Ring weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalGear

How do you use your ring weapons in match, CTF or tag? Do you just fight and recieve the weapons radomly by chance or do you find them first?

Discuss =D

I get them the same way I get my emeralds. On the floor or from enemies. (Or occasionally teammates)

I stock up on them first, Mainly Bomb, Grenade, And Scatter Rings.
Once I feel like I have enough, I go out with force. :3

I barely use them at all, the only ones you should expect me to use are the Scatter and Bomb rings. I seek those out, dodging everything I can, and then go on a RED RING RAMPAGE.

I change weapon depending on what I'm doing. For defending the flag, I find the bomb ring useful. For chasing someone with the flag, I use all kinds of weapons, like if it's a small area the bomb ring can, again, be useful, while in bigger areas, the Scatter rings are helpful. (For me anyway.) I don't really use the grenade ring at all. Scatter rings are good for chasing someone, or going to get the flag\returning with it. That's how I use them, anyway.

I usually get at least a couple Auto, Scatter, Bomb, and Rails, then go fight.

Especially Rail and Scatter, they're the two most useful, IMO.

Depends on the situation.

Target at close range? Explosion.
Target at medium range? Scatter.
Target at long range? Rail.
Target in an enclosed space? Automatic or Bounce.
Defending a location? Grenade or Explosion.

As far as all-round utility goes, I find Rail and Explosion to be my most used weapons, followed by Scatter and Automatic. Grenade and Bounce rings are pretty good for area denial, but are quite situational.

Grenade rings are useful for booby-trapping foes that are trying to grab your team's flag, and I've done it many times.

My favorite though has to be the scatter ring, especially when paired with Knuckles. I just find it a whole lot better than red rings in combat altogether.

A lot of the weapons are overpowered, underpowered, or just useless.

The mine bomb. Its OK I guess. But no one really falls for it.
Grenada - So Overpowered
Scatter - Its what the red ring should be.
Triangle - Ring waster
Slinger - Its kinda hard to aim in wide open areas.
Bounce - Useless almost all the time. And match isn't usually locked in a tiny area.

Autosaver said:

Grenada - So Overpowered
Triangle - Ring waster
Bounce - Useless almost all the time. And match isn't usually locked in a tiny area.

That's because you're using them in the wrong situations. Each has some kind of purpose. Bounce is good in small areas- which there are a lot of. Wether in be a cave in Jade Valley, or somewhere else.

^That wasn't my point. Its that every netgame I go in, its everyone in the open field.

Also screw all weapon rings. Just give me the bomb and I win.

Autosaver said:

Grenada - So Overpowered
Triangle - Ring waster
Weapons in SRB2 are not meant to be balanced. They're supposed to all have their own uses, but some are supposed to be better than others. These would be rare, and players will have to fight over them.

Anyways, weapon balance is better than before. In previous versions, the only useful weapons were Rail and Auto, and Rail was still much better. Now Rail, Scatter, and Auto are still the best, but the other weapons all have their uses as well.

@Autosaver: A rather, for want of a better word, simplistic strategy. It's a pretty bad one too.

I tend to abuse mine rings/scatter rings when I need a quick getaway, and then when I get far enough away into a secluded spot, I use the rail ring. When someone finds me, I switch to the bomb and blow them away and move, then repeat steps 1 and 2.

Kaysakado said:
Weapons in SRB2 are not meant to be balanced. They're supposed to all have their own uses, but some are supposed to be better than others. These would be rare, and players will have to fight over them.

Not exactly. They are supposed to have their own niche, but when it comes down to it we'd like to have all weapons be equally worth using in their given situations. Obviously ring weapon balancing is something we will be taking into consideration and possibly tweaking for future versions.

And obviously the basic red ring is the exception to the rule. It is supposed to be slightly less powerful and have more a more generalized use than the other weapons.

Jazz said:
Kaysakado said:

Not exactly. They are supposed to have their own niche, but when it comes down to it we'd like to have all weapons be equally worth using in their given situations. Obviously ring weapon balancing is something we will be taking into consideration and possibly tweaking for future versions.

And obviously the basic red ring is the exception to the rule. It is supposed to be slightly less powerful and have more a more generalized use than the other weapons.
Then why is Rail useful in every situation? D=

Especially as Knuckles, since he counter acts the low firing rate.

Jazz said:
Rail is only useful in every situation if you have zero ping and perfect aim. =P
But every other weapon also sucks if you don't have zero ping and perfect aim. Well, Scatter and Bomb and Grenade don't need aim, but still.

Also, Inuyasha tells me you're the one that made rings stop clipping when they got close to you when using the attraction shield. If so, I hate you. D=

Well I am glad for the new weapons and improvements. Sure I, for the most part, can't find the time to change weapons but i still get around with a bomb ring or two

Kaysakado said:
Also, Inuyasha tells me you're the one that made rings stop clipping when they got close to you when using the attraction shield. If so, I hate you. D=
Hey, hey. At least he had a reason for it.
Also, I did forget to mention that he made them noclip in the first place. =P

The weapons are intended to be unequal, and it's the player's job to use the proper weapon for the situation.

Automatic is amazing when you have the rings to burn. After a 1-up or any other time you have more than 100 rings, give auto a shot. You will be surprised how good it still is. Almost all the stages have areas with large amounts of rings to allow you to try your luck with automatic. As long as you've got ammo, it's still a terrifyingly strong weapon.

Bounce is amazing in small areas or area denial. It's also quite useful when you're in a small passage running from someone and you want to hit them without looking back. Throw some bounce rings at the far wall and they'll come back at him. I still find it most useful in the flag room in Silver Cascade, and other similar rooms with low amounts of space. You can turn such rooms into living hell.

Explosion is a great all-around weapon. Used at medium range, it packs a huge punch and can launch your opponent quite significantly. Used at point-blank range this is basically undodgable. If anything is possibly overpowered in 2.0 match, it's probably this.

Grenade is good for area denial and well as covering yourself while running. Most players won't watch you drop mines as you run, and will get hit, allowing you to escape clear, and with an extra 50 points. It is, as previously mentioned, mainly designed to allow you to defend your base in CTF, and it's quite good at that purpose if you know what you're doing.

Rail is still great for long-distance sniping, and is basically the only long-distance weapon in SRB2. It's also got more of a punch when it lands, which can be amusing in levels like Nimbus Ruins for launching other players into pits and other hazards. However, Rail now has to contend with the other weapons, which makes you quite vulnerable if someone comes up close to you and you miss them. If you miss and they have Scatter, you're likely in for a world of hurt.

Scatter is designed to be the point-blank weapon, although it's also pretty decent at medium range. The main goal when designing Scatter was to make a Shotgun-style weapon where aim wasn't as important and the important thing was making sure your opponent is somewhere near the center of the screen. Again, like Explosion, Scatter is a good all-around weapon for most situations.

While it's easy enough to just always select Explosion or Scatter and use them always, you're gimping yourself if you don't select the other weapons when the situation calls for it. All the weapons have a use, and if you use the best weapon for the situation you WILL do better in the new match system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back