Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopfully Emerald Lake gets some decent ratings. Is it too late to send in any bug fixes? I just found a few undefed rings I need to get floating before voting starts.

b5llra.jpg

1zn1sib.jpg

14b289e.jpg
I think I'll also leave this here.
(thanks KOTE for collaborating with me)

Ah good. I just updated my submission for Emerald Lake.

Now hopfully I can get Flood Forest CTF done in time. Not that I'm rushing.

Hey, here's a pertinent question about the submission rules.

Rule 2 states:
2. Previously released content is uneligible for the contest. In other words, if you have released the level on the forums or another level design contest, you may not enter it.
I'm wondering, how does this rule apply when reusing an existing stage, but converted into a different gametype? Like say, the author submits map A for the Match contest, and later submits map A again, except this time for the Race contest. I'll note that this exact situation has precedent, with Oogaland's level Four Seasons [Circuit]. Though then again, the next tidbit in the same rule --
Also, basing your map on another previously released SRB2 level is not allowed.
may have been added later due to me, throwing the "having precedent" argument out the window.

If it would be acceptable, then let's stretch this to ridicule. What if someone submitted the same stage to two divisions in the same contest? Would it be accepted? Would both entries be disqualified?

I ask, of course, because I had the idea to do that just to introduce a little lulz. Since then I've decided against it, but I'd just like to know what consequences there would be if somebody actually did it.

I'm wondering, how does this rule apply when reusing an existing stage, but converted into a different gametype? Like say, the author submits map A for the Match contest, and later submits map A again, except this time for the Race contest. I'll note that this exact situation has precedent, with Oogaland's level Four Seasons [Circuit].
This is not allowed. It may have been in the past, but at this point we want you to create new content, not rework your old content to new uses. The OLDC is for showing off creativity and originality, not how well you can re-purpose old material.

If it would be acceptable, then let's stretch this to ridicule. What if someone submitted the same stage to two divisions in the same contest? Would it be accepted? Would both entries be disqualified?
As long as the stage was not previously released, there would be no issue with this, at least from a rules perspective. The stage might not exactly work for multiple gametypes, so it might end up with a crappy score, but you won't be disqualified for it.

Scizor300 and danie: There are problems involving your entries not being available for download. Please check your submission topics or the contest preview for details.

Yeah, my map was uploaded, but I forgot to put player starts, and now SRB2DB is refusing to open any of my maps.

"Error 52 while loading map: Bad file name or number."

What is this i dont even.

Bah, hopefully I'll have some time left to submit with my home computer's copy of SRB2DB before the contest starts. God damnit. 666

Last edited:
I don't know much about SRB2DB, but it might be caused by the fact that your map is on MAPM1. I know WadAuthor used to have problems with the newer map numbers. Try changing it to MAP01 or something to edit it.

I really doubt that's it. In SRB2 The Past I have maps at the far end of the map number range. Something like Map Z0 and SRB2DB can open it just fine.

Guess who just entered a 2 hour rush-job race map... :3

Anyways, since I'm not making an appearance this OLDC, I'll just leave what I was going to submit.

Screenys for Quick Cliffs Zone:
srb20004.png

srb20007.png

srb20005.png

srb20006.png

Good luck to the current OLDC entries!

That level looks SO bland at the first and third and last screen shots.
Other then that, it looks like a 4~7/10 in my book. Not that bad.

It's nothing to really get excited about, it's just a quick rush job map. It gets impossibly cramped even with about 4/5 people in it; it's a really, really small map. Like, the first screenshot showed about 95% of the map.

(also, yes, I hosted a netgame with it. It was interesting, to say the least)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back