Official Level Design Contest - December Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

I would list all 15 maps I have, but I dunno if some people want theirs to be a surprise. Anyone who's not sure whether I have your map, e-mail me to confirm.

Almost ready to add my level to the ever-growing list of levels to be in this pack. The good news is that just about everything has been put where it belongs, and I've learned a thing or two about raw data and invisible intangible FOFs. The bad news is that I still think it needs testing, so I'll see if I can put it through the guys at the MoFo to give it a whirl.

So, since I can't wait to describe my entry, take a gander at Wrecked Satellite Zone:

wrcksatscreen.jpg

The quickie description (or "story") to the level...

A satellite was long since lost in space when one of Eggman's prior attempts to reach space failed. Drifting around the Earth, if very far away, it was soon again found by Eggman who decided to turn it into yet another arena for SRB2 players. He has fixed up some of the wreckage that ensued when it was hurtled off into space without only gravity to guide it, but the wily doctor* intentionally left one glaring error - the main room completely lacks air, except for the huge column in the center and the few columns supporting the main pathways. Unless they have a green sheild handy, players must be prepared to run from point A to point B with only five seconds until their untimely demise, making this one of the most unique stages around, but also one of the trickiest. Can YOU and your buddies take the stage on?

(*Not Dr. Wily!)
As for whether it's more than average or not... well, we'll see when it enters the contest. With 15 maps, I doubt it'll make it very far, but it probably will stand out.

players must be prepared to run from point A to point B with only five seconds until their untimely demise
You were able to get Space Countdown to work? I was going to use that for my level but I couldn't get it to work. Meh, it's probably better that I didn't anyways, considering the low gravity will probably be hard enough for players to deal with.

FuriousFox said:
You were able to get Space Countdown to work? I was going to use that for my level but I couldn't get it to work.
That's odd, since all you have to do is set the type to 6. Or, if you need to combine different sector types (like I do for the bottomless pit), use a giant invisible, intangible FOF whose dummy sector is set to 6. It's easy as cake.

Still, I don't even know if it's completely working right in netgames yet. I know if I do splitscreen, 1P works A-OK while 2P will run into the sector, start the countdown, run back out, and still have it counting down, causing them to die. I want to see what happens if I do a netgame.

Heck, maybe I should quit waiting and send it to a441 now. The only change that could possibly be made on MY part is to remove that gimmick should it not work, in an attempt to boost my score, since if the space sector doesn't work, there's nothing else I can do...

Shadow Hog said:
I know if I do splitscreen, 1P works A-OK while 2P will run into the sector, start the countdown, run back out, and still have it counting down, causing them to die. I want to see what happens if I do a netgame.
The countdown only stops for the console player, as you described, and it causes a consistency failure.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to add mention of this to my specials list.

So I assume this means I should NOT have this in the level, since it'll render it unplayable?

Okay, nevermind, your guide spells that out fairly well. Dang. Oh well, time to do some reworking... I can STILL make this somewhat unique...

I might yank out a proper version for v1.09, though. Assuming this is fixed.

Yep. I was the first to discover that bug. :wink: It is abused in Crazy World, one of my first wads and the only one I DESIGNED to be as buggy as possable.

Nice, Mystic.

And now, procrastination at its finest! Behold, my wad.
SRB2003.png

Unfortunately some rather irritating circumstances have prevented me from finishing this wad. Procrastination is the leading cause, but that's not all. I also had to reinstall Windows recently because it would restart the computer at the login screen, I had to go to several family events for Christmas, and I got a DS. Too much distraction will do this to you.

As you can see, the layout is a bit bare. Time will only tell if I can finish the object layout before the deadline, but signs are pointing toward no. It's been a while since I was in a competition, and it was hard to get back into my groove soon enough to get it done. If there is one next month, however, rest assured I'll finish this for it.

In that case, your rules suck and that's all I can say. I was assuming we were going by rules similar to those Mystic had used, but I was wrong. I really haven't much reason to finish this then.

Give it your best shot. One day is more time than it seems like.

The rule was originally used by Mystic and removed during one of the later contests in an effort to get more people to show up. It tends to bring in more original content.

I've gone ahead and sent it in its current state. It should be just fine - 32 DM starts, two layers, a No Tag Zone surrounding the level, a large column that has low-gravity and several yellow springs so as to bounce yourself up... All-around average map, really; not expecting it to do grand in voting (since sector type 6 causes consistency failures and that was what it was built around, hence removing it impairs the whole intention surrounding it) but at least it adds to the FREAKIN' LARGE list of maps in this MegaWAD.

Oh wow. I have less than five hours to get Diamond Duel finished. I'll see you at 6:59 when I get out of my hole.

EDIT: Finished and submitted. Description is as follows:

Level Description said:
This was a rather fun level to make. If anyone was watching me, they'd notice a pattern. Hidden Palace was conceived in English class. Triad Trials was conceived in Health class, as was Space Armada. And Fight to the End, if I ever fix it, was made in Social Studies.

Well, I made this in Algebra. Why did I go off on that tangent? I don't know, and you don't either. But anyways, I had a blast making this level, as I made it almost exclusively in Doom Builder. I made a staircase in WadAuthor, and added the header with Lumpmod, but everything else was Doom Builder. This led me to the determination that, except for really specialized jobs, Doom Builder beats out WadAuthor.

Now, playing the map. First of all, this is a SonicandTails218 map. Meaning that Tails has a leg up. However, don't worry, as Sonic will do rather well in this level, except for the crumbling platforms, which will take precision jumping. The underground caves are a hint I took from Triad Trials, in that going up and down is ten times as fun as foward and backward or sideways. Also, I didn't use any yellow springs, and red springs were only used for big jumps. Everything else is jumping or stairs.

Once again, I find myself going off on a tangent. I'll just skip right to the gameplay tips:

-Tails will do well in this level, but Knuckles players will find that it suits them as well. The character is only as good as the level, so consider trying out someone other than Sonic.

-The crumbling platforms will reappear, so don't worry. However, since they do crumble, you can really torture pusuers by standing on a platform they're about to land on, and getting off at the last minute.

-No bomb rings, and no infinity rings. Rail and homing and automatic are present. I should warn you that there is no mass sniper spot like in TTZ, so it's more balanced.

Right now, SRB2 is in XMAS mode, but the level works well either way. One might question why I used generic GFZ graphics. I answer that question with this: Not one of my maps till now has used the GFZ texture set, so I decided to try it out. Enjoy the map vote 10/10

Yep, that's the description. We're almost in the twentys for maps in the megawad, so my chances of winning are slim. Then again, HPZ kinda surprised me, so you never know.

Muh. Tets, if you think you've got procrastination, I made a crappy wad first day of the contest and did nothing since.
It's beautiful and simple, with lots of rings and such, but I don't know if people would like mine as much as Mystic's or someone elses... Of course, I've only played my own in netgames and I haven't seen any rings in those pictures... So I don't know. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back