• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New Match System Editing Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, lots of people would probably be bothered about this one, but I think it doesn't hurt to add an Eggman box as 1/32 in a SRM, no?

Uh, yes, that does hurt. That kind of goes against the point of an SRM.

Actually, for a while during testing we had the random monitor odds put onto the ? monitor and we used that. Eggman was by far the most rage-inducing thing you could possibly imagine. If you think the Recycler is random and annoying you didn't play match under that system. Eggman boxes do not belong on objects designed to be beneficial.

The appeal of doing it by random respawn instead of by the ? monitor is two-fold:

1. The player can see what item they're going to get before they put forth the effort to hit the box. This means that if the player has say, an Elemental Shield, they can choose whether or not they want to hit the box for a Whirlwind Shield or Force Shield, which may actually depend on the situation and level. I'd much rather keep an Elemental Shield in Infernal Cavern, but when I go up and look at the SRM I can decide whether I want the item or not given what I have. If it was a ? icon I couldn't do that. I like giving players decisions to make in gameplay.
2. The random monitors get to look like every other monitor in the stage. WRMs are quite common, so by using random respawn they don't stick out like a sore thumb and instead just end up as whatever item they happened to spawn as this time.

Excuse me, there's something I don't understand. So, to create an SRM, you need to give the monitor the old Hard flag (bit 0x0004). What does the (bit 0x0004) mean, and what exactly do you key into SRB2DB to get it?

Go into SRB2DB, select the monitor, and check the box beside "object special". That's all it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back