Steam Hacked - Username/Password/Credit Card info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosaver

I just got the news now on another forum. If you haven't noticed, Steam got hacked.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

It doesn't seem as bad since the main target was the Steam Users forum. Apparently, they found out that the hackers wanted more then the forums and started to gain info directly from Steam. If you have a Steam Forum account, you might want to change your password.

What is with all the hacking? I wonder if the hackers had any motive to hack Steam?

Their motivation was probably the connection:
Some people, like me, use the same passwords or usernames for their SPUF account, or have a link in their profile directly to their account. This could cause a problem.

Well steam isn't as safe as other platforms. . .I kinda saw this coming, though I shouldn't be somewhat surprised.

EDIT: Oh the irony. . .the day I purchase Garry's mod is the day the defacing happened XD

Last edited:
Well steam isn't as safe as other platforms

I'm sorry, what happened to PSN earlier in the year? And how did they handle it? Oh that's right, they sat an entire week on their info before saying "well they could possibly have everyone's credit card information."

And here Valve comes out with an immediate statement on what came out as soon as they figure it out, and how even though credit card details might've been taken, they're encrypted to prevent misuse.

And Steam is less secure than other platforms still?

This is why I never opt to have vendors store my payment info. I'm assuming people who don't have that stored are safe, unless that stuff is somehow recorded with the purchasing history...?

犬夜叉;718791 said:
And Steam is less secure than other platforms still?
Steam also has an optional "Steam Guard" feature where logging in from another computer will require a confirmation code from your email. So if you have that on, I'm sure your Steam account should be in a much more safe position. I'm not sure how forum accounts work though.

Haha, I love the straightforward honesty. Sony could stand to learn a thing or two...

Steam also has an optional "Steam Guard" feature where logging in from another computer will require a confirmation code from your email. So if you have that on, I'm sure your Steam account should be in a much more safe position. I'm not sure how forum accounts work though.
Oh yeah, I have that turned on. I should be good.

EDIT 2: FAKE - Thanks Cue for saying it was.
ZI1Pt.png

Epic! Two free games? Too bad I already own Portal 2, I could always keep it as an extra game to gift to someone else in the future.

Edit: Erm, I don't know the source. I got it from another user on the Sega forums but I don't doubt it being true.

Last edited:
ZI1Pt.png

Epic! Two free games? Too bad I already own Portal 2, I could always keep it as an extra game to gift to someone else in the future.

Edit: Erm, I don't know the source. I got it from another user on the Sega forums but I don't doubt it being true.

This is faked I believe, Gabe stated so himself.

So yeah, this is just reenforcing the fact that no system is 100% secure, but Steam sure as hell has a lot better security than PSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back