Lower unpegged lower wall textures displayed wrong (may be Image Heavy))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I don't care remotely about this matter, but glaber, if you really find the new setup that problematic, explain what you're trying to do that this setup does not allow you to do. All I see here is a change to texture pegging and a new way to do the old behavior. What's the problem here at all?

Aside from whatever the exact issue is glaber is trying to bring up, there IS the matter of texture alignment in vanilla SRB2's levels themselves. How broken did it get when the behavior was changed for 2.1.15? More to the point did any custom levels get their texture alignments messed up as a result of this? This is kind of a backwards compatibility issue, this is not the sort of thing that SHOULD change for a patch to 2.1, whether it be easier or not to some people.

Now, if there IS an issue that should be noted, it's that Lower Unpegged now aligned with the lower floor instead of the higher ceiling breaks (or at least makes harder) the possibility of making a bottom and top copy of the same texture align together such that if the gap between was filled with the same texture it would tile seamlessly. It'd be easier to explain with an image to be fair though.

But due to SRB2's Max speed, we normally can't uses these linedefs as sonic can just thok right through them into the void of endless mass.

Actually this is shouldn't be the case anymore, the main issues regarding going through such walls were fixed. Also, MAXMOVE has since been removed anyway.

Last edited:
Now, I don't care remotely about this matter, but glaber, if you really find the new setup that problematic, explain what you're trying to do that this setup does not allow you to do. All I see here is a change to texture pegging and a new way to do the old behavior. What's the problem here at all?
The problem I have with it is that it now no longer lines up with the expected behavior of every other Doom-engine title out there. YMMV on how major that is, but it'll probably be nagging at me for a while.

No, but if "the new behaviour" of Lower Unpegged is sticking the texture to the lower floor, that's a good thing. Now, instead of having to see "alright, how far up to the ceiling, what's the height of this wall, got it, now which do I minus with which", now people just have to see "alright, got it". If you want to align something, just, I don't know, move the texture vertically by however much the floor has changed? Or just don't use Lower Unpegged?
You're overthinking this a tad. Unpegging really only becomes useful if you can't align both the Upper and Lower textures the same way, or are feeling too lazy to do much alignment yourself and expect unpegging to do the vertical bit of it for you (Lord know that latter one's been me, numerous times over - texture alignment is tedious).

Beyond that, go into Visual Mode, click vertically-misaligned texture, click adjacent correctly-vertically-aligned texture, hit Shift-A while focusing on the correctly-aligned linedef, done.

Ok, if you remember how lower unpegged worked in Doom and older versions of SRB2, it drew the lower texture from the highest floor down, and the mid texture from the highest floor up. When it worked this way I could attach the mid texture to the ground and have the walls next to it align right.
The only real alignment problems I encountered before were with the upper textures on the outside of tunnels using this flag. However, those problems were not only minimal, but manageable too as it could be worked around by adjusting the inner sector's ceiling so the outer upper texture would be aligned with the other wall textures to either side.

With this new behavior I now have to make the floor in front of lines with the lower unpegged tag flat and even. I can't make stairs next to them without them being certain heights or even use slopes next to them without messing up the lower texture for the same reason.

I hate to say this, but while I thought the old behavior was still in there, it's not. Peg Midtexture does not work the way lower unpegged did as it only changes where the midtexture is drawn from without affecting the lower or upper textures.

This actually is not a backwards compatibility issue, it's a level design one!
Let me show a few other spots of my map that are affected. In all my examples I was trying to get my textures aligned with the GFZGRASS texture on the ground.
All from 2.1.15, in software mode, using lower unpegged
srb20043_1.png

srb20026_1.png

srb20027_1.png
This one has an fof's texture affected. (The fof is part of the wall due to using vertex slopes) So this one happened after I put in the slopes.
srb20038_1.png

srb20036_1.png

srb20045_1.png

srb20037_1.png
The only solution I can even figure out is to move to even out the floor right up against the affected wall. Some spots don't even look right with peg midtexture because they're sloped walls and start drawing from a different height. (Such as my jump ramp)

