Sonic Nitro Adventure (Huge Update + New Demo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has a lot of potential and I liked it.
I do have some(a lot of) suggestions:

-Faster spin attack. It's kind of pointless when it's so slow and you stop immediately.

-No spin attacking Amy. It has been scientifically proven that pink antromorphic hedgehogs can't spin.
...If you do keep it, get a better spinning sprite.

-Actual flying with Tails, not just a triple jump and some added floatiness. It goes exactly as high as Amy's double jump, which(needless to say) makes it kind of useless. Why not just use Amy then?

-Shadow's running sprite definitely needs to be improved. Just look at it. It's downright stupid(well, not that bad, but still).

-Overall tighter physics engine. For example, spin attack gains no velocity on slopes, which it should(Just look at Sonics 1,2 & 3). Also turning around(and decelerating in general) at high speeds is way too hard. It makes long jumps a pain in the... you know. You always overshoot your target.

Other than those...rather insignificant complaints, good job on this and keep it up.

P.S. Am I banned now for my first post being an IMPROVE DIS NA0 post?

Im tired of so many fangames to use the exact same sprites from Sonic Advance, I would prefer there not to be fangames than more sprit rips.

I played it, and it's, meh, okay.

Totally agree with everybody else about Shadow's running animation. I also kind of think his kicking attack is redundant.

Amy's way too slow with her hammer. The attack should be almost instantaneous. The idea to make her double-jump was good, though.

Tails needs a lot more flight time.

The visuals and sound effects were pretty good. Nice choice of music for the playable level. I think you could do better than "His World" for the main theme.

I like how you altered the path depending on the character. This could allow you to get really creative with the level design.

Finally, this is strictly a personal preference, but I'd like to be able to play as Knuckles at some point.

I'll give you a 3/5. Not bad, has a ways to go though.

The Dash panels speed you up, They don't slow you down. Yeah the stage music was customly made for SNA. The full game has 3 pairs, Sonic & Tails and Shadow & Amy, Shadow and Amy are a odd mix but the story will make sense, You swap characters for each stage. Oh and the speed is like it is because the stages ain't built for speed, Their mainly for platforming, The first stage is very simple and has enemies that does nothing, After that stage the enemies shoot and move and do a lot of other crap...

(SPOILER ALERT xD, DONT COMPLAIN IF YOU READ THIS.)
Super Sonic & Super Shadow are the 3rd pair, You play through the stages in hard mode. Your invincible and other stuff changes.

So yeah, I'm thinking of a Halloween demo featuring 2 pairs and 2 stages + 1 boss and 2 mini games, And for you people complaining about speed, There will be Mach Speed stages though you only get to Jump and run at very very high speed.

You play through the stages in hard mode. Your invincible and other stuff changes.
What? It's hard mode, but you're invincible? You must be joking.

And for you people complaining about speed, There will be Mach Speed stages though you only get to Jump and run at very very high speed.
No. This is the wrong way to make a Sonic game. The only people who will enjoy this will be the same people who slavishly heap praise upon you for mediocre demo releases and videos.

RegoTheAlien wrote...
"The Dash panels speed you up, They don't slow you down."

That's the main problem, as Tets said in the previous post. Dash panels / mach speed modes create an artificial and unrewarding sense of speed, which is a huge problem in all of the recent Sonic games. Allowing the character to build up speed on their own will be much more rewarding for the player.

This isn't to say that dash panels are completely bad, however. The majority of the Genesis games had them as level specific gimmicks, and they were used ingeniously in Stardust Speedway as both quick boosts and obstacles. If you have one level in your game that especially focuses on speed, I won't hold it against you if you use dash panels creatively and sparingly.

What? It's hard mode, but you're invincible? You must be joking.

No. This is the wrong way to make a Sonic game. The only people who will enjoy this will be the same people who slavishly heap praise upon you for mediocre demo releases and videos.

I mean that the stages change the paths to make it harder and some other stuff....

It's not that wrong since I get a load of PM's asking for other demo's to play and people have uploaded videos of them self playing my demo's and some other doodle.

And my game is based in Next Gen, Not Genesis. And well my mach speed stages won't force you forward, You still get to explore freely but it's mainly running. I may not do the mach speed parts, I'm not sure.

We've been over this before. It doesn't matter what generation your game is based on. Bad game design is bad game design period. Ignoring criticism is a horrible way to go about making a game of any kind.

I also noted in your last thread that just because you're getting positive feedback from users doesn't mean your game is any good. Being popular doesn't make something good. Did you forget, or are you willfully ignoring that as well?

RegoTheAlien wrote...
"The Dash panels speed you up, They don't slow you down."

That's the main problem, as Tets said in the previous post. Dash panels / mach speed modes create an artificial and unrewarding sense of speed, which is a huge problem in all of the recent Sonic games. Allowing the character to build up speed on their own will be much more rewarding for the player.

This isn't to say that dash panels are completely bad, however. The majority of the Genesis games had them as level specific gimmicks, and they were used ingeniously in Stardust Speedway as both quick boosts and obstacles. If you have one level in your game that especially focuses on speed, I won't hold it against you if you use dash panels creatively and sparingly.

I completely agree with Wombatwarlord's post. This is why the latest Sonic games have problem in terms of speed, because one little step on a speed pad gives you max "unatural" built up speed, I mean it's not bad all the time, but it's use continuously in the games almost every 5 seconds or something instead of the player trying to work hard to build up that speed which is a big problem in particularly the Sonic Rush series. The only decent times it should be used in certain speed gimmicks like the loops & the corkscrew loop things in Sonic 2.

We've been over this before. It doesn't matter what generation your game is based on. Bad game design is bad game design period. Ignoring criticism is a horrible way to go about making a game of any kind.

I also noted in your last thread that just because you're getting positive feedback from users doesn't mean your game is any good. Being popular doesn't make something good. Did you forget, or are you willfully ignoring that as well?

Many people have said "Awesome game, When's the full?" Stuff like that.

Anyway I'm almost done with the Mini Games. And my stages are mainly exploring + Killing enemies.

Can't wait to see the final then.

On another note, it's kind of depressing to see all these new 2D Sonic fangames, which are clearly inspired from the recent, speed-based games. It makes me think that if I were to make a fangame with tight controls and more interactive level design, the majority of Sonic fans would dismiss it as "too slow".

Thanks, Well I have been having some engine issues but it's nothing big. I have added Super Sonic in normal stages so you just find the Super Sonic item box and I also added wall jump and I have changed Bayside Harbor so it makes use of all Sonic's actions. And this game will now be a Sonic solo adventure. But you still get to be the other 3 characters for city based missions. And the Halloween demo will feature 2 stages + 1 boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back