• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Pristine Forest (sc_pfz_a1.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX

Now 100% less jaded!
This is my first co-op/single player project, Pristine Forest Zone. I wanted it to be based off of a beautiful forest, in its natural beauty and serenity, while with hidden things along the way. The theme is to be calming and spirit-lifting and to make you feel good while you're bopping some bots, haha. Also, note that it says Zone 1. Yes, this means this is going to be a full three-level series. Anyways... I suppose a few screenshots and an Alpha'll get you started.

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/srb20012l.png/
The starting area, fully detailed to every last bit (unlike the rest).

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/srb20013.png/
A better view, higher-up, of the starting area, as well as the first pathway.

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/srb20014.png/
OMG SPIRAL STAIRCASE OLOL (Thanks to Kyasarin for this.)

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/srb20015.png/
Just a little leisurely waterslide that slams you against the wall. :D

http://img15.imageshack.us/i/srb20016.png/
The area after the waterslide.

(Next image skipped; more spiral staircases, whee)

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/srb20017.png/
The area you arrive at after the other staircase(s).

http://img22.imageshack.us/i/srb20018.png/
A view of a flooded area...

...And that's all I got so far. Keep in mind this is ~15-20% done. I have a lot left to do, hence why it is an Alpha and that alone.

Also, please no bashing criticism (that means D00D64 brand).

Without further adieu, the download links!:

SENDSPACE MIRROR http://www.sendspace.com/file/e2vunf

MEDIAFIRE MIRROR http://www.mediafire.com/?ylld22mytht

Enjoy... ._.'

As you know (I think) I have played in your server in this level and I thought it was quite good, the only flaw is that this level has no exit. That wall where the level currently stops is a place to put an Exit Sector.

One thing about this level is that it's nothing more than a series of hallways. Have it open out into a large room at some point.
There's too much stairs in this level, resulting in a lack of platforming and sudden stops here and there.
The entrance to the final room seems too sudden; make the little hole you jump through longer.

Last edited:
One thing about this level is that it's nothing more than a series of hallways. Have it open out into a large room at some point.
There's too much stairs in this level, resulting in a lack of platforming and sudden stops here and there.
The entrance to the final room seems too sudden; make the little hole you jump through longer.
Note this is an alpha 1 and I am touching up on many things, so that will be one. A large room is going to be after you exit the flooded area, so hold your breath.

LightspeedX: I feel no need when I can use my Admin powers and use exitlevel...

it's awesome ZX. I played the server as my comments said
It was Nice,Beatiful and The Music is fitting I remember the SUPER old Alpha which was dull

it's awesome ZX. I played the server as my comments said
It was Nice,Beatiful and The Music is fitting I remember the SUPER old Alpha which was dull

Yeah, it was more or less a beeline to the finish at that point (which, I realized, as well as I was told, that makes it WAY too easy to get to the end...).

So I revamped it, 100%. This has been put on hold due to family problems and the like... However, I am putting bit by bit more onto it per day, so yeah.

Also, please no bashing criticism (that means D00D64 brand).

>:3

So anyways, I know it's incomplete, but ti's pretty bland so far. Even WITH things in it, it seems dull. But it's clear that this is VERY early in development, so that may be why. As for the music choice, it does NOT fit well for a forest. Beach Coast Zone type areas, yes, but in a forest? Not so much, since it sounds more "Tropical" than anything else. I suggest the following:

Tree Top Rock (Donkey Kong Country): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQt4LSm_hwg
Click Clock Wood - Spring (Banjo Kazooie): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXoaTcf_3vo

I'm sure there are others, but those I just thought of from the top of my head.

As I have said before, it's dull right now, but It's too early in development to say much, and I shall await a more finished product for a proper evaluation. Also, PLEASE swap out the tree leaves. There's another leaf texture not tied tot he Jungle set, but the name escapes me at the moment... The one used currently is probably the ugliest leaf texture in the game.

