• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

datacastle.wad (beta)

is this a good level?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mighty

as some of you have seen (from playing on my netgames) i have my very first level wad in progress. :)

it works, although there's tons of glithes (misfuntional thok barrier, etc.)
if you want to see how my level is so far, here's a download link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qiw7cs

it's just a beta......... :?
if you want screenshots, ask for 'em
otherwise, i'll just upload them later!

Remember to use bind s screenshot in the console and press s to get a screen without the console.

screenshots!

ack! stop shooting at me!
srb20013.png

hmmmm.... a narrow maze (i should get rid of that, but it's the beta)
srb20015.png

better not fall!
srb20016.png

blub blub blub (tails drowning in enemies)
srb20018.png

maybe i should go down there?
srb20019.png

wheeee, im being downloaded! ...or is it uploaded?
srb20020.png

it's a good thing i found this shield!
srb20021.png

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

this is really good, and i know this is just a beta, but, don't forget to put in a thok barrier, cause i was running at full speed and i went flying into the wall (or outside the level)

You do know how to make a thok barrier, right? Its....like a extra line at the other side of the.....wall

Man, I hardly know how to explain what a thok barrier is. I just know how to make one, but thats all.

I'll explain thok barriers. You see, Sonic will go through one-sided lines when moving at a certain speed, ie full speed running or thokking. In order to fix this, level designers put a normal wall on the edges to put a two-sided line in front of the one-sided ones so Sonic can't thok through them. If I missed anything, let me know, I'll add it.

On a more low level. Going at full speed the player will outrun the simple collision detection. However a player cannot exist below the floor or above the celing, so we create a sector where every part of the sector is one of those. The result is a sector that cannot be entered under any circumstances.

Those screenshots look really bad. Everything looks tiny and cramped. You didn't even use water blocks for the acid. It's just.. an acid texture laying on the floor.

Judging by the screenshots, I'd say you are reading Doom's Level Design 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back