Help Linedef/Sector types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFireTheHedgeHo

The Uncontrollable Flame
Hello.
I looked at the wiki to answer the question I have but I couldn't find it.
so my question is:

How do you Forceskin characters in different parts of a level?

First of all, I'm pretty sure this belongs in the Editing Help section. To answer your question, I'm afraid you can't switch characters in the middle of a level, except in multiplayer, where you can use Linedef Type 415 to run a script that reads "skin (skin name here)". In Single Player, you can use Linedef Type 2 in conjunction with a fake teleporter in order to create a rather seamless transition between different levels with different ForceCharacter values. If the level that the fake teleporter transports you to has no level name, no act number, and no "Zone" extension, you can fool the player into thinking it's the exact same level, even though it's technically not.

Last edited:
So in short, there is no official way to just make a linedef and make it force or change skin? if not, I think for 2.1 they should update DB and put some more practical linedefs effects and sector types.

Yeah, there's no real way to do it in SP. Perhaps there will be some new linedef effects and whatnot in 2.1, but a skin changer probably won't be high on the devs' list, since people wouldn't really use it that much.

Instead of just using the skin command only, use something like this. It works.
Code:
devmode; skin tails; devmode
I use that alot in binds to switch characters in SP. Since the game gets modified anyways because of adding a level, it wouldn't really matter if it modifies the game or not when you use the linedef that executes the skin change script.

Since the game gets modified anyways because of adding a level, it wouldn't really matter if it modifies the game or not when you use the linedef that executes the skin change script.
Wrong. There are two ways of modifying the game. The first is "game is modified, secrets can be unlocked". If you add a WAD with its own gamedata, for example, this is how the game is modified. If you enter DEVMODE, it becomes "game is modified, secrets cannot be unlocked", which means that if you use the script and have a custom level pack or something loaded, you can't unlock stuff for it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back