SRB2 2.01 : What are your honest thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the arid canyon zone music xD

Reminds me of gemstorm music...maybe I'll arrange a piano version of it.

In My opinion, Srb2 2.0.1 ..Was a great jump for the game. even though its kinda unstable..(at least for me) But its still fun, I loved Arid Canyon and Red Volcano.

My Pros and Cons

Pros
-New Match/ctf System: This is just awesome.
-New Levels/enemies: The crawlas look like if they were mini tanks.
-New weapons: I just love the scatter ring.
-New design for the old levels: I liked Cloud Palace.

Cons
-You can't use your old wads: Such as levels and stuff.
-C-kick: Kitsune got c-kicked several times yesterday (while trying to join my server).
-Deep Sea is laggy: at the start of act 1..but its still fun.
-No Mysticrealm: I miss playing Second quest D:

The save system is really pissing me off.

- Get a Chaos Emerald token in DSZ1, and beat the level. Go to the special stage and the game crashes (using a green screen resolution) in the middle of it.

- Repeat step 1. Beat the special stage and head to DSZ2. Try to get Sonic's Emblem (lol not telling you where) and find that the game was somehow modified, forcing me to start from the fucking beginning. Given how you get Sonic's emblem, getting there and not finding the emblem was rage-inducing.

Given the chance of crashes, how long some of the new levels are (DSZ1 took me over 10 minutes the first time through from exploring, etc) and special stages in between, I think the game should at LEAST save after each Special Stage.

Being faithful to the original games is one thing, but when it's at the sacrifice of the enjoyment of the game, I think some changes should be made. I mean, replaying stages you've just beat simply isn't fun, and the current save system prevents the game from being played in short sittings.

oh uh hi long time no see

Unsuprisingly, my honest thoughts are going to be pretty heavily biased. I can't help but feel I'm some kind of grandad coming back to see his grandchild having now graduated from college and in the process of becoming something truly awesome. I got pleasant waves of nostalgia playing not only the very tried and tested content (GFZ/THZ) but also the stuff I'd seen glimpses of and helped develop on a very on/off basis (sorry, DSZ1 is mostly my fault), and the way AJ, Mystic and the rest of the Sky Sanctuary team have gone on to make a fantastic game.

I'd always had a vision for how I wanted SRB2 to be and I was expecting to constantly spoil the game for myself by having my stubborn designer's voice going "No way! I would have done this totally differently!" but I've very rarely found myself saying that. In most cases, I'm extremely happy with the game and level design and a vast majority of the game feels professionally designed and decently polished in this respect. There are some sensational new ideas in there, such as all the robot designs that came out far, far better than the comparitively awful designs I drew all those years ago. I was expecting the odd new enemy with the usual complement of 19,000 Crawlas, but I was taken aback at how well they'd be made and implemented.

I obviously have some reservations, as I do with every other videogame I've played; texturing is something we've never been too hot at, and I can't help but feel the giant tiled walls of GFZ2 look somewhat dated now. Considering, however, the game's enormous age though, this is fairly unavoidable. There are a few specific instances that made me put on the aforementioned designer's hat for a brief few moments (that weird bouncing water puzzle in CEZ2 didn't do it for me, and there are a few death pits that feel a little out of place). I miss the old difficulty select system, although I appreciate that we've got some very, very cool stuff as a result of it.

Admittedly, I've not delved enormously into the game - I'm on Red Volcano after my first sitting through the game, although I have a pretty good idea of what ERZ1 is like as I got to see AJ make the level and my jaw dropped throughout. As the trend thus far has been improving all the old levels I've seen, I can't wait to get that far. However, I don't feel like I've even scratched the surface. I feel like I've sort of lightly breathed on it as I know full well there's a hidden treasure trove of absurdly well-hidden secrets waiting to be unlocked. I think it quite likely it will a considerable time to unlock them (I know as much about the emblem locations as you guys do!)