Last edited:
>:3

So anyways, I know it's incomplete, but ti's pretty bland so far. Even WITH things in it, it seems dull. But it's clear that this is VERY early in development, so that may be why. As for the music choice, it does NOT fit well for a forest. Beach Coast Zone type areas, yes, but in a forest? Not so much, since it sounds more "Tropical" than anything else. I suggest the following:

Tree Top Rock (Donkey Kong Country): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQt4LSm_hwg
Click Clock Wood - Spring (Banjo Kazooie): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXoaTcf_3vo

I'm sure there are others, but those I just thought of from the top of my head.

As I have said before, it's dull right now, but It's too early in development to say much, and I shall await a more finished product for a proper evaluation. Also, PLEASE swap out the tree leaves. There's another leaf texture not tied tot he Jungle set, but the name escapes me at the moment... The one used currently is probably the ugliest leaf texture in the game.
I knew this was coming. I just didn't know when. XD

yes, we get that. I don't give a flip about the current textures, I'm just throwing in what will work as a placeholder.

I'm going to have to punch you for your music suggestions. With what I have playing in my mind (not a monkey playing cymbals, mind you), neither one of those fit. 'Sides, I hate 'em both. > x< Not to mention, I think it fits. Lotsa others do. (See majority rules.)

It's not supposed to be appealing, superiffic, et cetera. It's just the way it is for now. I will swap out textures at a later time, preferrably when I get near the end of it. As for Thing placement? I hucked those flowers into the level (excluding the start of the level, which I took a LOT of time on...), so those are going to change in the long run!

I thank you for your criticism, but I notice many like it as it is. And the way I do it is, majority rules. We'll see what happens during the final stretch of this project. Might be changed 100%, who knows. ;P

I'm going to have to punch you for your music suggestions. With what I have playing in my mind (not a monkey playing cymbals, mind you), neither one of those fit.

First off, just what DO you have working in that head of yours, concerning this level? From what I can gather, the level is a forest level (which I have noticed is become a slightly more common theme as of late), and Sonic 3D Blast Saturn's Green Grove Act 1 just sounds too "tropical" for the environment. It Sounds more appropriate for something like Emerald Coast or Palmtree Panic than here, or even Green Grove.

However, if you ARE trying to work off this "tropicalness", I do have some more suggestions (Not that GG1 is bad or anything, but there ARE some better choices):

Palmtree Panic (Sonic CD JAP)
The PERFECT example of what a Tropic song should be, this track pumps almost any listener with energy and happiness, with it's nice flow and playful feel. Easily the BIGGEST casualty in the Jap/Us soundtrack change.
Right click and save this link to get a looping version, since the DL links on Sonic Retro are gone, yet still functional.

Cirno's Stage (MegaMari)
Less tropical and more fitting towards the forest theme than the others here, this laid back tune is a fairly versatile one, being able to fit easily into a tropical, forest, or even cave (assuming its well lit).

Tails House (Sonic: Emerald Quest, which is in the game by default)
Not all tracks have to be custom you know. Sometimes, the default ones are just what you need. and hey, less stuff to DL, amirite? A very good song in it's own right, the Sunset Park opening leads to the original melody, being a slight bit more quality than your average Green or Tropical area.

Waterfall (Tikal & Chaos, just find the game here, and you can find the music in Ogg, but you'll need to loop it)
I'm not sure WHAT you are planning, but this just may fit. This more majestic track just glides through the ears, sending the silky smooth tone through the eardrums. It fits more for a waterfall type level, as the title states, but it may be just what you are lookign for.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Like I said, Green Grove 1 Saturn is a good track in it's own right (Heck, the SP level I'm sending to the OLDC uses Act 2), but these tracks MIGHT be more too your liking.

First off, just what DO you have working in that head of yours, concerning this level? From what I can gather, the level is a forest level (which I have noticed is become a slightly more common theme as of late), and Sonic 3D Blast Saturn's Green Grove Act 1 just sounds too "tropical" for the environment. It Sounds more appropriate for something like Emerald Coast or Palmtree Panic than here, or even Green Grove.

