• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sammy's Shitposts~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectorious

Certified synth whore
So since I'm pretty much done with college, I've began to dabble in the map making scene so that I can make use of all of this free time, and despite it's steep learning curve it's been a lot of fun. So with out further ado I present to you Snow Summit Zone!

5ABPWLD.png

9wjSnuP.png

Ytpqzwr.png

XTkg2rH.png

xg6RgQD.png

It's a level that is going to have lots high speed sections, and a level that will reward skilled players with hidden goodies and faster ways to reach the goal.

The Ice theme is nice, I personally can't get enough of levels with them.

If you want maybe you could add a thin layer of snow which the player and enemy sprites sink into slightly, common in a lot of snowy levels.

The physical layout of the level looks nice, but maybe you could use some more texture variety with the walls, a lot of these shots seem to primarily use the one ice crystal wall.

Looks like a nice use of slopes too, only potential worry I suppose is to make sure it's not too steep to run up, from the looks alone they seem fine, but just something to note I suppose. Also nice placement of decorations, enemies and rings.

One thing I am wondering though, what do you mean by "rewarding skilled players"? Would it be like keeping your eyes peeled for a hidden path or cracked wall? Or perhaps a type of difficult platforming that would be hard for someone playing as anything that isn't tails? Just curious about what you mean by this statement.

The Ice theme is nice, I personally can't get enough of levels with them.

If you want maybe you could add a thin layer of snow which the player and enemy sprites sink into slightly, common in a lot of snowy levels.

The physical layout of the level looks nice, but maybe you could use some more texture variety with the walls, a lot of these shots seem to primarily use the one ice crystal wall.

Looks like a nice use of slopes too, only potential worry I suppose is to make sure it's not too steep to run up, from the looks alone they seem fine, but just something to note I suppose. Also nice placement of decorations, enemies and rings.

One thing I am wondering though, what do you mean by "rewarding skilled players"? Would it be like keeping your eyes peeled for a hidden path or cracked wall? Or perhaps a type of difficult platforming that would be hard for someone playing as anything that isn't tails? Just curious about what you mean by this statement.

Yeah I do plan to add a thin layer of snow as a finishing touch once I have designed all of the rooms, and what I meant by skilled play is having the level designed in a way that when you play just right as Sonic you can breeze through the level, find some hidden areas to encourage exploration with Tails and Knuckles and also allowing some skilled play to get some hidden goodies like this.

SameDisguisedDassierat.gif

Yeah I do plan to add a thin layer of snow as a finishing touch once I have designed all of the rooms, and what I meant by skilled play is having the level designed in a way that when you play just right as Sonic you can breeze through the level, find some hidden areas to encourage exploration with Tails and Knuckles and also allowing some skilled play to get some hidden goodies like this.

[Image Removed]
That is a very nice way to go about it, looks good based on what you showed thus far.

I like the look of the level so far. The Radiant Caverns textures definitely work with the level that's given but I wouldn't go too crazy with them. That's just me however. Can't wait to see more.

Honestly this looks really good, but there are a few things you can do to improve the level.
Try to make the level less geometric, get creative with the visuals and not just make each section a straight corridor, add curves to make it feel more natural.
As Shad.CM said, try to add those layers of snow that slow the player down if you walk in it, you could even hide things inside snow. Try to use snow to hide switches or items, or even tokens!
Other than that, this level is looking really good so far, can't wait to see more progress on it.

Loving that colourmap you put over the map to create 'wintery' look

Good stuff

Welp I'm back with a few more screenshots of Snow Summit Zone, this time showcasing the level design traits and ideas that will be fairly common throughout the level.

mFdI7uG.png

This is one of many upper pathways to be found.

xHz5iNp.png

Here's one of the slope heavy platforming sections, don't slip!

9dl0VNj.png

MORE HIDDEN GOODIES!

KRx8yIs.png

I gave the first Extra Life Monitor it's own little room, instead of some boring tiny platform.

6OKH7fS.png

And with a bit of exploration you can find this Armageddon Shield that might come in handy for a later section.

The level is still far from finished, but with enough motivation I should hopefully be able to release this before the end of summer.

Oh man I completely forgot about this thread, so here's some of my crappy Mapping Shenanigans over the past few months:

brrY4kK.png

CCcwwKR.png

iufRZgn.png

ab7raGi.png

ktOaC0D.png

We7QrpV.png

h30LdqS.png

0HgaXa8.png

Dude, excellent work, I see you're using Some of the Sonic Mania textures, Great use of Middle textures and Slopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back