To the Sky Sanctuary team, I implore you to finish the game. I'm enormously happy with what I've seen and I know you can do it proud! =)

Pros:
New levels, Semi new Special Stages, Semi new Red Volcaino, a base badnik for the drilla is avaiable (Look in CEZ)

Cons: The auto Save system booted out the save anywhere system instead of trying to co-exist with it like Valves weapon unlock system for TF2 (will go into detail if provoked), The concern I voiced in Voiced Concern fell on deaf ears (See Upcoming level Ignored Concern), Single player lag

I can't say I really enjoy 2.0 thanks to the lack of OpenGL. Software mode just ends up raping my computer really hard, and any level that's not THZ or GFZ ends up running at half FPS the entire time and it makes the game totally unplayable. :<

Speaking of levels that aren't GFZ or TFZ...what the hell happened? The difference in styles between THZ and DSZ is so abnormally large, you could swear someone degraded SRB2 down into some pompous SRB2 mod made by SomeOldbie34234 that automatically gets straight 10s simply because the person is well liked in the community. Oh and it's more detailed then most current generation platformer games these days.

There are so many things I could nitpick with the new levels in SRB2. Seriously. It's like it jumped from simple, short fun to something you'd pick out of any random stupid FPS in this god forsaken modern world. You know, speaking of which, I love how much Castle Eggman emulates that. What with it being dark and gritty and I had to turn up the frikken brightness on my monitor to see crap. It really reminded me how most modern FPSes use like, 10 colors at the most, white, black, and four shades of brown and grey each. And it reminded me why I really hate that.

And then the complexity! Sure, it's large, detailed, pretty, and will likely keep you entertained for hours. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. At least, not if you were, say, posting a level for the level contest maybe. For what's supposed to be a simple Sonic adventure, that's kinda absurd. I think a good goal is for a level to be able to be completed in about 2-3 minutes starting from the first stage, and very slightly incrementing every stage thereafter. You're not supposed to be able to complete one level in under a minute one stage, then the next stage taking 10+ minutes just to get to the retarded end. And don't give me that stupid crap about me not being good enough. I cleared most areas in a level with Sonic at decent speed without tirelessly trying them over again. I looked around and explored a bit, but even going at a decent pace I still found myself to be earning a time of over 8 minutes in CEZ1. 13 minutes in CEZ2. Think people, the old Sonic games had a time limit of 10 minutes to clear each stage. You should not be making the stages so hilariously long and difficult to trek through if you're intending on emulating some of that old school style.

And that was just CEZ! I was afraid of what Arid Canyon and every other level afterward would be like! I could swear the level designers were TRYING to make me damn sick and tired of looking at the same retarded textures over and over and over again for a full blown half an hour. You know what levels were good? Mystic Realm's. That's right, you heard me, Mystic Realm's levels are better then this. Sure, they're not as big or detailed but they were short, fun and not tiring. I remember when I could clear S3&K in less then a half an hour, I got so good at it. It was because it was short, and fun. Maybe not long lasting, but the fact that I kept coming back to it meant that it didn't matter; regardless of length S3&K is still going to last longer then SRB2 because it's not tiring!

I had to stop at ACZ because the lag was starting to piss me off but that's a story more or less related to my computer. Though admittedly, I wouldn't have to deal with that if OpenGL was support, but haha, like that will ever happen...while we're at it, let's make a Mario game out of the source engine. Then we can say we have a mascot that forsakes the higher end users and a mascot that forsakes the lower end users. But I digress. That's not why I'm ranting. Why I'm ranting is because the single player levels disappoint me to hell and I had really high hopes for them. All the gimmicks and such don't matter at all if the level design sucks. The Sonic Heroes arguement applies in this situation and it's incredibly saddening too considering how SRB2 started.

The match levels are pretty nice however.

My only gripes is DSZ is a little strange to play, and that the game sigsev's a lot, which is acceptable for a new release. And, how when most people join get c-kicked. So, it's pretty much the bugs, which will be fixed soon, I hope.

The new match system is GODLY. Every new match turns into a crazy frenzy, and you're constantly moving. Hey, if I have to go AFK, I be a spectator! Excellent! I love that. I have yet to really try CTF.
The singleplayer mode, well, honestly felt a little different from the 'ol GFZ and THZ. But that's not bad. I don't mind how long the levels are, because they are fun! The DSZ crumble maze might be a little strange feeling, but other then that it's fine. I liked exploring and all, and I haven't even tried looking for secrets yet, so I know there is still so much more. CEZ was awesome, even though it was sort of incomplete. CEZ2 was fun, but I got stuck in the large water room. it's not exactly obvious what you do there.
ACZ was pretty sweet. I just ran through and had plain old fun.
RVZ was WAAAAAAY better. It got freaking tides, man!
ERZ was the best. The first level is pretty fun, and gets you used to the whole gravity thing, then act 2 lets it all out. I found it easy though, if only because I used Knuckles. The final boss was sort of.....easy once you figured it out. But I have the feeling thats not the final.

