Blaze the Cat v1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for finding a five year old Easter Egg! (That sure would smell ripe in real life.) It's intentional that her super form is Darkspine Blaze, an idea I saw Hinote draw on deviantART years ago, and I loved squeezing the concept into my own work somehow.

So it's a feature, not a bug.

As a colourblind, I can say that that change to Amy makes a huge difference. Plus, that's only the facing-the-camera sprite, there's much more changable colour visible on the other directions than that. Much easier to see than the dress, anyway.

It always bothered me that it was just the clothes of almost every clothes-wearing character that changed (unless the clothes WAS the most prominent bit, ie: Eggman) - makes it a lot harder to notice those characters while playing team-based gametypes.

You do make a good point, since her head is larger than her dress, but I would like even more colors than just her head to change, and that's where I'm kinda stuck.

EDIT: There are plenty of darker colors that you can use for Blaze's dress outline. However, I understand if you don't want to do that because that'd take a lot of time to recolor the dress on every single fucking frame.
Still...don't you think this looks better?
srb20003.png
One other problem: Blaze's signpost picture goes under the border. Raise its offset by 3 pixels to fix the problem.

That does look a little better, but remember that I'm having to stay inside the lavender color range. The other purples are out of the question if her dress and head are going to change color.

Also, it's not that big of a deal to go over each sprite with one extra color in GIMP, but it takes time adding all those frames back into a WAD, and looking at XWE kind of hurts my eyes after a while.

If we figure out a way to get her Nights sprites into a character specific slot for Nights mode, I might fix this then, but for now, I'm sure everyone doesn't want to re-download Blaze again for a while.

The color I used for the outline actually is in the Lavender range, though. I believe color 253 is what I used. Still, it would take a lot of time and probably isn't worth another update by itself.

Ah, I couldn't tell by looking at it. I feel like 255 would be better, for contrast's sake. I will add it in another update, but it's not enough to merit one by itself.

255 would be pretty much the same as the black outline you had before. I tried 254 and it still looked too dark. To me, though. Do what you want. I'm just making suggestions xD

Last edited:
I don't think I have commented on this topic...ok I think I have but I am really going to state this right now.

Air Drill does NOT fit with Blaze at all, I wonder what you guys were thinking, thoks or homing attacks would fit with Blaze to fit the Sonic Rush feel. Speaking about Sonic Rush, bring back Blaze's Sonic Rush abillities, such as the fire slowfall abillity and the fire-dash abillity, and why is Blaze's super form diffrent, it should be Burning Blaze.

255 might be pretty dark, yeah. I'll see if 254 or 253 fit much better when I get the chance to look into it myself.

Air Drill does NOT fit with Blaze at all, I wonder what you guys were thinking, thoks or homing attacks would fit with Blaze to fit the Sonic Rush feel. Speaking about Sonic Rush, bring back Blaze's Sonic Rush abillities, such as the fire slowfall abillity and the fire-dash abillity, and why is Blaze's super form diffrent, it should be Burning Blaze.

Thok and homing attack would be horrible stand-ins for faking Blaze's Rush abilities 1:1, in both movement and timing. False advertising at its finest, like many 1000-games-in-a-cart Famicom bootleg cartridges. You would have to be kidding yourself to pretend those weren't Sonic's moves relabeled.

To do it the right way, that'll take some Lua magic. Too bad I don't know Lua myself, so if you want to fix that, be my guest, because I can't please everybody.

And it makes me sad that more people are complaining about Darkspine Blaze's existence than enjoying it. Play the main file if you want her Burning Blaze form, there are two files for a reason.

People aren't liking Darkspine Blaze because in Blaze_Alt the transformation sprites still show Blaze turning into Burning Blaze, so it is very off-putting.

That helps a little to know, but there's not much I can do about it for now. Maybe in the next update, I'll toss together a dark spine frame, and make it glow like Burning Blaze.

Darkspine Sonic + Blaze = Blaze_alt Superform, Darkspine Blaze.

