What's your experience with SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Random exploring. XDDD

2. Platforming, special tricks (thok-spin, thok-bounce...), game modifications, extra characters, secrets, putting challenges for the players to go through it (Mystic Realm for example)...

3. Seriously talking, not alot of people, but those who play with me are friends. My enemies are noobs.

4. I appriciate this community, even though there are still noobs asking how to jump for example (lolz).

I was looking for sonic fangames and it just came up. I have tons of friends and one or two nemesis... (nemesises? or nemesiss? what is plural for nemesis?)

1. How'd you learn about SRB2?

Trying to find a 3D Sonic racing game, I was getting tired fast of M&S Olympics Dream Race. Found it on some site.

2. What do you like most about the game?

Fact that is has speed, and the levels are freaking long and retarded.

3. Generally, what kind of friends/foes/acquaintances do you usually make in the SRB2 community?

Anyone who acts like a moron.

4. What is your opinion of the SRB2 community? What do you like most about it, and what bothers you the worst?

Flooded. Period the end.

Blue Warrior said:
3. Generally, what kind of friends/foes/acquaintances do you usually make in the SRB2 community?
4. What is your opinion of the SRB2 community? What do you like most about it, and what bothers you the worst?

1. I learned about SRB2 from SFGHQ and SSRG
2. I like the customizations, modification and the gimmicks that you can do or create
3. I have made a couple of friends on IRC, not in SRB2
4. My opinion when I first came here wasn't that bad, but now, too many young people and idiots are coming and there are no smart ones to back it up. What I like most about it is the fact we have rules that keeps them from releasing shitty levels and having horrible internet etiquette. The bad thing is the noobs, idiots, trolls, spammers, and the horrible shit Sega keeps making which makes the SRB2MB not enjoyable at all.

1. Went to on Google Images to find some screenshots of Sonic 3D Blast. I then noticed some 3D sonic pictures which did not seem to come from any game I had played, so I had to find out what it was. SRB2.

2. The fact that it keeps the classic style sonic gameplay.

3. I don't really interact with the community very much, however, the few that I do interact with/have asked for help from are very kind.

4. I can't really say.

Sonic Fangames HQ was running a daily "SRB2 update" promotion around Christmas-time, back when Demo 2 was up-and-coming. I eventually downloaded Demo 2, and despite only having four levels (up to THZ1), I loved it. I eventually joined the forum around 1.08 or so, asking for help with custom textures (which I eventually wound up writing the tutorial for).

I'll note that the levels really haven't changed much at all. Ever.

It pretty much perfectly captures the essence of Sonic - fast-paced action with tons of exploration to be had. You can either run all the way to the end as fast as possible, or explore every nook and cranny (and in fact HAVE to if you want the Emblems or Emerald Tokens). Sure, it lacks slopes and loops, so fancy jumps are extremely limited in nature, but for what it has, it works really well.

I'm an admin. If you don't hate me, I'm not doing my job.

Seriously, though, I think I'm on RELATIVELY good terms with everyone. Although I'm probably really annoying to most, I at least have the common sense to stop when told.

I do like most of the regulars you see in #srb2fun. Good sense of humor, interests largely similar to mine, etc. I also used to LOVE this community around 1.09 or so, where there were still plenty of cool levels being generated and we weren't all either stupid or elitist.

Actually, that's what I dislike about this community the most. Most of the fanbase here is apparently illiterate; so many EXTREMELY SIMPLE rules are broken on a regular basis. Not to say ALL the rules are extremely simple, but some of the ones most readily broken are the ones you could get pretty quickly by just reading up.

As the feelings of animosity towards this rather large portion of our userbase pent up, the smarter of us started to get rather elitist. Holier than thou. Burn the heretics (or idiots in this case), we called. I'll openly admit that I'm guilty as hell of this, which is actually something I have a bit of remorse for nowadays...

Granted, this doesn't change that we still have a userbase I'm hard-pressed to say I'm proud of - remember that we have somebody actively porting one of the worst games of all time to SRB2 (Sonic 2K6, natch), and plenty others calling for ports of awful games (Heroes, Shadow) which are either impossible, improbable, or flat-out ridiculous. We have a blossoming character WAD base, all blindly intent on making Sonic recolor #123311 playable in the game for no reason, despite how literally nobody really wants to play as any of them. Our game is not being played online like it should be, generally, but instead as an alternative to, say, Habbo Hotel. The game as a whole has sort of lost its charm and mystique as a result.