All in all, it exceeded my expectations.

I didn't understand match in 1.09.4 and I don't understand it in 2.0. Maybe it's just because I hate Quake 3 too.

I brought back Voiced concern as Ignored Concern.

The reason being is because I thought that it would work in the new system (No one said your map needed all the weapons)

Fyrus said:
I'm praising that Open_Gl is gone. It wasn't a very good thing in SRB2, and was laggy as hell. Plus, it constantly crashed.

Then your computer sucks.

I love SRB2 2.0 in every way, no issues with it yet, apart from that it doesn't work properly when compiled with GCC 4.4 >_> But I'm sure thats not an issue for this thread.

I think we've just got a hate bandwagon going on here.

Oh, all the cool people hate it, I liked it, but I'll hate it now so i'll look cool too!

2.0 was a fantastic release. It should save after every level, though. The new levels were fresh and challenging, and DSZ was incredible, although I didn't realize this right away. Play DSZ more. You'll like it.

Conic said:
2.0 was a fantastic release. It should save after every level, though. The new levels were fresh and challenging, and DSZ was incredible, although I didn't realize this right away. Play DSZ more. You'll like it.

My regards exactly. Not too big of a fan of DSZ1, but DSZ2 is quite fun. The Sonic emblem placement is pretty interesting, but it really shouldn't be placed in the map in an area where both Knuckles and Tails can go, because if you go there as Tails/Knuckles, there's nothing there for you.

Like:

-Detail and design of levels.
-New enemies
-Music
-Horizontally moving sectors? Sexy.
-Tonnes of stuff to play with in editing.
-Texture changes in special stages.

Dislike:

-Lack of OGL.
-Saving per zone, not per act.
-The ARZ moving platforms don't render properly, show through character sprites, and have no textures on the top or bottom.
-DSZ slightlag, and CEZ2 pretty big lag. (OGL, guys! C'mon!)
-Some resolutions being crashy. I want my 1680x1050.
-ERZ's space-countdown areas being a bit vague, especially since most have sudden entrance without being able to return.

Like:

-Enemy designs (Awesome designs for the enemies)
-Music (Amazing music for each level)
-Upside down gravity (New ways to make the game fun)
-2D-3D and vise versa (^)
=Awesome gimmicks (^)
=Megaman style difficulty in ERZ without the enemies (Being the last level, this is good)

Dislike:

-White bar at the bottom (Very distracting)
-Lag in CEZ2 (Even though I don't get much fps drop, it's still crude to those that have bad computers)
-OGL lacking (Unsupported? Who cares. It still works)
=Saving feature (Even DooM did it better!)

I think it's safe to say the 2.0.1 is the Spy vs Sniper update of SRB2.

For those who don't know, Team Fortress 2's Spy vs Sniper update introduced the new random unlock system for weapons. the system was met with majority backlash and minority support, just like the save system here is being met with. Valve got the message that they messed up, but because they didn't want to scrap their new system, they updated TF2 again so that you could then get the new weapons via either the new random unlock system or the old Achievement unlock system.

What STjr. should do is bring back the old system in a way the current system can co-exist with it just like the 2 weapon unlock systems of TF2 co-exist with each other.

Glaber, we get your 'concerns'. Please don't feel the need to remind us with every damn post you make.

The only thing in SRB2 that really sets my fag alert alight are the level designs past THZ, all of which are just bloated and laggy as hell, with only a few neat ideas here and there occasionally. A good way to recreate CEZ for example is to make 15 50k fracunit sectors and connect them, and you're done.

Other then that, it's quite well done. I like the new enemies. (call me a retrofag though, I liked the old crawlas better) The new match levels are nice and the new weapons system is infinitely better then the old one, though it makes me wonder why we continue having a NormalRingToss key aside from just pure convenience. I haven't tried the new super mode gimmick of it though and I really wonder if it'll work okay or not. But I haven't played a proper game of match yet so I'll wait until then to decide.

I haven't gotten much farther then that into the game because software mode just kicks my computer's arse ten times over and it's really unplayable in dozens of scenarios. :< OpenGL pzl.

Also, new circuit levels ohnoez. I can't trail Mystic by one hundredth of a second anymore. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back