• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinefast

32 kilowords of core!
Some will be aware that orospakr is himself working on a port of SRB2 to the Android OS - I got bored today and decided to try and get my own attempts at SRB2 on Android running myself. The results were somewhat exciting:

2wrhhz7.jpg

I am debating with myself whether or not to expand this into a full project. I am reluctant to invest much time in it, as it runs quite slowly on my G1 (which I picked up very cheap at a car boot sale, be sure to visit those). Still, I think on a Nexus One or Desire this could run at an acceptable speed.

If you're interested in recreating this in your spare time, I'm willing to spare you some time by explaining how this is done.

Anyway, should I expand this into a full project to bring SRB2 to the Android easily, or should I let orospakr do a proper port? I want to know if there's enough interest before I do so.

How the heck would a Droid Incredible user control it? Besides that question, I say go for it.

How the heck would a Droid Incredible user control it? Besides that question, I say go for it.

The VNC program I use to get the video working, if I can find the source code, I could perhaps give a virtual keyboard to it, alternatively, as the VNC program locks the buttons to itself, it may be possible to use buttons like the back button and such as control keys (the optical track-pad can be used for movement I guess (though it's a bit uncomforatble), that's what I used on my G1 to try it out).

I bet it would run faster if you didn't have the X server running. Since RAM and processing power is usually not an issue on smartphones nowadays, I bet an SRB2Wii-like minimal approach would run pretty fast considering the size of the hardware.

If you can work out a way to control it on a Desire, I'll give it a go, I have one of those in this household.

If you enable bluetooth, you can pair with a keyboard, or a wiimote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back