SRB2 shots used in ad for rootkit app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to get hold of Mystic via e-mail, but it bounced. So I'm posting here instead. (First post in four years!!) Apologies if this was unwanted or is the wrong place. I haven't been here in a while.

There is an ad online with screenshots of SRB2 in it. You can see a screenshot of it here: http://stuff.brokenbeta.co.uk/srb2ad.png

The ad in question is for internetgameboxx.com. If you visit their site, DO NOT INSTALL OR EVEN DOWNLOAD THEIR SOFTWARE. The more savvy of you will see malware a mile away. Cleverer people than me have identified it specifically as a rootkit. In layman's terms, if you run their programs, your computer will break, and no one will be able to fix it.

I was going to check if they'd asked for permission, but having googled what they actually do and what their product does, it seems not worth the bother to ask. It's perfectly normal for these companies to take stuff without asking first. Consider this topic a heads-up and nothing more.

See you in 2013. :-)

I talked to them about this a while ago, and in true malware fashion, they reported they pulled the ads when they didn't.

I'm quite surprised they haven't been shutdown yet, after all, they're distributing a rootkit in the form of a free game client... >_>

Sadly, getting a website shutdown if they have their own server is a lot harder than if they're hosted by a web hosting company, I've taken down an MSN virus site before now by contacting the hosting company. =P Finding the company who is hosting the dedicated server is not easy. :(

Cue said:
Finding the company who is hosting the dedicated server is not easy. :(
Um, yes it is. That's what network whois is for.
internetgameboxx.com is hosted by masterhost.ru

Doesn't help you much that it's hosted in Russia.

Sappharad said:
Cue said:
Finding the company who is hosting the dedicated server is not easy. :(
Um, yes it is. That's what network whois is for.
internetgameboxx.com is hosted by masterhost.ru

Doesn't help you much that it's hosted in Russia.

I did a whois and didn't find much... :(

o_O

I'm amazed people are still making topics about this. I think I was first one to make a thread about the ad back in '07. [LINK] I feel sorry for anyone that has clicked the ad. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back