[Open Assets] SRB2 Soundtrack Remade (OGG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clairebun

Community Noise Maker
Sonic Team Junior
EDIT 8/22/2023: I intend to eventually port this music pack to 2.2 for archival purposes, but in the meantime please refrain from submitting unofficial ports to the MB. That being said, content creators are welcome to use these tracks individually for their own creations.

This is a music pack containing remakes of many of the existing ingame oggs. Some of these tunes are just touchups with better instrumentation and some added flare, while others have been completely remade. These oggs are properly looppointed, optimized, and normalized for the best ingame listening experience at a reasonable filesize.

Samples:
Special Stage 1, Deep Sea 2, Super Sonic

Replacements
Code:
O_LCLEAR
O_MAP01M
O_MAP02M
O_MAP03M
O_MAP07M
O_MAP08M
O_MAP10M
O_MAP11M
O_MAP14M
O_MAP16M
O_MAP17M
O_MAP18M
O_MAP28M
O_MAP45M
O_MAP50M
O_MAP87M
O_MAP88M
O_MAP92M
O_MAPAZM
O_MAPB1M
O_MAPB3M
O_MAPB5M
O_MAPB8M
O_MAPB9M
O_RACENT
O_SHOES
O_SUPERS
O_XTLIFE

The following replacements are not new songs, but are normalized audio of existing tunes.
Code:
O_MAP22M
O_MAP23M
O_MAP24M
O_MAP25M
O_MAP26M (now has a proper looppoint)

Mirror

Attachments

• music_remade.rar
    27.7 MB · Views: 4,827
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making an exception to the rule about music replacements because this is something the author did all on his own, rather than something stupid like game soundtrack replacements.

Welcome to releases.

I'm making an exception to the rule about music replacements because this is something the author did all on his own, rather than something stupid like game soundtrack replacements.

Welcome to releases.

Yay, it got released!
...Wait, 'stupid like game soundtrack replacements'?
*quietly sweeps music wad under the rug*

Wow, this actually made it in! I may still be listening to that BTS/ATS Music replacement, but hey - it couldn't hurt to give this a shot.

Hope you can finish this with all of your hard work! Wow, that kinda sounded weird...

I can tell you had a lot of fun making these tracks. Personally, my favorite tracks were Green Flower Zone Act 2, the Boss Battle, the Level End Jingle, the Extra Life Jingle, the Final Boss Battle, oh my god it's so good!

I wish the very best for you Blue Warrior and hopefully you will have a music career in the near future soon.

Welcome to releases.

So... would this count genesis remixes, it's just I have to have been the one to make them? (Just asking, as it would be nice to be able to properly release my SRB2 Genesis Pack)

I'm going out on a limb when I say this, but I think the "no music replacements" rule has two reasons for existing:

1. The music itself is not the creator's own work
2. It's considered copyright infringement when it isn't working toward the aim of someone's actual work, like a level pack or mod

As Rob said, this is an exception since there's no infringement here (though it's worth noting almost all of these used the existing SRB2 midis as a base to speed up production; I'd credit the original authors if I knew who did what), there was a lot of effort put into constructing and finetuning both the sounds and the composition to make the tracks as good as they could be. On top of this, volume, compression, and looppointing were all technical factors that I considered important to the quality of the pack, some factors which most custom music additions ignore and even some of the official tracks fail to take into consideration. It's no mystery as to why music replacements have been blacklisted for so long, because the bar for this type of user-generated content has never been set very high to begin.

That being said, I would be interested to see how the music replacement rule could be modified to accommodate for content like this. I believe music/sound packs could work provided the wad's content was actually created by the author and a certain bar was set regarding how the songs are optimized for SRB2 playback. If nothing else, they could act as resource packs for aspiring level designers who want a specific song for their zone. Of course, given how few people seem to be doing music themselves these days, you wouldn't have to make many "exceptions" to the rule anyway if we were to stick with our current guidelines.

Last edited:
The rule is worded that way because you're actually the first one to submit a music pack that contains original work, in the past it's always been rips of music from other sources. We should probably reword it to say "music rips" instead of "music replacements".

So... Just a question. What if I have a big map pack in mind, and then use, like, FL Studio to make music for it... but most of that music originates from other copyrighted games? Would that be allowed?
(Well, the music to be released alongside the map pack, not just for itself here in Miscellaneous releases, of course.)

Last edited:
So... Just a question. What if I have a big map pack in mind, and then use, like, FL Studio to make music for it... but most of that music originates from other copyrighted games? Would that be allowed?
(Well, the music to be released alongside the map pack, not just for itself here in Miscellaneous releases, of course.)

Probably not in Miscellaneous, but I've seen music packs alongside level pack releases, so I think you could do something like that.

Probably not in Miscellaneous, but I've seen music packs alongside level pack releases, so I think you could do something like that.
Yeah, but the music packs for those level packs were usually original music, and I'm talking about music from copyrighted games I just remake in FL Studio and such, to be released alongside a level pack. It's not original, thus why I ask.

Yeah, but the music packs for those level packs were usually original music, and I'm talking about music from copyrighted games I just remake in FL Studio and such, to be released alongside a level pack. It's not original, thus why I ask.

Well, for 2.0 I released 2 maps, and both maps used music from past sonic games. Those maps being egg fleet and splash hill zone, so I am guessing as long as you provide a map for which the music contributes to, then it.would be fine.

It's the same as with music replacements: If it's just a bunch of music and nothing else, it will be trashed. But if it's a custom level with a custom music track or something like that, it's okay.
I do see why this specific music replacement thing is allowed, though. But still, just wanted to bring this up.

.....Why the hell it is in Graphics, when they're new soundtracks? Im confused like a Psyduck O_o

If there was ever a complaint I've had about SRB2's music, it's the super sonic theme (which feels a bit too bland to me). You managed to make that song so awesome while maintaining the original theme to some degree, and made all the other songs so much more awesome.

Seriously, this is wonderful and awesome and amazing and I can't think of any more synonyms but you get the point. :D

If there was ever a complaint I've had about SRB2's music, it's the super sonic theme (which feels a bit too bland to me). You managed to make that song so awesome while maintaining the original theme to some degree, and made all the other songs so much more awesome.
The Super Sonic theme is bland because it's a placeholder SSNTails threw in at the very last moment to ship 1.09.... 4(?) without Viewtiful Joe music. I think it sounds fine for what it is, but no one's actually sat down and composed an original theme for it.

Why have I not posted my love for this yet?
This wad is freaking essential. My favorites in here are RVZ and the end level music. They sound so much less bland.

I really enjoy additions that are like this. Makes me feel like listening to all the music, instead of turning the sound super low to the point a music video will out-power it at any time, or even any video in general... Well done!

I just felt the default gets repetitive, so whenever I play, I load a music WAD alongside whatever else I choose to load at the time.

The thread's old yeah, but I'm just wondering if you have any future plans on maybe remastering any of the other music in the game? For some reason the title screen and Techno Hill Zone just sound so... out of place with these new songs. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back