[Open Assets] Egg FrostBurn

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

original boss 101 coming through

Meet the Egg FrostBurn! A boss that is "ported" and redesigned from a scrapped 2.0 mod known as SRB3K (which I'm quite upset was canned). This boss is not exactly like the original, but with 2.1 soccing and having to make some custom objects for a few of the attacks, I was able to not only able to bring the boss back, but to also make it Chaos Domain's Flamebreath boss difficult.

I highly recommend that you get the chance to insert this boss into your level packs if you want something a little unique. Looks at Kuja.

Credits to Nev3r for the original script.

Version 2: Decided to really dial down the boss attacks to support the hit limitations of Health.wad

Version 3: A major overhaul to improve the boss's SOC entirely and to make the Ice NOT Brak goop using lua. It may not be perfect, but it's pretty good enough as it is.

Access this map via the map command:
Code:
map mapz4

Attachments

• EggFrostBurn.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Boss has been updated.

Version 2: Decided to really dial down the boss attacks to support the hit limitations of Health.wad

I have a bit of a bias here, but Proto has a much easier time here than any of the vanilla trio, and I noticed a couple things that contributed to this: one is that Proto can reach the boss when Sonic can't, and the other is that Proto can struggle to get out of the ice stun while Sonic can't. Some ideas I want to pitch from this.

It'd be interesting to see the boss try to strafe and back away from the player more, rather than rise to where he can't reach him. There's a lot of moments where the player has to just wait for Robotnik to come down, and even then he still has to make sure he's approaching while Robotnik's attacks are on cooldown. If Robotnik worked on a strictly horizontal plane this would be much less of a problem.

As for the ice, right now I don't think it's fleshed out enough. The moment you're frozen, you're basically at the mercy of the boss, in which case you may as well have just been hit by an actual damaging attack in the first place. If you could try and break through the ice by mashing buttons, it'd be a more meaningful mechanic and add a recovery dynamic to the fight. And considering how quickly the frost throwing attack comes out, I think it's only fair.

It's a pretty decent boss beyond that. I would probably play with the attack timings and movements a bit, but I think that all depends on the intended difficulty of the fight.

The real problem I had while testing out A_SkullAttack was that the "retaliation" attack combined with it just didn't feel like a retaliation.

The Ice is actually 2.0 Brak's goop just edited differently (literally coming straight from the original boss strangely enough. I tried to make a mock-up clone. But apparently A_GoopSplat didn't work like I wanted it to. I guess its because Brak's goop is just that hardcoded. If I obtain enough knowledge of lua to understand how the fuck I can affect a player within an object and give them the ability to break out of it, I can probably remake the original idea for the attack.

Thanks for the criticism though.

The real problem I had while testing out A_SkullAttack was that the "retaliation" attack combined with it just didn't feel like a retaliation.

The Ice is actually 2.0 Brak's goop just edited differently (literally coming straight from the original boss strangely enough. I tried to make a mock-up clone. But apparently A_GoopSplat didn't work like I wanted it to. I guess its because Brak's goop is just that hardcoded. If I obtain enough knowledge of lua to understand how the fuck I can affect a player within an object and give them the ability to break out of it, I can probably remake the original idea for the attack.

Thanks for the criticism though.

I'm gonna be honest, I hate controlling objects through states and I use lua specifically for that reason. I'd have probably coded a completely different movement system and attack pattern for FrostBurn, which would mean inventing a few formulas, but it would allow for a lot more precise control, plus you'd cut down on the states needed to make the boss work.

As for ice, I imagine it'd require a few hooks, but you could definitely put something together in lua. Forget about Brak's goop; what I'd probably have in mind is to make an "iced" variable for the player (or player.mo) object which keeps track of how much time the player has left till he's unfrozen, and during that time you'd just make the player unable to move and like... stuck in the pain frame with a white palette or something. The ice projectile would set 'iced' to some number of tics and then vanish.

You'd just need to figure out how you want to code in the "break free from the ice" code. Rapidly tapping the spin or jump button to make the timer go down by a couple tics would probably be the most intuitive way to do this, but the only problem is that Lua has a pretty primitive input-checking system in place; it doesn't distinguish between pressing and holding a button. I made a special input logging mechanism for Proto to aid in button checks, and for the freeze mechanic, it'd probably look something like this.

Code:
		//Check if unable to button mash
		if(player.ice_mash == nil)
			or player.health < 1
			or player.exiting
			player.ice_mash = 0
		//If passed, check for button presses
		elseif(player.cmd.buttons & BT_JUMP)
			player.ice_mash = $ + 1 //Add a tic to the timer
		else
			player.ice_mash = 0
		end
		//What to do if iced
		if(player.iced)
			//Immobilize
			player.powers[pw_nocontrol] = player.iced
			//Suggestion: Change the character's frame and color or something
			if(player.ice_mash == 1) //Check if we JUST pressed the button
				player.iced = $ - 4
				//Suggestion: play a sound of some sort, for player feedback?
			else
				player.iced = $ - 1
			end
		end

That would more or less be your ThinkFrame or MobjThinker hook for MT_PLAYER, then you'd add a ShouldDamage hook for MT_PLAYER that makes it so he gets iced instead of damaged by that specific object type.

He freezes you, and then burns you. That is a concept I have never seen before. I think I'll try this out and see if I can beat it!

EDIT: That's a really fun boss you got there! I was able to beat it first try! I love it!

Last edited:
Version 3: A major overhaul to improve the boss's SOC entirely and to make the Ice NOT Brak goop using lua. It may not be perfect, but it's pretty good enough as it is.

EDIT: I actually took the liberty to update this now since Kuja released the new TEI update. Don't wanna mislead other modders incase they happen to use this boss suddenly.

Last edited:
As a part of my "Birthday Update Spree on the M.B." Egg Frostburn is now up to date with how it plays in boss mayhem, the Ice Gimmick made by Prisima and MPC is included as well, don't get frozen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back