Modern Meadow Zone v0.0.5 (mt_modernmeadow-va5.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbop800

BboP
Hello everyone, this is my first fully-completed map (well, aside from the version number) in SRB2. It's a fairly simple map that includes a Tails/Knuckles only location. (Unless if Sonic has a whirlwind shield)

I highly recommend this level for simple 1 vs. 1 to 2 vs. 2 fights, since the map is really small. (And symmetrical, eh.)

Constructive criticism and some advice would be highly appreciated.

New things in this version:

- I actually finished 0.0.5 a while ago, but never bothered to upload it. The only thing I can remember doing here is changing the textures up a bit, so there you go. :P

Enjoy!

MIRROR: http://www.4shared.com/file/J9GId66q/mt_modernmeadow-va5.html?

Note: Textures are a bit different from what the screenshots show.

Attachments

• srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 766
  • srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    205 KB · Views: 765
  • srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 677
  • srb20004.png
    srb20004.png
    183 KB · Views: 647
  • srb20003.png
    srb20003.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 628
  • srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    245 KB · Views: 603
  • srb20006.png
    srb20006.png
    223.9 KB · Views: 614
  • mt_modernmeadow-va5.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,024
Last edited:
Your first level ! I was sure you build one day.

Ok, I'll be honest and say my comments.
It is a correct level. I can fight players in this arena.
In your case ... the SRB2 Wiki may be helpful but not mandatory. There are some potential.
Here are my remarks :

POSITIVE
An arena built rather strategically.

NEGATIVE
Texture glitches
Argh ! Placement of items ! It's very shocking.

Well, now, in detail.

Sectors : This is an arena that you have well built. There's gameplay. Maybe some slight worries height : Even if there is a wind shield, do not have access to the cellar at the top (where there is a force shield ==> Blue) is a bad thing. Sonic must be accessible without shields.

Worries of textures : Be careful when mixing old style (Green Hill) and New Generation! (Greenflower), these are textures that have little in common. A mixture of brown / orange, it looks ... um ... yuck.

The placement of objects ... hah. Here is a screen for you to confirm what I say.
No, I did not set the respawn to 1.

This is caused simply by too large quantities of weapons.

My advice to solve :
The great Wiki http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Design_101:_Match_and_Capture_the_Flag#Weapons
My personal advice if you do not like to read :
- The powerful items (Rail / Explosive) must be placed in areas of difficult access. Less powerful (Automatic / Bounce), in areas easier.

- You have to greatly reduce the amount of item : especially when you put lots of 5 items !

Ah, I had no idea there was a weapons tutorial, the only real tutorial I've fully read was the SRB2 Doom Builder Tutorial. I just did the weapon placement on my own, which was a huge mistake. Those level design tutorials look very helpful, so I'll check those out. Thanks for that.

Worries of textures : Be careful when mixing old style (Green Hill) and New Generation! (Greenflower), these are textures that have little in common. A mixture of brown / orange, it looks ... um ... yuck.

I don't really see the issue with it, no one ever uses the darker GFZ textures, and I personally think it fits quite nicely. So I'll be keeping that for now.

Even if there is a wind shield, do not have access to the cellar at the top (where there is a force shield ==> Blue) is a bad thing. Sonic must be accessible without shields.

Have you ever seen the Tails/Knuckles only locations in some of the official match maps? The cellar at the top was made just for that purpose, so it makes the match more even for Tails/Knuckles, especially since it's a small map and Sonic can get most of the item cards easily.

Texture glitches

Yeah, I actually had trouble with that. Even after using 3D mode and auto-aligning textures for the 100th time, some of them don't seem to align (especially the FOFs, which I can't change the texture alignment for at all). I'll try to figure something out for that.

The powerful items (Rail / Explosive) must be placed in areas of difficult access. Less powerful (Automatic / Bounce), in areas easier.

I was thinking about this, but most of time the rails and bombs are not purposely placed in harder locations in the official ones, I'll probably do this later on when it becomes unnecessary.

Today I'm gonna focus on removing unnecessary amounts of weapons and trying to fix the texture alignment. I'll also take a look at that "Level Design 101" tutorial.

Have you ever seen the Tails/Knuckles only locations in some of the official match maps? The cellar at the top was made just for that purpose, so it makes the match more even for Tails/Knuckles, especially since it's a small map and Sonic can get most of the item cards easily.
Indeed, there is no special arenas for Tails or Knuckles in official levels. And if the creators have done this, there's a reason.
I do not see why Tails or Knuckles should have an advantage. They can all be as powerful if they are properly controlled. There are players who choose them and which can be powerful with them. For example, a Sonic without Scatter or Rail has trouble hiting a fly Tails. And from above, Tails needs only send missiles while strafe (dodge) left or right.