Anyway, i am one of the bunch, i like Air Drill, even if it's the "Shitty Useless Cousin" of Double Jump, just like RedEnchilada said. It fits really well with Blaze. Having a Float/Hover/Double Jump/Any other, makes Blaze lose his... gameplay.

Anyway, i am one of the bunch, i like Air Drill, even if it's the "Shitty Useless Cousin" of Double Jump, just like RedEnchilada said. It fits really well with Blaze. Having a Float/Hover/Double Jump/Any other, makes Blaze lose his... gameplay.
But air drill = WAAAAAAAY higher then that bullsh** double jump.

But air drill = WAAAAAAAY higher then that bullsh** double jump.
You're right.
Just compare Mighty's Double Jump with Blaze's Air Drill. Air Drill is obviously a higher Double Jump, but with a cost. Air Drill is that; a Drill. Even if it's higher than the Double Jump, it propels you downwards with a speed higher every second, leading you to a instant death if used near a lovely and innocent death pit. And if that is not a con for ya, it cancels any speed momentum you've earned, making platforming a little more harder. It's a con, but it's balanced.

Air Drill suits Blaze perfectly, and provides a much more fun gameplay experience than slow fall.

I'm not saying that slowfall fits for Blaze, (unless you import the falling with fire under her feet animation) but Air Drill I so fudging hard to control, and it doesn't fit for Blaze, I don't know how people think Air Drill fits for her.

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

I wonder how the fudge you got that idea.

Give Air Drill an extended play, and see if you still have problems with it. It's a relatively new ability, that would take some time to adjust, or not if it doesn't fit your platforming mannerisms. The way everyone plays is a little different.

I wouldn't have minded her previous ability if her Rocket Accel animation could have played there, and with multi-ability, things could go both ways. It's nothing a little Lua can't fix now, but I don't feel like updating SRB2 Rider's "Monkey" Blaze sprites to BlazeRE's appearance for a while.

Ah, I couldn't tell by looking at it. I feel like 255 would be better, for contrast's sake. I will add it in another update, but it's not enough to merit one by itself.
Is the current dress outline used for anything other than the dress ? If not, this could be changed in slade without any problems.

I wonder how the fudge you got that idea.

Just think about it. If you aren't used to use Air Drill, it's very obvious you will hate using it. As Luke said, do an extended gameplay with her, and you'll even complete ERZ3 with her! If ya don't believe it, take a look at this:

8FZwY.gif

See? Better than goin' floating around like a fly. :\/?

EDIT: I already noticed it's cutted in the start of the GIF, but really, if you don't believe it, i'll let the image in a download link, i guess:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ypj352t7sxs1sr9/8FZwY.gif

Last edited:
HOLY- That's even faster than trying to go through it as Tails. Air Drill is more useful than I thought.

Is the current dress outline used for anything other than the dress ? If not, this could be changed in slade without any problems.

Yes, it's used for her eyelashes, so it's no easy fix in Slade. Although if the replacement color used is dark enough, you wouldn't notice the eye lashes change that much.

HOLY- That's even faster than trying to go through it as Tails. Air Drill is more useful than I thought.

Yeah, and he thinked it was not fitting for her. Anyway, she's a really good character; i freakingly liked her Superform, not only because she has transform frames and that stuff. I liked her specially because she can float like Super Sonic, and:

8G2g2.gif

Did ya know Floating shortly after Air Drill cancels it, and you can continue it if you let go Spin button while the Super-Blur keeps going? (Obviously, if the Super-Blur produced by Air Drill dissapears, you'll fall normally)
Strange and useful in some way, isn't?

Yes, it's used for her eyelashes, so it's no easy fix in Slade. Although if the replacement color used is dark enough, you wouldn't notice the eye lashes change that much.

Airdrill allows a lot, skip the first part of ERZ2, get to all items in the THZ goop and use other shortcuts like this.

Her eyelashes are only visible on 3 sprites(front, frontside and side), so changing it wouldn't take forever(it still takes some time to do but at least not all sprite need to be remade), the problem is that the dark color would change color and look bright in multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back