Should Character WADs be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarbo the Black Sheep

Furry Composer
The large majority of them simply have no redeeming value. I know there are that do have value, like Dr. Pepper's WADs, but even then, they hardly even interest me.

They shouldn't be banned, IMO. I rarely use character WADs, because they rarely add something new to the game. If it has a really innovative SOC or something, then I use them occasionally, and sometimes I've used character WADs that have certain abilities to test stuff, but that's all. But even though I never use them, there's no reason they should be banned.

I don't think they should be banned as a whole. Granted, 90% of character wads are either recolors or crappy paint jobs. As you said, Dr. P's work is awesome, and I also have high respect for Senku and Chrispy. But it seems that more and more crap is shoveled out nowadays.

I thought the revamped Releases Section fixed this problem. :/ It was supposed to help with the flood of worthless WADs that you described, SonicMaster. Characters lacking any redeeming value or effort won't last long in Submissions.
As for lacking interest in character WADs, I kinda have to agree with you. I only make them because there are other characters from the Sonic universe that I just can't play SRB2 without. Custom character making, (to me anyway) is an open opportunity to make that happen, I won't be screwed without Blaze or Amy if I can help it.
I still don't think they should be gone entirely though, it wouldn't make much sense to just ban character WADs alone. There are quite a few poor quality levels and socs out there too, so why not be rid of them as well?

We shouldn't shut dwon character wads. There are some which are just pointless recolours while others the people who created them put their heart and soul into it.

The main problem here is the old releases, not the new ones. People are constantly adding old shovelware such as SMS that nobody really wants to
use.

A solution I see is to break old character wads in 1.1, not something massive, just something that will mean old releases would have to be re-released, and since they wouldn't be accepted they would pretty much cease to exist. Something simple would do, so that the good stuff can easily be fixed up to work in 1.1.

So, pretty much, it's not a matter of banning them, just removing the old crap from play.

Much as I hate newer character wads, no, I do not think they should be banned. I do, however, think that it should be made a hassle for people to open the characters provided in SRB2.

Yeah, that'd make it so people couldn't just give Sonic a couple of edits and call it "Flame Sonic"...

...Who would be that stupid?

Graff said:
Yeah, that'd make it so people couldn't just give Sonic a couple of edits and call it "Flame Sonic"...

...Who would be that stupid?

His name ain't Flame Sonic, and Plus I got JEFF, not "Jeff Sonic" not "Jeff Knuckles"

Just...Jeff, noting else...And I didn't even call it Flame Sonic >:|

Character WADs are just as good as level WADs when the character is well made. I LOVE them. In fact, I am a sprite rip fan. So no. Just no. Character WADs aren't gonna be banned, at least if I have anything to say about it.

Even if character WADs are banned, including from the Master Server, we can still create our own character WADs and use them in single-player.

they shouldnt ban character WADS, i mean sure, they are just a bunch of diffrent characters with diffrent ability's like sonic, knuckles, and tails, but the WAD's add some extra creativity.

I don't think the master server should be so restrictive at all. If a server has a billion wads loaded, just host your own. That'd please the both sides of the character spectrum.

It would be better to ban servers that think it's a good idea to host a million wads and not even enable maxsend. Nobody wants that.

Having character wads banned her would be like having character wads banned from Skultag and doomworld.

Blue Warrior said:
It would be better to ban servers that think it's a good idea to host a million wads and not even enable maxsend. Nobody wants that.

Sometimes I join the ones that do enable maxsend just to annoy them, it lags them down to hell and back. =P

It would be nice not to be restrictive, but there are too many instances of shitty hangout and RP servers, you have not seen the report list, there are a lot of them, trust me. :(

By banning them, it means the good servers get a chance to actually get a few joiners.

glaber said:
Having character wads banned her would be like having character wads banned from Skultag and doomworld.

Not really, I doubt they have recolour after recolour... :(

fawfulfan said:
Character WADs are just as good as level WADs when the character is well made. I LOVE them. In fact, I am a sprite rip fan. So no. Just no. Character WADs aren't gonna be banned, at least if I have anything to say about it.

Give one example where the gameplay is drastically changed so much that it can compare to the gameplay changes resulting from an interesting and innovative level design.

Hm...Well, Cue, I HAVE Roleplayed myself, but also actually playing the game. I mean, well, it's pretty much roleplay, but also completing levels and such.

As for client downloading, I usually do it to download rare wads, which are mostly recolors/old. Take SABlaster.wad. It's a supershadow.wad recolour, with run and skim on water, maxspeed multi-homing-thok (which is already cheap on its own), and a lame as hell backstory.
Me and Torgo had problems with a 301.6KB amyrose.wad, but lucky me, I managed to client download it.

Not so supervirus: You have a point there.

Oh, and SMS is pretty common, actually. I rarely use SMS though. I usually stick to the good ol' SRB2 Sonic.

As for FawfulFan...Well, yeah, what Cue said on IRC:

<Cue> Someone please explain how you can compare character wads to level wads...

Well, here's the issue. Character WADs may not feel original, but a good one can LOOK original, and the speed physics can be different. I'll admit there aren't enough abilities (hint hint, 1.1 designers!), but wouldn't it be kind of dull to only have Sonic, Tails, and Knux in various colors?

It might make it a bit harder to set up a netgame, but, the way I see it, that fact simply gives you an incentive to use better character WADs. I mean, the better a character is, the more popular it tends to be, doesn't it? So more people would have it, and more people could play on your netgame. Those stupid enough to use unpopular WADs will have a hard time setting up the netgame, and those who play it safe with characters like Dr. Pepper's Blaze or Amy will be rewarded with more netgame opportunities.

One more thing: shouldn't this topic have gone in the War Room?

Cue said:
Give one example where the gameplay is drastically changed so much that it can compare to the gameplay changes resulting from an interesting and innovative level design.

That's essentially the main problem with character wads. A lot of the people are focused on making the character look good to make up for the lack of gameplay difference, but it is possible to make an innovative character that changes how the level is played. Just play as Senya and you might play with those ice cubes a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back