SRB2 File Mixing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boinciel

ヒトデのパンと不思議なジャム
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
So I was screwing around with some files, seeing if they would work with other SRB2 versions and such. I added the current srb2.srb file to Demo 4.35, expecting something like the previous versions. BAD AFALL TEXTURES or BAD SPRITE IN LUMP 2133 or things like that. I loaded the file (And music.dta. You need it for the levels to sound right in my opinion) and started the game.

I entered GFZ1, and, to my amazement, it works! The water is just the old water, and there are no breakable walls, but most of it was still intact! GFZ2? Couldn't get past the spring pattern, so I backtracked and took the upper route from the beginning. And here's what I found with the rest of the 1P levels.

GFZ Eggman: Newer sprites. When you hit him he looks a little odd. He has the charge attack, and he reverts to Old Eggman when you beat him. No Egg Capsule rises.
Techno Hill 1: The lag is painful. You can complete it, but it's not much fun with the jerkyness.
Techno Hill 2: *crash*
Techno Hill 3: No boss means no ending the level.
Castle Eggman 1: You get hit and die as soon as you enter, but by rapidly jumping and thokking, you can get to the next sector and finish the level. Actually, Sonic can't because of the spring patterns.
Castle Eggman 2: Same problem as Act 1, but use the aforementioned strategy you can get through.
Castle Eggman 3: No boss means no ending the level.
Red Volcano: Haven't tried.

Now I'll try Mystic Realm with the multithok Sonic, kthxbai. Oh, and some of the textures are wacky, but you'll manage.

Heh, you can get other wacky results with this. Try mixing other IWADs with other versions. Make sure you rename the new IWAD so it doesn't replace the first one or else you can't get the game to run at all.

EDIT: I decided that instead of downloading it from the site, to spare bandwidth, I'd host the folder on Sendspace.com. To reduce the size and download time, I took out 1.09.4's music.dta. Add it yourself!

WinRARed and everything.

Everything is there. Autoexec.cfg automatically adds SRB2Explore.wad (Renamed SRB2.srb from 1.09.4) and music.dat. Copy your own music.dat and put it in the folder.

Remnds me of an IWAD swap I did with Chex Quest. Not pretty. Worse, way worse than the above results.

And that's just with 4.35. You can't imagine the hilarity that ensued when I switched the IWADs of the 0.96 and 0.94 Christmas SRB2 demos. Sonic ran by flapping his arms, he was pursued by enemies that spontaneously exploded, and there was a water ambience near ANY vertical booster. Next, I'm going to try swapping some other IWADs and seeing what'll happen with the other levels!

Well, Imageshack doesn't support the .pcx filetype, so I'm including them all in a WinRAR archive. Enjoy!

Note the last one. Is that NiGHTS I found? I believe it is!

I specifically used Knuckles in most of the screenshots. In 4.35 he didn't have the current standing sprites, and he still had Sonic's life icon.

Oops, just realized I forgot to get Castle Eggman screenshots. Oh well, you still have the THZ Act 3 screenshots.

Boinciel said:

Try this out...

Make a new map with one sector, with the coordinates 0,0 in the middle of the square sector. Make the sector fairly big, about 5120x5120. Place a player start in it.

Name the level as MAP31... or maybe it's MAP29, or MAP30, or MAP32, I forget.. one of those.

Load this wad into Demo 4.35 and warp to it.

Try to move around and let me know what happens.

When I try to warp to the map after loading it...

W_CacheLumpNum: 10 >= numlumps

EDIT: If I try to get any map over 32, there's an error message. If I try to load maps 30, 31, or 32, the program exits and the message "Nice try, Spongebob Fancypants!" pops up.

EDIT EDIT: If I add another sector, the map functions perfectly. 100% stable. Check the first post for a download of the folder and such.

So did anything cool happen when you ran that map 29, 30, 31, or 32 in 4.35?

Not really. The map simply didn't do anything except function like a normal map. Maps 30-32 stopped the game and made it say "Nice try, Spongebob Fancypants!"

EDIT: Right now I'm rearranging the level numbers so some of the stages fit in under the 29 stage limit. Special stages in particular. I'll release the number change when I'm finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back