Indeed, there is no special arenas for Tails or Knuckles in official levels. And if the creators have done this, there's a reason.

What about Desolate Twilight?

SRB2 Wiki said:
It also contains three platforms floating high up in the air which Sonic can't access by normal means.

And Thunder Citadel?

SRB2 Wiki again said:
K - High cliffsides: Only accessible by Tails and Knuckles, these cliffsides have some remnants of the castle on them, along with quite a lot of items.

Those are official levels and they have Tails/Knuckles areas.

Indeed, there is no special arenas for Tails or Knuckles in official levels.
All Match levels except Meadow Match have them. They balance out the characters.

I do not see why Tails or Knuckles should have an advantage. They can all be as powerful if they are properly controlled.
Yet, excessive playtesting showed that without these areas, Sonic is always slightly more powerful.

For example, a Sonic without Scatter or Rail has trouble hiting a fly Tails. And from above, Tails needs only send missiles while strafe (dodge) left or right.
Not really. A flying Tails is a sitting duck to a player with good aim.

Not really. A flying Tails is a sitting duck to a player with good aim.

Argh, I am bombarded !

About Tails, Wiki says it's an easy target, but honestly, if I do not have Rail, it's almost impossible for me. Especially if there is a player behind me who attacks me by surprise during my aim view.

Ok, Ok, well, you can keep your aerial arena, but does not abuse her, does not put too powerful weapons or others objects. The basic items / rings should be available for Sonic.
Speaking of rings, there are fairly well placed.

The good news is, I was able to fix this without any problem:

EDIT: Actually, it's not fixed, 3D mode hates texture viewing. So this makes texture alignment's priority to 0%, sorry about that. :s

lolwat.png

ahahahahahaha.png

blahblablablabla.png

The good news is, I have now updated the level to v0.0.2! Here's the new stuff:

- Better weapon placement

- Changed emerald locations so they're somewhat more separate

- Removed unnecessary weapon rings

- Switched the automatic and bomb cards and rings to even it out

Hopefully this release will be much better than the first one.

Last edited:
It's multiplayer, a match. He shouldn't be large. After, we say "I don't remember where are the weapons", or even in CTF : "I don't find my base" ...
Meadow Match is a really small level (I think it is the smallest Match), but much players love it.

The thing with my level is that it's small, but it doesn't have nearly as much space compared to Meadow Match. I guess that's what I get for making such a short ceiling height. >_<

Also, I just learned that symmetrical match maps don't work, arrgh.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit small for one of those "hang out and collect rings" levels.

Yes, Match is totally about hanging out and collecting rings, not at all about shooting other players with said rings and winning.

owait it's not

The thing with my level is that it's small, but it doesn't have nearly as much space compared to Meadow Match. I guess that's what I get for making such a short ceiling height. >_<

Also, I just learned that symmetrical match maps don't work, arrgh.

You know what? I actually love smaller maps, it allows you to hit a player and for them not to be able to run away and hide like chickens. Most of the maps I make are very small, and I port a lot of pre-2.0 match maps because they're simple and allow you to focus on the important task of shooting other players.

I just got an idea, I could completely expand the level by adding several tunnels to different rooms that are slightly larger (or smaller?) than this one. I could then change the weapon card and ring placement to even it out. For now, I'll just update this room alone and then, when I feel it's finished I'll release the whole thing and upgrade it to beta.

So yeah, that's the plan right there, now to get started on it... >_<

The map has now been upgraded to V0.0.3! Here are a few things that were added:

- changed a few weapon and ring placements

- added diagonal springs to prevent excessive platforming for Sonic and breaking the flow

- lowered one of the platform's heights next to the center platform so Sonic doesn't have to jump to his max height to reach it

EDIT: WHOOPS, DOUBLE POST.

:\

Ok, let's see it.
Well, it's slightly better, but there are still problems on the placement of items.
srb20038.png
I hope you understand me.

Hmm, never really looked into those. I'll try changing that up a bit.

EDIT: Updated to 0.0.4

- changed some weapon placements again
- greatly reduced rings
- changed ring placement
- switched the SRM first-time spawn to a force shield
- changed monitors in Tails/Knuckles location to an elemental shield
- added some additional decorations to make the level feel less dead

Edit 2: Updated mirror link to 4shared since MegaUpload is gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back