Of course, I'm trying to offset this a bit by creating things like our spam forum - which could use an overhaul, I'll openly admit. Lighten up a bit on the elitism, maybe come to terms with the idiocy (because, as Albert Einstein once said, only two things are infinite in our world - the universe and human stupidity, and he's not sure about the former - so it really won't be going anywhere). I don't think the community will ever be the community I loved back in, say, 2004... but we can probably work with what we've got and try to make it a better place.

Well, at least it IS getting better, SH and Sonict. Just look:

* Releases section is now a lot more awesome
* The Best of the OLDC megaWAD will help outnumber the amount of noobish coop servers.
* SA City is given zero tolerance and is quickly dealt with. I saw an SA City server be on the ban list within ten minutes of my report.
* SRB2 Live, eventually
* Lost Worlds and Centigrade

It is a bit better, but honestly, not much has changed. The IRC chatroom is the only place to really get away from it all. I still have hope for the forum although that is dropping because of what Shadow Hog has said about people porting over levels from shitty Sega games that will never work in SRB2 and it even goes against what SRB2 is all about which sucks ass. If only we could get rid of the shit. Shame it won't be happening.

Also, SRB2 Live is pretty much dead. Most of the stuff in there will not be in 1.1 anyways. Some stuff maybe will, but Cue hasn't worked on it in a long time.

Being honest, SH moved my opinion of the spam forum a fair bit. Yes, it's daft, but from what I see, (and from the new Releases too) spam over the whole of the forum has been cut.

Blue Warrior said:
As you might have seen on the SigSev Cafe: http://www.sigsevcafe.com/mb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1723

This is simply a public survey I'm running so that we can get to know the whole SRB2 community a little better. There's just four questions I have here to ask, but feel free to skip any of the questions you don't feel like answering or may be uncomfortable with.

So, what's your story?

1. I saw it on you tube and thought it was a Sega Saturn game. I even went to srb2.org and because of how long ago since its last update, that's how I got the idea.

2. The fact that its a Sonic game and its 100% editable

3. To tell you the truth, I'm really not sure. I've been alone and alienated for more than half my life :/

4. My opinion, we need to lighten up a wee bit more, but not to the point of HOW DO I JUMP forum. What I like is that everything is orderly ^^. What I hate is that n00bs don't read the rules and it causes chaos (I'm embarrassed to say I was one of them for a while -.-'

I know I said something about this before, but I might as well say it again. I learned about SRB2 in SFGHQ back when they had demos on their site. I tried out whatever version that was featured on the site at the time. I think it was Demo 4, but I don't remember.

When I first got it, I was really amazed at how this game was modified out of a DOOM engine. It was also the first 3d sonic game that actually played good. I liked playing the custom single player maps, like the old versions of mystic realm. Custom maps added to the playability of the game and kept my spark of interest in the fangame. I also like multiplayer, even though the c-lag is sometimes a pain, and finding people that are a challenge is a bit hard.

Apparently the kind that got me a job as an administrator at SRB2 MB :P. Seriously though, I am with good terms with most of the people at #srb2fun. I try not to make many foes here. I even tried talking Armonte out of making the mistake of trying something that would land him a permanent ban from here. It didn't work, but I thought it was worth a shot. Sometimes I might come off as a jerk, but I am trying to not be so much.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the community. I like the people contributing something fun to the game and contributing information that helps people edit their own WADs. I don't like it when people don't use common sense, or that SPAM the boards to get revenge or something.

My brother brought it to me as a chalange to hack, I failed epically
The easy customization... I think thats a word..
I generally make friends/foes/acquaintances of the human veraity, altho we did have 1 dolphin on one server, and there was the monkey... Than the geraf, and then the wow nerd who said he was a night elf...
The community is nice, when them came to me I was an immature kid, now I am the lord of the monkeys!!

