Invalid Title screen shown forever when trying to join a netgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Find the SRB2 room!
When I join a netgame using the in-game server list, it just displays the title screen forever. Why does this happen?

Rarely does it show that it's downloading something, but I must say that whoever is hosting the master server for the game has a godawful bandwidth. I can barely join a modded server when instead of even trying to download it closes itself and lists the files I need to download. But then comes a problem: where do you get these files? For example, most people have this AH-Shadow wad, but I can't find it anywhere on the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try searching for unowned WADs on 4shared.com, most wads are uploaded there.

When I join a netgame using the in-game server list, it just displays the title screen forever. Why does this happen?

There's two possibilities. Either:

1. You're still connecting to the server, so be patient as it may take a while.
  2. You're not connecting to the server, so either try again or don't join it.

SRB2's always done that while it tries to connect to a server.

*Looks on topic* what do you mean by warehouse?

Basically, I meant that loads of files are just thrown in there and it's pretty open source. I bet there are a bigzillion amount of files that have viruses.

But aren't most of the files on 4shared zipped/folder'd? Because then some idiot can put a virus along with the actual wad in there.

Then after you unzip it, only use the WAD file. If there's something else in there, delete it.

hold it
Don't some viruses activate upon unzip or attempted deletion?

If you think the zip might have a virus, scan it first.

Well, theoretically it could, but that would require a rather horrific exploit in Windows itself, and I have to assume that any exploit of that nature would be patched by now.

You people are worrying about something so irrelevant and your protections are awful to begin with. Malware, including viruses, are definitely real, but the fact of the matter is that you're not going to get viruses downloading WAD files. You're far more likely to get infected by malware going to shady web sites or installing things you don't know what are than anything so benign as a ZIP file.

So I have to ask you all: Do you run NoScript? Do you click links your friends show you without thinking? You shouldn't be worrying about this because your preparations are like spending a huge amount of time preparing and protecting yourself from lightning strikes while you drive every day without worrying about dying from a car accident. One of these is INFINITELY more likely. Getting infected browsing the web without proper security is far more likely than getting infected by the invisible bogeyman.

Well, theoretically it could, but that would require a rather horrific exploit in Windows itself, and I have to assume that any exploit of that nature would be patched by now.

You people are worrying about something so irrelevant and your protections are awful to begin with. Malware, including viruses, are definitely real, but the fact of the matter is that you're not going to get viruses downloading WAD files. You're far more likely to get infected by malware going to shady web sites or installing things you don't know what are than anything so benign as a ZIP file.

So I have to ask you all: Do you run NoScript? Do you click links your friends show you without thinking? You shouldn't be worrying about this because your preparations are like spending a huge amount of time preparing and protecting yourself from lightning strikes while you drive every day without worrying about dying from a car accident. One of these is INFINITELY more likely. Getting infected browsing the web without proper security is far more likely than getting infected by the invisible bogeyman.

The reason we're worrying about this shit is because, put it this way: How much money do you think any kind of computer costs? We worry about these things because we want to protect our expensive systems. We worry about these things because we don't want our passwords stolen. It's a completely natural feeling.

And you say that our protections are awful to begin with, you can't say that because you have no idea what people use. Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and I've heard good things about it. And I've been using it for months on end now and it's done me great.

And, sure, we're not going to get viruses downloading WAD files, but 4shared has been suggested, and that site is open-source and is pretty much a file junkyard. Who knows what you're going to find in there, I doubt that the place is even moderated.

Anyway, the original issue is now the fact that the download freezes. Who has horrible bandwidth? The master server, the server host, or me? Because I use Sky broadband.

The reason we're worrying about this shit is because, put it this way: How much money do you think any kind of computer costs? We worry about these things because we want to protect our expensive systems. We worry about these things because we don't want our passwords stolen. It's a completely natural feeling.

And you say that our protections are awful to begin with, you can't say that because you have no idea what people use. Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and I've heard good things about it. And I've been using it for months on end now and it's done me great.

And, sure, we're not going to get viruses downloading WAD files, but 4shared has been suggested, and that site is open-source and is pretty much a file junkyard. Who knows what you're going to find in there, I doubt that the place is even moderated.

Anyway, the original issue is now the fact that the download freezes. Who has horrible bandwidth? The master server, the server host, or me? Because I use Sky broadband.

Viruses are nothing to worry about at all. Its not even a life threat.

And its simple to removes viruses from a computer easily even with out a virus protector program.

Here a simple way to detect a virus when there something unknown going on in your computer. push the keys Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then look in processes.

Now if you notice a strange name in there and its doing nothing at all delete it and see what is happening. If things start changing and fixing it self as soon as you close it. Its gone till you restart your pc. Now to remove it. You got to go into your system files to do so. And I do not feel like even putting all that into one post just to teach someone else how to remove a simple virus that you MIGHT get in a wad zip.

Including its uncommon for someone to put a virus in a wad zip folder. So uncommon that it will most likely never will happen.

And if your still afraid of these virus. Just go download a Virus Protector program. There you go problem solve.

Next it can be the server that why it freezes on going downloads from there side to your side. In other words it might be his or your internet. Check the ping of the server and if its high chances are you wont be able to download anything from there. If its low then you be able to with out a single problem.

Last edited:

Rarely does it show that it's downloading something, but I must say that whoever is hosting the master server for the game has a godawful bandwidth. I can barely join a modded server when instead of even trying to download it closes itself and lists the files I need to download. But then comes a problem: where do you get these files? For example, most people have this AH-Shadow wad, but I can't find it anywhere on the forums.

I'd like to point out that the Master Server has nothing to do with the people who are hosting games on it.

All the MS does is show you the current running netgames. It doesn't do anything else since those netgames are from people who are actually hosting a multiplayer game. Those issues are more likely caused by a bad connection between you and the server that you are trying to connect to.

If you can't find the files on the MB, then either they are on another forum, or they are private for certain people only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back