Now I suppose my level alone is not enough, so how about some more examples, but from vanilla SRB2?
Green Flower
srb20046_1.png

srb20047_1.png

srb20048_1.png

srb20049_1.png
srb20050_1.png

srb20056_1.png

srb20058_2.png

srb20060_1.png
I got way too many pictures from Green Flower alone. but what they're showing is that all the lower textures on lines with lower unpegged being drawn from the lowest floor up, are now harder to align than upper textures with uneven ceilings

I should note, no one has even shown even a single screen shot where this new behavior is an improvement. the only person I've seen come up with a solution that makes sence is RedEnchilada

I also grabbed screen shots from Mystic Realm. that mod was affected too.
srb20129_1.png

srb20124_1.png

srb20123_1.png

srb20125_1.png

srb20130_1.png

Glaber, posting images from maps that haven't been updated to reflect the new behavior of Lower Unpegged means...... literally nothing? I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with those GFZ and JCZ screenshots. I think what you're pointing out in general, though, is that the change makes it more difficult to line up textures when the lower floor is uneven. But it doesn't, because the default behavior without Lower Unpegged makes it the texture attach to the upper floor, which in the majority of your screenshots IS even. When both floors are uneven, well... that's what the Y offset is for.

The only situation where the old system would be useful for this particular problem is when both floors are uneven, and the lower ceiling is even. But it's completely unintuitive (at least imo) to have a lower texture attach to a ceiling that it's not even touching. Not to mention that the behavior is now equivelant to Upper Unpegged. Even if the new system made things a little harder (which I still don't think it does) it makes things much easier to understand.

Have you used it?

How are we even suppose to update our maps for this?! My custom one, Emerald Lake, is actually in the process of being updated and it's because of that process that I discovered this problem!

Have you even mapped for a previous version of SRB2 or DOOM?

Last edited:
By using the Peg Midtexture flag where appropriate instead. You know, the flag that was made to snap midtextures to the bottom of a wall without affecting the lower texture.

Let me show you a wall that can't be fixed with peg midtexture.
20160612195409_1.jpg

This is from Zone builder. the current version used the old behavior of the lower unpegged flag. The line on the left of the tunnel uses the old behavior of lower unpegged. the right one used peg midtexture. The walls on either side of them have a vertical offset of 0. the front sector has and even floor and ceiling, and the back sector also has a even floor and ceiling against the line.

Here's that same wall in 2.1.15 software
srb20135.png

the left line now displays 2.1.15's behavior, and the right now has a manual offset of -640, the height of the sector behind the line inside the tunnel. there is no change in the x offset.

Also here's my experimental map where I got some of the screen shots if anyone cares.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epxk185wwia3tcg/lowerunpeggy.wad?dl=0
Feel free to experiment with it or otherwise prove me wrong and show me that we don't need the old behavior at all.

I'm very sure this texture alignment issue will pop up in the various custom maps in the future. I'll be keeping an eye on the level releases.

the only thing I can suggest is to add another flag the used the old behavior.

Also here's my experimental map where I got some of the screen shots if anyone cares.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epxk185wwia3tcg/lowerunpeggy.wad?dl=0
Feel free to experiment with it or otherwise prove me wrong and show me that we don't need the old behavior at all.

Here's what I'm seeing:

2.1.14: Groups 1, 3, and 5 all work simply by adding Lower Unpegged. 2, 4, and 6 do not.

2.1.15: Groups 1, 3, and 6 all work simply by adding Lower Unpegged. 2, 4, and 5 do not.

I fucked around a little and couldn't get 2 or 4 to render correctly using either method. And I couldn't get 6 to work under the old system or 5 to work under the new one.

Then I realized I don't give a single shit about any of this. DOOM has had rendering limitations since 1993. Maybe you should look into Linedef Type 222.

FOFs use the y offset of the control linedef and the x offset of the in-map lines, so that sounds like a good idea for the manufactured scenario Glaber has created.

We can't add more flags because all our flags do things on in-map linedefs. Except Transfer Line, but that would have the dubious honour of messing up the alignment on the already broken transferred FOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back