1) How'd you learn about SRB2?
This Video

2) What do you like most about the game?
Ctf , Match and Coop modes

3) Generally, what kind of friends/foes/acquaintances do you usually make in the SRB2 community?
Friends: Basically people like flyer3f or godspeed
foes: People like armonte or usuario.

4) What is your opinion of the SRB2 community? What do you like most about it, and what bothers you the worst?
I like this comunity ,is a good example for other comunities.
The Most greatest thing: The Game itself
What pisses me off: Noobs

I was on Youtube, and went through a chain of about 15 videos, and ended up seeing an SRB2 video. I Googled it, and got SRB2.org
The fact that you can customize it.
Whoever I end up talking to that I don't end up hating. I don't know who all here I could truly consider friend or foe but a few.
Well, I think it's starting to go down hill. The best part is the part that doesn't try to wreck everything.

One of FoxBlitzz videos before he took down. (Thanks!)
That it was online and you can download levels and customize a lot of things
I made lots of friends in the SRB2 community it was just a antecedence actually.
There are great people with great personalities! Noobs, noobs, and more noobs (Well we all were).

I believe I ran into it through some sort of mention on another site, perhaps Wikipedia. However, I avoided the community for a couple years after discovering it, so I didn't really become rightly active until a year ago.

My favorite aspect of the game is the fact that it is so customizeable. Due to the fact that I've been so tired of seeing the same-old textures, I started making new ones, and that's become a regular hobby for it.

I also like the multiplayer aspect, this comes as a close second, because it gives me an opportunity to play this game with others. I don't very often, but I still think that it deserves to be noted.

I've never intentionally made any foes, I try to maintain some semblence of respect for whatever good another community member has done. Nevertheless, I think I became a foe, or rather a target for Ash because of my position in SRB2Jazz and my overall naiveness.

I actually have not really made many friends, when I do it is because of something specific that we had at first communicated about. Currently, I could probably only list two real friends, and I'm not sure if they feel the same way. My method of making acquaintences is much the same except there are a lot more of them.

I think that the SRB2 community is struggling with a lot of faults at once, though recently it looks like many are actually trying to remedy this. I am not opposed to either the harsh rules when necessary, or the spam forum, rather it is an overall feeling of cynicism I sometimes feel that I feel is the community's worst attribute. The current state of the Sonic community in general seems to reflect this as well.

What I like most about the community is that there are some users who are actually trying to do the activities this forum was meant for, and are not letting the cynicism get them down. We have many users still making levels and characters regardless of the fact that we tend to wave our hands and turn our faces away from the collective "trash heap" of SRB2 modifications. There are also some users that do try to exhibit some actually human elements into their posts, such as allowing themselves to offer sympathies (such as everyone who wished AmyRose well when she mentioned her wheelchair state before it was locked, I personally wish that I had) or consider things with factors outside the mechanical radicals of ratings, statistics, and determinant factors.

The fact that most of these users remain here and there has been no significant exodus to another forum is one thing I think that exhibits a good quality of this communiy.

Gamefaqs.

Single player and the fact it can be customized.

I don't play online myself. I prefer splitscreen in real life, and FFXI for making e-friends.

I like that people want to make stuff for this game, and that some are willing to learn how to get better. I don't like the people who are so n00bish/elitist that I just want to reach through my monitor/cell phone and strangle them until their eyeballs pop out. This however, applies to any online community.

Here are my answers to the questions:
Blue Warrior said:
How'd you learn about SRB2?
I first saw some vids on YouTube a few years back, and then a couple months ago. I looked it up on the Doom Wiki, and downloaded it soon after.
Blue Warrior said:
What do you like most about the game?
I like Coop and racing, and the fact that the game is highly customizable.
Blue Warrior said:
Generally, what kind of friends/foes/acquaintances do you usually make in the SRB2 community?
I haven't played netgames for too long, so I don't think I have many friends or rivals yet.
Blue Warrior said:
What is your opinion of the SRB2 community? What do you like most about it, and what bothers you the worst?
Being the official Sonic Robo Blast 2 Message Board, it's obviously heavily guarded and somewhat newbie friendly (I'm still kinda new to the community), but there's always going to be a few nameless n00bs that will try and wreck the place for even the Masters...all in all, though, it's still a great place to get info on stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back