However, if you ARE trying to work off this "tropicalness", I do have some more suggestions (Not that GG1 is bad or anything, but there ARE some better choices):

Palmtree Panic (Sonic CD JAP)
The PERFECT example of what a Tropic song should be, this track pumps almost any listener with energy and happiness, with it's nice flow and playful feel. Easily the BIGGEST casualty in the Jap/Us soundtrack change.
Right click and save this link to get a looping version, since the DL links on Sonic Retro are gone, yet still functional.

Cirno's Stage (MegaMari)
Less tropical and more fitting towards the forest theme than the others here, this laid back tune is a fairly versatile one, being able to fit easily into a tropical, forest, or even cave (assuming its well lit).

Tails House (Sonic: Emerald Quest, which is in the game by default)
Not all tracks have to be custom you know. Sometimes, the default ones are just what you need. and hey, less stuff to DL, amirite? A very good song in it's own right, the Sunset Park opening leads to the original melody, being a slight bit more quality than your average Green or Tropical area.

Waterfall (Tikal & Chaos, just find the game here, and you can find the music in Ogg, but you'll need to loop it)
I'm not sure WHAT you are planning, but this just may fit. This more majestic track just glides through the ears, sending the silky smooth tone through the eardrums. It fits more for a waterfall type level, as the title states, but it may be just what you are lookign for.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Like I said, Green Grove 1 Saturn is a good track in it's own right (Heck, the SP level I'm sending to the OLDC uses Act 2), but these tracks MIGHT be more too your liking.
Palmtree Panic? If it didn't have the YAAAAYs, then maybe yes.

The Cirno stage? It's halfway there, but I really do feel it'd be more suited for a chill ice-type level.

Tails' House... What tunes is that? o.o'

As for Tikal and Chaos, I'd really rather not have to download a game I won't end up playing just to get a good piece of music. >>"

I'm planning it to be a forest in its natural beauty. If its music is too tropical, then I suppose I can find a replacement. I just don't want anything ominous and dark ( think tunes 138 ) , so I'unno. Tunes 92 was taken into consideration at one point (or tunes 91, whichever is the heavenly-sounding one).

The music is, just like the textures, a placeholder to what may be thrown in. I felt it fit at the time, so I just chucked it in there and let it fly for the time being.

Last edited:
Tunes 92 is Tails' House/Jade Valley. AKA, that tune you were considering :P

And yeah, there REALLY arn't enough good Forest tunes.

As for Waterfall, I can put it up on Mediafire if you'd like...But you'd have to follow the Wiki's music tutorial to make it loop.

The music for Nimbus Ruins, Silver Cascade and Desolate Twilight are all from Sonic Emerald Quest too. I think they are all really nice, especially NRZ and DTZ.

Tunes 92 is Tails' House/Jade Valley. AKA, that tune you were considering :P

And yeah, there REALLY arn't enough good Forest tunes.

As for Waterfall, I can put it up on Mediafire if you'd like...But you'd have to follow the Wiki's music tutorial to make it loop.

Heh, thanks D00D. That'd be nice.

I already know how to loop, so I'm all set in that regard - I was the one who looped the Green Grove track that's the level's set music as it is. :P

Did you guys know that there are more tracks taken from S:EQ, used in our SRB2 mods? For example, Underwater on S:EQ's is the same track Tets used on his Dark Palisades and Ice Forest is where the old MFZ tune comes from.

Did you guys know that there are more tracks taken from S:EQ, used in our SRB2 mods? For example, Underwater on S:EQ's is the same track Tets used on his Dark Palisades and Ice Forest is where the old MFZ tune comes from.

Actually, no, I never knew that. Never even heard of the game until it was brought up in relevance to custom music for my level. But huh, that's actually very interesting... But obviously the tracks are remixed, so it's not like we're committing a felony or anything. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back