnsightlyArrowana.gif

This thing has been here for a long time now, funny you only noticed it now.
ImpureYellowGuineafowl.gif

But hey, who doesn't looooove doing that?

Wow. Please keep this in 2.1 its actually brilliant. Maybe remove it in 2.2

Yeah, this has been around forever (at least since Final Demo). I'm pretty sure I was told before that it can't be fixed without breaking a bunch of other stuff.

Doing this near certain walls causes...interesting effects to say the least.

SpryAlarmingGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel.gif

Last edited:
It's entirely different causes. That GIF is wallboosting, which is due to something funky about the sliding functions work, while the report in question is because of the way movement while spinning is handled.

(It's also totally fixable. Shame on whoever said it wasn't.)

It should be fixed, but as you can tell by how long it's been around, it's a pretty low priority fix since it isn't particularly abusive and you have to do it on purpose.

Man, I sure as hell hope this doesn't get 'fixed', it's the only fun thing left to do whenever waiting for someone online to finish ERZ2. Not to mention it's fun in general...

EDIT: While I was typing, neat. One more fun thing removed. 'Grats devs.

EDIT 2:Ooh, well that's better, Monster Iestyn, hope he really was.

Last edited:
You misread what Mystic said, he was actually saying "it ought to be fixed" rather than "it IS fixed". =P

Not that you should be grouchy about it even if we do fix it. Just like the old wallslide bug (which allowed any character including Robo-Hood to shoot up to MAXMOVE, and higher during 2.1 development), just because it's fun and hilarious doesn't mean it's protected from being fixed.

Last edited:
http://puu.sh/orLLK/4baf006c3f.wad

Here's an example wad for testing all these wall oddities.

This map spans the entire area a map can be at. Expect graphical oddities on the perimeter walls as the renderer tries to cope with a 65535x65535 box. Also, you can pass through these walls and loop to the other side.

There is also a tall structure in the middle. It has two cracks you can jam your character into for amazing momentum values. This is best done with Tails, hence the name of the wad.

There is also, beside it, a structure taken from GFZ1 that reproduces the wall riding bug, as well as three more walls that also show off what other bugs can happen at this magic angle.

The wall marked 1 will, for some reason, bounce the player back if you approach it from a shallow angle. This could be because the wall is very long. The wall marked 3 has a shortened version of 1. It expresses the original wall riding physics, to an extreme. It is 1/4 the distance of wall 1. Wall 2 is the same as wall 3, but put together back-to-back four times over. This wall also allows the wall riding bug.

This isn't new. The mechanic has worked since... Well, in NY experience, 1.08, which was probably about a decade ago already!

It all comes down to the physics. This may be connected to how there's a property of additional speed to jumping in Doom. Momentum carries better in strafes than normal forward and backward.

I assume it ties into how the movement works. Have you ever stood in one open area and just started alternating all the WASD keys to make Sonic kinda run in a circle? There seems to be a kick of speed when moving into strafes. This, combined with a specific angle that the spindash goes for, means that speed has no reason to stop flowing, and thus, continues to increase your speed.

It has speed run utility, but as there's a far bigger pool of maps compared to the days of 1.08, it requires someone to be really experimental, like with crawla-bouncing.

π

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back