Fixed OpenGL always renders at 16:10 aspect ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Software rendering renders at the appropriate width/height ratio selected. But hardware rendering (OpenGL) seems to always render at 16:10 (the "green resolutions"), even if that doesn't match up with the width/height ratio selected. See the attached screenshots for an exaggerated example (double width/double height of a "green resolution").

Additionally, in software rendering, HUD elements are scaled based on the multiple of 320x200 resolution one chose (for example 640x399 would have the same HUD resolution as 320x200, but 640x400 would have HUD elements at 2x the width and height of 320x200, offsetting most HUD elements appropriately when applicable), while in hardware rendering (OpenGL), the HUD is assumed to always be scaled up to the selected resolution, regardless of whether the HUD will then be multiplied by an integer amount (like software) or a floating point value (something with decimals). I can provide an "exaggerated screenshot" of this as well if requested.

Attachments

• Horizontal.jpg
    Horizontal.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 415
  • Vertical.jpg
    Vertical.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 366
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually not sure if this is really a bug or not, if I must be honest. Seems kind of intentional in some ways... the HUD doesn't appear to try to act like software at all, it's literally the screen at the normal aspect ratio stretched out or squished in to fit those non-standard resolutions from the looks of it.

And yes, OpenGL has bugs. That doesn't need stating in a thread about an OpenGL bug in the bug reports forum though.

Last edited:
I'm actually not sure if this is really a bug or not, if I must be honest.
While yes, it's probably not something that's coded incorrectly in any way, more the lack of something to be coded, I think most people would consider "fix OpenGL rendering everything at the wrong aspect ratio" to work better as a bug report, not a feature suggestion. After all, software works expectedly, while OpenGL doesn't work like software at all in this regard. Can't quite explain what I mean, but you probably know what I mean.

Seems kind of intentional in some ways... the HUD doesn't appear to try to act like software at all, it's literally the screen at the normal aspect ratio stretched out or squished in to fit those non-standard resolutions from the looks of it.
Which I can't see how would be intentional. Why should a HUD element have some parts that are 1 pixel wider or taller than other parts of the same HUD element? Let alone that the width isn't even equal to the height? And don't forget, it's not just the HUD, but the in-game world itself too.

Resolution-specific field of view was just never implimented in openGL. At least this is better than the bad old days when a non-standard resolution would screw up the HUD in openGL at the same time it was stretching the screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back